Legendary

Legendary
Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!

5 yr Member
18.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sitting with hunger....

Do you think youíre less likely to tolerate sitting with hunger on meds or post illness.....is it more about hunger or more about a general lack of impulse control. Iím thinking I have less Ability to tolerate unpleasant situations in general like studying or not eating when hungry etc. Just wondering how it is for you all.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:37 PM #2
Magnate

Magnate
SorryShaped has no updates.

2 yr Member
Default Re: Sitting with hunger....

Kind of depends on the day/time/situation/randomness. I'll give in to cravings at times and enjoy them fully. Most of the time, though, I manage, or not, to keep myself back and move focus to other things
SorryShaped is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-28-2018, 07:00 PM #3
Resident Queer Girl
Chat Moderator
Chat Leader

Resident Queer Girl
Chat Moderator
Chat Leader
Findingreason is on the mend.

2 yr Member
4,726 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes psychotic View Post
Do you think youíre less likely to tolerate sitting with hunger on meds or post illness.....is it more about hunger or more about a general lack of impulse control. Iím thinking I have less Ability to tolerate unpleasant situations in general like studying or not eating when hungry etc. Just wondering how it is for you all.
I think for me its a lack of impulse control...I was actually just talking to my wife and partner about impulses and APs. Dopamine is an important chemical in the brain, and APs decrease it...so I wonder, if our brains crave it and it results in more impulsive behavior. Perhaps that's why so many people with sz struggle with smoking....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19794359
Findingreason is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-28-2018, 07:37 PM #4
Legendary

Legendary

5 yr Member
18.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findingreason View Post
I think for me its a lack of impulse control...I was actually just talking to my wife and partner about impulses and APs. Dopamine is an important chemical in the brain, and APs decrease it...so I wonder, if our brains crave it and it results in more impulsive behavior. Perhaps that's why so many people with sz struggle with smoking....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19794359
I have to agree itís almost inducing adhd or add in my opinion.......just by the mechanism of action......
Old 04-29-2018, 05:09 PM #5
Anonymous59893

Anonymous59893
Anonymous59893 has no updates. Edit

I've always been very controlled, and I don't think my experiences or meds have changed that. The only exception was fluoxetine, which made me really dysphoric and impulsive, and was completely out of character for me, as I'm not remotely impulsive. It was actually really scary at the time. Thankfully, it went away when I stopped the fluoxetine.

The mechanism of action of AD(H)D is even more unclear than sz, but they think it might be low dopamine in the frontal parts of the brain, which is similar to with sz. However, aripiprazole is a partial D2 agonist and so it is supposed to increase dopamine functioning in the frontal areas where levels are lower. So I'm not sure if I'd blame the aripiprazole...Honestly, I'd be more likely to blame the underlying problem than the med in this instance.

There's also mixed info about whether willpower is a finite resource. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if it leans more than one way than the other. But I do remember reading this paper about how thinking that willpower is a finite resource makes it so, which is interesting and I can well imagine that'd be the case.

It could be that your priorities have changed since being ill, and so denying yourself things, or forcing yourself to do things that you don't want to do is no longer something you want to do deep down...?? Or maybe you're just out of the habit, idk?

*Willow*
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:13 PM #6
Legendary

Legendary

5 yr Member
18.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow23 View Post
I've always been very controlled, and I don't think my experiences or meds have changed that. The only exception was fluoxetine, which made me really dysphoric and impulsive, and was completely out of character for me, as I'm not remotely impulsive. It was actually really scary at the time. Thankfully, it went away when I stopped the fluoxetine.

The mechanism of action of AD(H)D is even more unclear than sz, but they think it might be low dopamine in the frontal parts of the brain, which is similar to with sz. However, aripiprazole is a partial D2 agonist and so it is supposed to increase dopamine functioning in the frontal areas where levels are lower. So I'm not sure if I'd blame the aripiprazole...Honestly, I'd be more likely to blame the underlying problem than the med in this instance.

There's also mixed info about whether willpower is a finite resource. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if it leans more than one way than the other. But I do remember reading this paper about how thinking that willpower is a finite resource makes it so, which is interesting and I can well imagine that'd be the case.

It could be that your priorities have changed since being ill, and so denying yourself things, or forcing yourself to do things that you don't want to do is no longer something you want to do deep down...?? Or maybe you're just out of the habit, idk?

*Willow*
All of those are possibilities but here is my logic for thinking itís the meds. A partial agonist at d2 is still less than native dopamine so it still blocks dopamine and actually binds more efffectively than any other AP because itís a partial agonist. So itís still dopamine blockade which is how APs all work. The meds for add/adhd function by increasing dopamine, they are basically speed, that suggests that adhd is in part caused by too low of dopamine. This is why I think it could be the meds.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:15 PM #7
Poohbah
Chat Moderator

Poohbah
Chat Moderator
downandlonely has no updates.

I found that I eat a lot more since I started anti-depressants. But before I didn't eat enough (maybe because I was depressed).
downandlonely is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 PM #8
Grand Magnate

Grand Magnate
Day Tripper Hugs to all the ladies!

3 yr Member
1,998 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

When i was on Risperdone it was torture because i was always hungry. I didn't want just anything, i wanted something sweet, not artificial, sugar, sugar, sugar. I couldn't go an hour without wanting some to eat and i gained 55lbs. But do to the weight, loss fo sex drive, blurry vision, me and my pdoc got in a screaming fit and he finally let me have my way and i got on Geodon, and my life went back to normal. Hunger is pain. I couldn't stand the suffering.
Day Tripper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 AM #9
Comfy Sedation

Comfy Sedation
junkDNA laugh all the way to hell

5 yr Member
7,798 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I rarely feel the physical sensations of hunger. idk why I guess I just suppressed it so much. however when I take my seroquel at night is when I'm most likely to eat. so I typically wait all day to eat at night. lol. I know it's super unhealthy tho.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:00 PM #10
Legendary

Legendary
Blue_Bird is feeling great!

5 yr Member
5,086 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have impulse control problems with food no doubt considering the eating disorder but it has gotten a bit better since I've gotten off Invega

R.I.P mom 8/6/55-1/15/16
Blue_Bird is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: