Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Sanctuary for Spiritual Support

advertisement

Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Posey23 has no updates.

Default Is God punishing me?

I have been a Christian my whole life and pray every night that God help me defeat the debilitating depression and anxiety Iíve had since I was 8. Since I was a little girl Iíve felt like God is punishing me with the intense pain I feel. I must have done something terrible or am a terrible person to be so sick. I am trying to heal my relationship with God. I have found sn awesome Episcopal church that I go to regularly. I just want to stop feeling like Iím guilty for something. I want to feel like I deserve Godís love. Please keep me in your prayers, Iíll keep you in mine!
Posey23 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

LacunaCoiler has no updates.

5 yr Member
22 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Is God punishing me?

I grew up Catholic but am now a practicing Buddhist. Before I was diagnosed as bipolar I suffered from depression and suicide ideology, even attempted once, I was on a retreat and one of the peer leaders talked to me about this. She told me that it was God testing my faith. God tests everyone's faith (in different and personal ways) and it is just something that makes us stronger as human beings.

You know how God tested Abraham about killing his son (If I'm remembering the names correctly) or how he tested Jobe (If that's how you spell it) this is his way of testing your faith.

It isn't that God doesn't love you, but it is his way of making you, and your faith, stronger. God loves all of his children and he wouldn't give you anything you couldn't handle. Sure, you're going to stumble, you're going to fall, and sure you're going to question your faith at times, but so did Jesus when he was walking with his cross to be crucified. It's only human nature to feel this way. But remember that God loves you and isn't punishing you, he's merely challenge you so you can grow both as a person and spiritually too.

LacunaCoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #3

Deejay14 has no updates.

My Mood:

12 hugs
given

God does not punish. Please do not believe that. You are deserving of God's love-everybody is for that is the nature of God. I have had long term debilitating experiences. God did not make those happen to me. Sometimes crap just happens in life. Use God's love which is there for you. Believe that. I read psalm 121 a lot it helps me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #4

Candy1955 Bitter pill...

My Mood:

97 hugs
given

I agree with Deejay. Will pray for you. I hope you get some comfort.
Candy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

seeker33 has no updates.

182 hugs
given

I fully understand you. I've had exactly same feelings. I can't answer your question. But please know you're not alone and God does love you. You didn't do anything wrong to deserve your suffering. I'm sure you're a wonderful human being. Please don't add feelings of shame or guilt to your suffering.
I'll pray for you.
seeker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
Saunder Ashamed can't help my girlfriend who's always been a caretaker of others.

My Mood:

8 yr Member

I hope you get the comfort you deserve. I'm pretty sure I know how you feel. I'm severely depressed again, going on 14 months now. History of depression, 67 yrsl old. Pray everyday for God to forgive me for being so weak, etc. Barely can leave my apartment. Sorry for talking about me so much. I'll pray for you. Pls. pray for me. I don't believe God is punishing you. Take care
Saunder is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
Atypical

88Butterfly88 wishes she was happier

My Mood:

2 yr Member
4,099 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have felt this way too, for me the reason being I was abused in a religous setting and I have often felt like God turned a blind eye. Slowly I'm realizing God loves me. He loves you too.
88Butterfly88 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #8

largebluerock i am the spark

My Mood:

i was raised Catholic & i've studied religion extensively.

i don't think that your experiencing anxiety or mental health issues can be (or should be) attributed to your God's anger or discontentment exclusively. in fact, most modern abrahamic sects teach the dogma that Jesus Christ dying on the cross marked the end of the wrath god exhibited in the old testament. (he no longer punishes anyone whom accepts Jesus)

so, if you are religious, i would suggest you simply live for happiness. religion is typically deontology based, (deontology is the system of ethics that says as long a you are following rules that you know will manifest the greatest good, you're fulfilling your moral obligations) & Christians hold the word of the bible as the highest moral authority. since the human mind is full of conflicting ideas, we can't be perfect! so just try to be good! & i promise you, that no one, including the Christian god, will punish you for that! you are not a black & white, good or evil person posey, & the fact that you asked this question proves this! so please try to raise that esteem & forget the notion that anyone is going to punish you.
largebluerock is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
Magnate

starrysky has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,739 hugs
given

((((Posey)))) I don't think God is punishing you. Maybe they are unrelated things (your depression, and God). Sending you love and healing.
starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
Wise Elder

justafriend306 a mother, girlfriend, friend

2 yr Member
545 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

i don't understand a religion that would lead someone to think their god is punishing them. Perhaps you might want to evaluate those spiritual things you can comfortably believe in. A religion should build you up. it is alarming that one would do the opposite. I obviously do not believe then that one can be punished by their Higher Power. So no, I am of the opinion you then are not being punished and have great hope that you can realise this. In the meantime, find something that will provide you encouragement and comfort.
justafriend306 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: