Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Schizoaffective Disorder

advertisement

Old 06-22-2017, 03:34 AM   #1
Iman has no updates.

3 yr Member
5 hugs
given
Default Paranoid and delusional thoughts, do they ever go away?

Question for the group. I am taking 800mg Seroquel, 60mg Prozac, 4mg Klonopin, 40mg Benzotropin. I still have paranoid thoughts, i just dont act on them like i did before medications. I had expected they would go away completely. Anybody have experience with this. For me it seems the medications slow me down, by the time i might start reacting to the paranoia or strange thoughts, conversation's in my head etc.... My clouded thinking from the drugs causes me to loose interest or just plain forget. This leaves me with a sense of more confusion. I wish thesethoughts would stop. I dont know what those people who had lobotomies felt in the 1950's but i think this how it must have felt. Chemicaly restrained, the pain comes from knowing something and nothing at the same time. it is a prison without bars.
Iman is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Paranoidkid209 has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Re: Paranoid and delusional thoughts, do they ever go away?

I suffer from schizoaffective disorder too what kind of paranoid thoughts do you have?
Paranoidkid209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #3

NeedHaldol has no updates.

I still have a psychotic thoughts despite being on a good cocktail of meds. I do also have paranoid thoughts about others putting thoughts in my head or reading my mind and looking for hidden meanings in things, but the meds help a lot.

The haze from the meds will wear off as you get used to them. You will never be cured, but the meds are supposed to limit the symptoms of your illness.

If the meds you're on aren't working, tell you psychiatrist. They should be able to adjust your meds. It's not about your diagnosis, it's about treating your symptoms.
NeedHaldol is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
Iman has no updates.

3 yr Member
5 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidkid209 View Post
I suffer from schizoaffective disorder too what kind of paranoid thoughts do you have?
Among others, my food has been poisened, people are after me. the other one that is frequent is aliens took me when i was a child. Then the are the ones i enjoy such as i can implant thoughts into people and they will do the things that i want them to do. This one is hard to give up as it seems to still work even with the meds. i still have a constant word jumbled conversation in my head, probably the meds messing with me. I don't trust anyone fully not anyone, ever. Writing this makes me feel even more defective. I had many hours needs would cheat most of not all of these issues. They help but have so many other downsides. I just don't care anymore (sometimes), that is probably the meds messing with my brain.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Iman has no updates.

3 yr Member
5 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHaldol View Post
I still have a psychotic thoughts despite being on a good cocktail of meds. I do also have paranoid thoughts about others putting thoughts in my head or reading my mind and looking for hidden meanings in things, but the meds help a lot.

The haze from the meds will wear off as you get used to them. You will never be cured, but the meds are supposed to limit the symptoms of your illness.

If the meds you're on aren't working, tell you psychiatrist. They should be able to adjust your meds. It's not about your diagnosis, it's about treating your symptoms.
P Doc just want to drug me more or Fry my brain with many ECT AND MORE DRUGS.. last time, a few weeks ago, they tried to get me to go for a series of ECT. I am afraid. I think there just want to burn out what little brain i have, turn me into a totally compliant other complacent person... When i can barely think or talk he tells me how good i am doing,. Yes if i stare at the wall and don't talk or complain or ask questions, ok guess that's the goal.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

neodoering is struggling to be a source of light

My Mood:

6 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman View Post
Chemicaly restrained, the pain comes from knowing something and nothing at the same time. it is a prison without bars.
I have been SZA for 11 years, and the illness goes through times of fewer symptoms and times of tons of symptoms. Meds sometimes help, CBT sometimes helps, but I have experienced no cure. The best I can do is a tolerable illness.

I hope you can find a medicine that does a better job of lessening your symptoms. Should I say, try daily exercise, cut down the alcohol consumption, give up street drugs, and eat healthy?
neodoering is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Poohbah
still_crazy has no updates.

2,165 hugs
given

hi. in my experience, the psych drugs at first reduce agitation, anxiety, etc...especially the tranquilizers/antipsychotics. as time goes on, i've found that i have fewer psychotic "problems" overall. part the psych drugs, part Orthomolecular (its high dose vitamins and antixoidants...seriously: I recommend it to everyone, especially those of us on psych drugs...), and part psychosocial factors getting so, so much better. Oh, and of course...my faith. After I became a Christian, my "symptoms" began to improve remarkably.

OK. If this doctor is loading you up and now recommending ECT, my personal suggestion would be to look elsewhere for treatment. Psychiatrists are...interesting. By "interesting," I mean that some of them genuinely help, as best they can. Others seem much more motivated by power, profit, and (I hate to say this...) straight up sadism.

I glanced over your psych drug line up. I'm hardly one to give any advice, much less "expert" advice, but 60mgs/Prozac is a lot. In some people, that much Prozac can cause agitation, anxiety, (hypo)mania, make psychosis worse, now and then even cause psychosis. Of course, that's not --everyone--.

800mgs/Seroquel is a whole lotta Seroquel, especially with 4mgs/Klonopin on board. 1mgs/Klonopin=20mgs/Valium. To put that into perspective, back in the 70s, when Valium was the #1 pill in America, 30-40mgs/day was fairly standard. Klonopin can be helpful for agitation, anxiety, (hypo)mania, as part of a combination for psychosis, etc., but it can also cause problems. Klonopin--more so than the other benzodiazepines--can cause depression or make depression worse. Although some people find that Klonopin evens out mood swings (usually with other drugs), long term use, especially at higher doses, can make mood swings more frequent+severe. Cognitive impairment and sedation are both very real problems for a lot of people.

I dunno what to say, honestly. I find that I do better on a non-sedating tranquilizer. I'm on Abilify @ 20mgs now, largely because Abilify is the only tranquilizer/neuroleptic/"antipsychotic" I've been able to take at a full dose without experiencing too many problems. I also take 2 anti-seizure drugs that are now used for mood problems; a standard dose of Trileptal (less toxic alternative to Depakote) and a low dose of Lamictal.

I've been subjected to involuntary shock "treatments." Long story...I came into a well-regarded hopsital, they sedated me, I woke up on a table in a hospital gown. My head hurt, all my memories were gone. Fun times. Obviously, I do --not-- recommend shock "treatments," especially with this doctor. I've found that many psychiatrists lead people/"patients" down a dead end street, and they write it off as "standard treatment," blah blah blah.

I hope things get better for you, I really do.
still_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #8

Crazygrl882 has no updates.

3 yr Member

I have paranoid thoughts that persist due to being on meds. I'm on 400mg seroquel, 6mg haldol, .5mg klonopin twice a day, and 200mg lamictal. I have schizoaffective. The voices and hallucinations are gone but I feel that people can hear my thoughts and that they can invisibly hover around me or be inside me and see everything I do all the time. This is troublesome and bothers me and I just want to be left alone. I also feel that cameras are always on me and everyone I know watches me through them. I sometimes think the TV sends me messages but can't figure them out. I feel I passed through the mirror as a kid and am on the wrong side of reality and in the wrong life. I'm scared of my reflection and the mirror.

I hope you feel better. It's hard living this way.
PTSD
Fibromyalgia

Last edited by Crazygrl882; 06-23-2017 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Type o
Crazygrl882 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 06-24-2017, 01:31 AM   #9
Grand Member

franz kafka has no updates.

My Mood:

27 hugs
given

I still have mild, ongoing hallucinations and delusional thinking, even though my meds are working. They don't interfere with my functioning so I just let it be. I don't want to take more meds.

https://bpphd.wordpress.com/
franz kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
Iman has no updates.

3 yr Member
5 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_crazy View Post
hi. in my experience, the psych drugs at first reduce agitation, anxiety, etc...especially the tranquilizers/antipsychotics. as time goes on, i've found that i have fewer psychotic "problems" overall. part the psych drugs, part Orthomolecular (its high dose vitamins and antixoidants...seriously: I recommend it to everyone, especially those of us on psych drugs...), and part psychosocial factors getting so, so much better. Oh, and of course...my faith. After I became a Christian, my "symptoms" began to improve remarkably.

OK. If this doctor is loading you up and now recommending ECT, my personal suggestion would be to look elsewhere for treatment. Psychiatrists are...interesting. By "interesting," I mean that some of them genuinely help, as best they can. Others seem much more motivated by power, profit, and (I hate to say this...) straight up sadism.

I glanced over your psych drug line up. I'm hardly one to give any advice, much less "expert" advice, but 60mgs/Prozac is a lot. In some people, that much Prozac can cause agitation, anxiety, (hypo)mania, make psychosis worse, now and then even cause psychosis. Of course, that's not --everyone--.

800mgs/Seroquel is a whole lotta Seroquel, especially with 4mgs/Klonopin on board. 1mgs/Klonopin=20mgs/Valium. To put that into perspective, back in the 70s, when Valium was the #1 pill in America, 30-40mgs/day was fairly standard. Klonopin can be helpful for agitation, anxiety, (hypo)mania, as part of a combination for psychosis, etc., but it can also cause problems. Klonopin--more so than the other benzodiazepines--can cause depression or make depression worse. Although some people find that Klonopin evens out mood swings (usually with other drugs), long term use, especially at higher doses, can make mood swings more frequent+severe. Cognitive impairment and sedation are both very real problems for a lot of people.

I dunno what to say, honestly. I find that I do better on a non-sedating tranquilizer. I'm on Abilify @ 20mgs now, largely because Abilify is the only tranquilizer/neuroleptic/"antipsychotic" I've been able to take at a full dose without experiencing too many problems. I also take 2 anti-seizure drugs that are now used for mood problems; a standard dose of Trileptal (less toxic alternative to Depakote) and a low dose of Lamictal.

I've been subjected to involuntary shock "treatments." Long story...I came into a well-regarded hopsital, they sedated me, I woke up on a table in a hospital gown. My head hurt, all my memories were gone. Fun times. Obviously, I do --not-- recommend shock "treatments," especially with this doctor. I've found that many psychiatrists lead people/"patients" down a dead end street, and they write it off as "standard treatment," blah blah blah.

I hope things get better for you, I really do.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I think doctors are sadists, or some of them are. I have to be careful as my level of paranoia leads me to see all doctors as wishing to hurt me in some way so it is difficult to find trust with any of them. I have tried several antisizure drugs, some did not agree with me at all. Some days are better than others. I can not imagine how you must have felt when you found out you had involuntary shock treatment. Should not have been allowed but it was. As paitents it seems our rights are disappearing as the "Normal" people see anybody that does not fit into the normal box as a threat. As we know first hand or at least I know I am not a danger to anybody, just want help.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: