Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Schizoaffective Disorder

advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Grand Member

Aviza has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
21 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Living alone

Do any of you live alone? If so, how long? How's it going? If your family wanted you to stay living with them, would you rather? What are some positives of being on your own? My diagonis is schizoaffective or bi polar with psychosis. The psychosis is my problem. And i worry about a break if i am alone too much. My family doesn't think i can live on my own. Because when i have i broke down. But there were other factors at the time.

I asked my case manager what would happen if i broke down. They would talk to my psych doctor, i would stay in my apartment. So that helps i thought they would ship me off to a group home.
Roprinole 5 mgs. x3/day
Coumadin 7 1/2 mgs.
Aviza is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
Nix
Veteran Member

Nix has no updates.

3 yr Member
36 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Living alone

What part of living alone are you worried about? Isolation? Or not being able to take care of yourself like cooking, cleaning and paying bills?

I had to live with my parents for quite a few months after I was hospitalized when I was very ill because I couldn't care for myself. But now I am living as a single parent and doing OK. So I am not living alone, but I am solely responsible for adult things and running the household.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Grand Member

Aviza has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
21 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Worried about isolation, being alone too much, talking outloud to myself.
Roprinole 5 mgs. x3/day
Coumadin 7 1/2 mgs.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Grand Member

Deejay14 has no updates.

My Mood:

25 hugs
given

See if you can find some meet up groups or ask your case manager if there is anything she might be aware of for you socially. Can you have a small pet in your apartment?
True happiness comes not when we get rid of all our problems, but when we change our relationship to them, when we see our problems as a potential source of awakening, opportunities to practice patience and learn.~Richard Carlson
Deejay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Grand Member

Aviza has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
21 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay14 View Post
See if you can find some meet up groups or ask your case manager if there is anything she might be aware of for you socially. Can you have a small pet in your apartment?
Yes pets are allowed but affording one is tough, they are expensive.
Roprinole 5 mgs. x3/day
Coumadin 7 1/2 mgs.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:21 AM   #6
Grand Member
bpforever1 has no updates.

My Mood:

778 hugs
given

I live alone and talk to myself too. My parents always wanted me to live alone after being hospitalized. I don't know the reason. I've gotten used to living alone and do everything on my own. It is difficult to be alone. You have to do everything from paying bills to taking care of your place. It is not easy. However, I like my freedom but it comes at a cost. The cost is that when you need help, you have to ask others in your family or make friends who can help you which I have not been able to yet. Besides this, life is manageable and ok.
bpforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
Legendary

Blue_Bird has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,437 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I was kind of thrown into living on my own after the death of my mom, and I truly was not ready for it. The schizoaffective made it terrible. I had initially thought I was really doing good. I wasn't really aware that I wasn't cleaning my apartment for several months and barely getting out of bed, delusional half of the time, just having trouble upon trouble, in my mind nothing was wrong. I am able to handle it now but it took almost 2 years for me to get the hang of it. and being a lot more stable has helped. I think it would have been hard for me even without the mental problems, they just made it a complete nightmare. I was in my own world, never leaving the house.

I'm not trying to scare you, living on your own is a wonderful thing, and now I'm actually doing very well with it but it's something you've really got to prepare for. There are things that can help the transition though case managers, etc.

Feel free to join our Schizoaffective Support Group: http://forums.psychcentral.com/group...e-support.html

R.I.P mom 8/6/55-1/15/16
Blue_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
Legendary

Blue_Bird has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,437 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have 2 cats and they help me a lot. They are very friendly and I don't feel as lonely as I probably would without them because I have little to no social life

Feel free to join our Schizoaffective Support Group: http://forums.psychcentral.com/group...e-support.html

R.I.P mom 8/6/55-1/15/16
Blue_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
Grand Member

Aviza has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
21 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Well after seeing a house today i am really leaning toward staying with mom. It's more divided so i would have my own space in her space which would be better, the current house is more open.

My potential apartment is small and not a lot of jobs in the area. Sure i would keep my same case manager whom i really like, but I'm always more stable with company i.e. mom. I also wouldn't get to decorate my way. But I would have more expendable income.

Tough decision but right now i want to stay with mom. Yesterday i wanted my own apartment. I don't do well with pressure.
Roprinole 5 mgs. x3/day
Coumadin 7 1/2 mgs.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
Grand Member

Aviza has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
21 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviza View Post
Well after seeing a house today i am really leaning toward staying with mom. It's more divided so i would have my own space in her space which would be better, the current house is more open.

My potential apartment is small and not a lot of jobs in the area. Sure i would keep my same case manager whom i really like, but I'm always more stable with company i.e. mom. I also wouldn't get to decorate my way. But I would have more expendable income.

Tough decision but right now i want to stay with mom. Yesterday i wanted my own apartment. I don't do well with pressure.
Mom decided not to put an offer on it. She chsnged her mind so back to drawing board.
Roprinole 5 mgs. x3/day
Coumadin 7 1/2 mgs.