Sitting with hunger.... - Forums at Psych Central


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 12:21 PM #1
Sometimes psychotic's Avatar
Sometimes psychotic Sometimes psychotic is offline
Legendary
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 19,072
Sometimes psychotic Sometimes psychotic is offline
Legendary
Sometimes psychotic's Avatar
Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 19,072 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
18.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sitting with hunger....

Do you think youíre less likely to tolerate sitting with hunger on meds or post illness.....is it more about hunger or more about a general lack of impulse control. Iím thinking I have less Ability to tolerate unpleasant situations in general like studying or not eating when hungry etc. Just wondering how it is for you all.
__________________
visit my blog at https://mindovermemory.home.blog
Sometimes psychotic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:37 PM #2
SorryShaped's Avatar
SorryShaped SorryShaped is offline
Magnate
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,843
SorryShaped SorryShaped is offline
Magnate
SorryShaped's Avatar
SorryShaped has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,843 (SuperPoster!)

2 yr Member
Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

Kind of depends on the day/time/situation/randomness. I'll give in to cravings at times and enjoy them fully. Most of the time, though, I manage, or not, to keep myself back and move focus to other things
SorryShaped is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-28-2018, 07:00 PM #3
Findingreason's Avatar
Findingreason Findingreason is offline
Resident Queer Girl
Chat Moderator
Chat Leader
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,094
Findingreason Findingreason is offline
Resident Queer Girl
Chat Moderator
Chat Leader
Findingreason's Avatar
Findingreason is on the mend.
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,094 (SuperPoster!)

2 yr Member
4,726 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes psychotic View Post
Do you think youíre less likely to tolerate sitting with hunger on meds or post illness.....is it more about hunger or more about a general lack of impulse control. Iím thinking I have less Ability to tolerate unpleasant situations in general like studying or not eating when hungry etc. Just wondering how it is for you all.
I think for me its a lack of impulse control...I was actually just talking to my wife and partner about impulses and APs. Dopamine is an important chemical in the brain, and APs decrease it...so I wonder, if our brains crave it and it results in more impulsive behavior. Perhaps that's why so many people with sz struggle with smoking....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19794359
Findingreason is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-28-2018, 07:37 PM #4
Sometimes psychotic's Avatar
Sometimes psychotic Sometimes psychotic is offline
Legendary
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 19,072
Sometimes psychotic Sometimes psychotic is offline
Legendary
Sometimes psychotic's Avatar
Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 19,072 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
18.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findingreason View Post
I think for me its a lack of impulse control...I was actually just talking to my wife and partner about impulses and APs. Dopamine is an important chemical in the brain, and APs decrease it...so I wonder, if our brains crave it and it results in more impulsive behavior. Perhaps that's why so many people with sz struggle with smoking....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19794359
I have to agree itís almost inducing adhd or add in my opinion.......just by the mechanism of action......
__________________
visit my blog at https://mindovermemory.home.blog
Sometimes psychotic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:09 PM #5
Anonymous59893
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Anonymous59893
Guest
Anonymous59893 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a

Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

I've always been very controlled, and I don't think my experiences or meds have changed that. The only exception was fluoxetine, which made me really dysphoric and impulsive, and was completely out of character for me, as I'm not remotely impulsive. It was actually really scary at the time. Thankfully, it went away when I stopped the fluoxetine.

The mechanism of action of AD(H)D is even more unclear than sz, but they think it might be low dopamine in the frontal parts of the brain, which is similar to with sz. However, aripiprazole is a partial D2 agonist and so it is supposed to increase dopamine functioning in the frontal areas where levels are lower. So I'm not sure if I'd blame the aripiprazole...Honestly, I'd be more likely to blame the underlying problem than the med in this instance.

There's also mixed info about whether willpower is a finite resource. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if it leans more than one way than the other. But I do remember reading this paper about how thinking that willpower is a finite resource makes it so, which is interesting and I can well imagine that'd be the case.

It could be that your priorities have changed since being ill, and so denying yourself things, or forcing yourself to do things that you don't want to do is no longer something you want to do deep down...?? Or maybe you're just out of the habit, idk?

*Willow*
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:13 PM #6
Sometimes psychotic's Avatar
Sometimes psychotic Sometimes psychotic is offline
Legendary
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 19,072
Sometimes psychotic Sometimes psychotic is offline
Legendary
Sometimes psychotic's Avatar
Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 19,072 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
18.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow23 View Post
I've always been very controlled, and I don't think my experiences or meds have changed that. The only exception was fluoxetine, which made me really dysphoric and impulsive, and was completely out of character for me, as I'm not remotely impulsive. It was actually really scary at the time. Thankfully, it went away when I stopped the fluoxetine.

The mechanism of action of AD(H)D is even more unclear than sz, but they think it might be low dopamine in the frontal parts of the brain, which is similar to with sz. However, aripiprazole is a partial D2 agonist and so it is supposed to increase dopamine functioning in the frontal areas where levels are lower. So I'm not sure if I'd blame the aripiprazole...Honestly, I'd be more likely to blame the underlying problem than the med in this instance.

There's also mixed info about whether willpower is a finite resource. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if it leans more than one way than the other. But I do remember reading this paper about how thinking that willpower is a finite resource makes it so, which is interesting and I can well imagine that'd be the case.

It could be that your priorities have changed since being ill, and so denying yourself things, or forcing yourself to do things that you don't want to do is no longer something you want to do deep down...?? Or maybe you're just out of the habit, idk?

*Willow*
All of those are possibilities but here is my logic for thinking itís the meds. A partial agonist at d2 is still less than native dopamine so it still blocks dopamine and actually binds more efffectively than any other AP because itís a partial agonist. So itís still dopamine blockade which is how APs all work. The meds for add/adhd function by increasing dopamine, they are basically speed, that suggests that adhd is in part caused by too low of dopamine. This is why I think it could be the meds.
__________________
visit my blog at https://mindovermemory.home.blog
Sometimes psychotic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:15 PM #7
downandlonely downandlonely is offline
Poohbah
Chat Moderator
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 2,261
downandlonely downandlonely is offline
Poohbah
Chat Moderator
downandlonely has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 2,261 (SuperPoster!)

Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

I found that I eat a lot more since I started anti-depressants. But before I didn't eat enough (maybe because I was depressed).
downandlonely is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 PM #8
Day Tripper's Avatar
Day Tripper Day Tripper is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,362
Day Tripper Day Tripper is offline
Grand Magnate
Day Tripper's Avatar
Day Tripper Hugs to all the ladies!
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,362 (SuperPoster!)

3 yr Member
1,998 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

When i was on Risperdone it was torture because i was always hungry. I didn't want just anything, i wanted something sweet, not artificial, sugar, sugar, sugar. I couldn't go an hour without wanting some to eat and i gained 55lbs. But do to the weight, loss fo sex drive, blurry vision, me and my pdoc got in a screaming fit and he finally let me have my way and i got on Geodon, and my life went back to normal. Hunger is pain. I couldn't stand the suffering.
Day Tripper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 AM #9
junkDNA's Avatar
junkDNA junkDNA is offline
Comfy Sedation
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: the woods
Posts: 18,380
junkDNA junkDNA is offline
Comfy Sedation
junkDNA's Avatar
junkDNA laugh all the way to hell
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: the woods
Posts: 18,380 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
7,798 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

I rarely feel the physical sensations of hunger. idk why I guess I just suppressed it so much. however when I take my seroquel at night is when I'm most likely to eat. so I typically wait all day to eat at night. lol. I know it's super unhealthy tho.
__________________
junkDNA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:00 PM #10
Blue_Bird's Avatar
Blue_Bird Blue_Bird is online now
Legendary
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 16,523
Blue_Bird Blue_Bird is online now
Legendary
Blue_Bird's Avatar
Blue_Bird is feeling great!
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 16,523 (SuperPoster!)

5 yr Member
5,086 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

I have impulse control problems with food no doubt considering the eating disorder but it has gotten a bit better since I've gotten off Invega
__________________


R.I.P mom 8/6/55-1/15/16
Blue_Bird is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .

Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please read the full disclaimer.