3 yr Member
3,700 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Is God punishing me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer47 View Post
Hi Laurie,

It is nice to meet you, but I think that we misunderstand each other.

My point of view is only that we all deserve to be taken seriously inside the traditions of the religion we are members in.

I agree. I did not intend my first post to Posey as a non-empathetic one. I was questioning whether her current belief system (God as punisher) is helpful for her.

My point of view is that it does not matter what religious or no-religious traditions we, ourselves as fellow-suffrers, stand in as long as we are able to step into the shoes of another when they ask for our help inside their frame of living.

A very good point, one I shall take to heart in the future.

If one is an Atheist, Buddhist or whatever that wants to help, that is OK, as long as one do not push ones own religion on the person asking for help. (I think that is right according to the rules for this particular forum).

I did not intend to push my own spiritual beliefs upon anyone. My intention was to share, in a sentence or two, that which I believe, to add to the conversation.

We do have religious freedom and are not to push our faith on others!

Hmm. Kind of an odd statement coming from some who practices Evangelical Christianity. I'm a bit confused, as Evangelicals are well known for proselytizing. There is no other religion except Christianity that engages in trying to convert others.

I never saw this as a competition in who has most knowledge about this or that.

Yet you brought up your assumption that I have a lack of knowledge about Christianity!!! I then corrected your wrong assumption by explaining to you that, actually, I have quite an extensive experience of Christianity. What else did you expect? That I'd bow my head and submit to your incorrect assumption about my life?

If I had been the one that had asked the question about depression and punishment from God, I would have wanted answers from ordinary people, not from «a professor». I think that most of us have it that way; answers from people in the same situation like ourselves.

Not necessarily. Most of the time, I like to be challenged by others' perspectives. In that way I expand my thinking and experience.

To mock me by referring to me as "a professor" is downright disrespectful and mean. I have to say, I'm rather shocked. I have an intellect and experience that I am not ashamed of. I won't apologize for being a thinking person.

I hope Posey will take courage to talk to a priest (or deacon) inside her Church, so that she can have spiritual advice on the topic about God that bothers her so much. I hope the she will seek help by a professional therapist as well.

I hope for both, too, for her. With all my heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~There's a sign on the wall, but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
.~

Proud member of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness).
NAMI Connection Group facilitator.
*Laurie* is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Singer47 has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,017 hugs
given

You are invited to my "STOPP – The CBT Group":
https://forums.psychcentral.com/grou...cbt-group.html
Singer47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #23
Elder

*Laurie* is involved.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,700 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
I don't understand. Is smiling the way you take responsibility for calling me names then gaslighting to try and make me responsible for your behavior?

.~

Old 04-17-2018, 04:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Singer47 has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,017 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
I don't understand. Is smiling the way you take responsibility for calling me names then gaslighting to try and make me responsible for your behavior?
Laurie, I have not accused you for anything! That is your interpretation of what I meant. As you know from CBT, your interpretation of another’s behavior, speaking or writing do not have to be the right one. A smile do not have to mean «laughing of» or «to be indifferent to». A smile is a friendly gesture and means different things according to the situation. In a situation were the one who smiles has said «goodbye» twice, it shouldn't be too difficult to understand that the «smiler» says a friendly «Be well» to you (even if we don’t agree about everything), because the «smiler» is by the two former «goodbyes» already out.

You are skilled, after you own description, in Freud, Buddhism and more. Has nobody thought you to respect the borders of other persons? These forums are for people who have some sort of mental disorders. You dont know the conditions of the persons on the other site of the screen. And of course that is not of your right either. People can have thousand reasons for wanting to end a discussion. One of them can be to feel exhausted.

I have not called you names or other things!

If you want to quarrel, find somebody else!

For the last time: BE WELL!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #25

seeker33 has no updates.

183 hugs
given

Singer, thank you for your thoughtful responses. You're a wise person. Just wanted to say I find your replies helpful for my own problem.

I also think if someone wants to challenge and be challenged, there are dozens of other groups and forums for that kind of discussion. This is a safe place for people with mental and emotional struggles.
seeker33 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #26
Elder

*Laurie* is involved.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,700 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Laurie, I have not accused you for anything! That is your interpretation of what I meant. As you know from CBT, your interpretation of another’s behavior, speaking or writing do not have to be the right one. A smile do not have to mean «laughing of» or «to be indifferent to». A smile is a friendly gesture and means different things according to the situation. In a situation were the one who smiles has said «goodbye» twice, it shouldn't be too difficult to understand that the «smiler» says a friendly «Be well» to you (even if we don’t agree about everything), because the «smiler» is by the two former «goodbyes» already out.

You are skilled, after you own description, in Freud, Buddhism and more. Has nobody thought you to respect the borders of other persons? These forums are for people who have some sort of mental disorders. You dont know the conditions of the persons on the other site of the screen. And of course that is not of your right either. People can have thousand reasons for wanting to end a discussion. One of them can be to feel exhausted.

I have not called you names or other things!

If you want to quarrel, find somebody else!

For the last time: BE WELL!

Please understand that I did not disrespect your boundaries.

You commented twice that you were done with this thread. Then you came back and continued to comment.

When you returned to this thread to comment that was an action you chose to take. I am not responsible for your action, you are.

.~

Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #27
Elder

*Laurie* is involved.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,700 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker33 View Post
Singer, thank you for your thoughtful responses. You're a wise person. Just wanted to say I find your replies helpful for my own problem.

I also think if someone wants to challenge and be challenged, there are dozens of other groups and forums for that kind of discussion. This is a safe place for people with mental and emotional struggles.
Just to set things straight...If you read through this thread, you will notice that Singer called me out initially. I did not post to her first. Let's keep things in their correct order. I did not come to this thread looking for a challenge; I came here to be supportive. It was Singer who challenged me, then I responded.

This thread has gone way off track. The OP has not even been here to reply since the first post. I am finished with this thread.

.~

Old 04-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Singer47 has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,017 hugs
given
Thumbs up Re: Is God punishing me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker33 View Post

Thank you so much Seeker! I'm glad that I have been of some help to you. I hope Posey could use it as well!

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #29
Elder

*Laurie* is involved.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,700 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

To the OP, Posey23:

I apologize for the direction your thread took. I came to this thread to be supportive of you.

I want to reiterate that the loving God does not punish or test us. God does not punish us for having an illness any more than you or I would punish our children for having a disorder. Nor is your mental illness a test. Depression and anxiety can tell our minds some very frightening lies. I strongly encourage you to speak with a therapist about how you feel, because I think you will find a lightening of your heavy burden by talking with a therapist. Best to you~

.~

Hugs from: