Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Schizoaffective Disorder

advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
Sc2894 has no updates.

Default Just a question

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder a few months ago, and i have just a general question. Did you notice your delusions and voices appearing gradually or all at once? Mine appeared very infrequently at first, but have become daily over the past couple of weeks, despite my medication.
Sc2894 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
captainharvest has no updates.

Default Re: Just a question

Hello, mine were happening for many, many years and I kinda tolerated them. I was also properly diagnosed recently and things have been getting worse for me since then. It's almost like I'm more in tune with them and focusing on them which makes it harder to get rid of them. I don't have any solutions yet, but I won't stop looking.
captainharvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

LacunaCoiler has no updates.

5 yr Member
21 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Mind tend to appear gradually. First it starts with delusions and paranoia before I start seeing the shadow people. Once I start seeing them they don't go away and they just sit there and watch me, which freaks me out. But when I up my ap they, and the paranoia/delusions, go away.

BTW, welcome to the boards.

LacunaCoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Legendary

Miguel'smom has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,558 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Mine was gradual. I get more freaked out now that I know that it's part of my illness and not just a quirk.
Son- mood disorder nos

Comfortable broken and happy
Miguel'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
Poohbah
still_crazy has no updates.

2,104 hugs
given

hi. I think everyone is somewhat different, especially w/ Schizoaffective ((there's a wider variety of symptoms and such in Schizoaffective than in, say, Bipolar I, or so it seem...)).

I've been medicated and taking supplements for a good while now, and...I'm just now becoming aware that I -still- sometimes hear voices, and that's somewhat frightening. I think I just kind of rolled with it, before the psych drugs, and because I was "out there," ina big way, for a while...I've only recently entered the realm of genuine lucidity.

Try not to focus on the voices too much. There's a group, The Hearing Voices Network, that offers support to people who hear voices. Predictably, a lot of the members are on (or have been on...) psych drugs, but not all of them have been treated or are in treatment. The idea is to offer support and non-medical ways of dealing with the voices.

Good luck to you.
still_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Sc2894 has no updates.

Thanks to everyone for responding to my question! It's nice knowing that there are people that understand my struggle. When I was first diagnosed, the voices were very infrequent, but they were much stronger. I've been taking quetiapine for almost 2 months now though, and while the voices have become more frequent, they've become pretty easy to control.
Sc2894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Seqoya has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
15 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc2894 View Post
I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder a few months ago, and i have just a general question. Did you notice your delusions and voices appearing gradually or all at once? Mine appeared very infrequently at first, but have become daily over the past couple of weeks, despite my medication.
Looking back mine did not appear all at once. But it wasn't over a long period of time that they appeared either.

However, I actually had Type Two Bipolar without any Psychosis, for I believe at least eight years starting before I turned 18, looking back.

I wasn't diagnosed with Bipolar that many years sooner. I was diagnosed with Bipolar three years before the Schizoaffective Disorder came on and I was told that the Mental Health Professionals were as sure as they could possibly be without doing a blood test, which there isn't one for Bipolar.

I'm postive that there was no Psychosis and that I did have Bipolar Disorder earlier before the Schizoaffective Disorder like I said.

I could be wrong but I don't think adults that have Bipolar Disorder have it turn into Schizoaffective Disorder often at all, especially after they've had the Bipolar as long as I'd had it.

However, I'm convinced that's what happened with me considering my psychiatric history and diagnosis.
Seqoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Poohbah

happycheeks has no updates.

My Mood:

192 hugs
given
Trig Re: Just a question

I'm not diagnosed but it started when I was 20. It freaked me out and I thought it was God talking to me. Pastors tried to pray it away but that didn't help. It started all of a sudden but gradually. I realised that it's nothing spiritual but it's my brain. I started hearing voices but I couldn't totally understand what they were saying. They start randomly or when I'm stressed. Then now, sometimes I see things and some of it freak me out a little.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
Grand Member

franz kafka has no updates.

My Mood:

27 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seqoya View Post
Looking back mine did not appear all at once. But it wasn't over a long period of time that they appeared either.

However, I actually had Type Two Bipolar without any Psychosis, for I believe at least eight years starting before I turned 18, looking back.

I wasn't diagnosed with Bipolar that many years sooner. I was diagnosed with Bipolar three years before the Schizoaffective Disorder came on and I was told that the Mental Health Professionals were as sure as they could possibly be without doing a blood test, which there isn't one for Bipolar.

I'm postive that there was no Psychosis and that I did have Bipolar Disorder earlier before the Schizoaffective Disorder like I said.

I could be wrong but I don't think adults that have Bipolar Disorder have it turn into Schizoaffective Disorder often at all, especially after they've had the Bipolar as long as I'd had it.

However, I'm convinced that's what happened with me considering my psychiatric history and diagnosis.
I had bipolar for a long time before the psychosis became more prominent. I don't know how common it is to develop SZA after having bipolar for a long time, but I can relate to your experiences.

https://bpphd.wordpress.com/
franz kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Aviza has no updates.

5 yr Member
14 hugs
given

Mine started with the death of my dad. Suddenly.
Aviza is offline   Reply With Quote