Catherine2
Poohbah

Catherine2 has no updates.

8 yr Member
15 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Trig Re: suicidal posts

Perhaps I need to clarify my feelings on this...

In no way do I feel that sharing that we feel suicidal, wonder if we are ever going to get better, losing hope, and needing someone to listen, help, and offer encouragement should be disallowed...folks with these feelings need reassurance and our love.

Making a post with a definite time and method is not the same thing.
It can cause panic and frantic efforts to dissuade someone from doing it. Sometimes it may help, unless that person responds with a positive No, I won't do it this time how are we to know if they did it?

What about the fear and feelings of helplessness generated in the community?
Sharing our feelings is absolutely necessary for us to get caring and support from others.
Posting a time with details?

It's been pointed out several times that we need people in our real lives to help us.

PC is an adjunct support system.
Resources are posted for help IRL if someone does not have access to their own professionals...

Please, let's not confuse sharing feelings as opposed to telling an exact time and method...

Catherine

I added the trigger icon because I'm nearly 100% certain that someone will get very angry because I do see a difference in these two things.

Last edited by Catherine2; 07-17-2009 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Apology offered; I did not see sabby's post before I posted this reply.

advertisement
Old 07-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #22
Anonymous32437
Anonymous32437 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: suicidal posts

just thought i'd throw my $0.02 into the ring too...

i get suicidal often due to a history of...geez well everything...it doesn't really matter. i hesitate to share that with my friends and such on the site because of many reasons.

1. i have my t to call...thats what she is there for...thats what i pay her for...and if i can't reach her then i can call my regular family doc .

2. i have friends irl (which makes on line friends sound wrong somehow) who i could call..altho it would panic them to know end.

3. i could call a crisis line which would panic me.

4. i could go to the hospital which i have done. see above and also do i want the extended stay at chez bin?

probably the main reason i don't post here (when i am in that spot) is that i am aware that like me i am conscious that many others have diagnosisis (? that ain't spelled right) and my post will upset them. plus for as much mental health treatment i have had in my life...i am not a counselor, or a trained professional...some whom post here are, i am not...there are just some instances where responding to a post where my input might not be the best thing. when i am in that scary a place i want, no need my help to come from people who are trained professionals (sorry i know i just smashed some toes but its true)...my life depends on it.

and the same is true...when i am that vulnerable a triggered response by someone is not what i need. it might be harmful.

i actually like the no suicidal post thingie...it forces me to look for and use my other resources...like reaching out to my t. its easy for me to hide from her when i am in pain...and i fear i would do just that if i could just post here.

honestly if there was a place to talk about it i would be afraid there might get into a well i have done this and this a # of times kind of thing...i'm very open about my attempts if asked but i don't feel proud about them...the pain that caused them is still around and so is the struggle.

i do thing there should be a seperate catregory listed right up with the others (like depression, bipolar, etc) suicide: resouces, #,s , etc. everything you need in case of an emergency. and it should be kept updated and current and non judgemental.

well maybe is used a few more cents...sorry bout that.

stumpy
who is having a pretty good day

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #23
phoenix7
Wise Elder

phoenix7 is wishing everyone a happy Christmas

10 yr Member
1,272 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

its a fine line....

I agree that people with suicidal ideations should post for support as everyone has mentioned here and have done so myself in the past. Thats the its all tooo much why go on feelings......

Posting that you are going to Su is a different matter - to feeling su.

I agree if you are feeling su that support here can help

if you feel you ARE going to Su then help irl is what you need - family friends professionals anyone who is around that can help you - a real hug is much better than a virtual one no matter how well meant. I fi could reach through the screen and hold your hands and take away whatever you were going to use I would - but I cant and I want everyone to be safe.

anyway thats how i feel - I hope everyone who needs help gets it

be safe be happy be well

P7
(Thanks to fenrir for my Picture )

When you have come to the edge of all light that you know and are about to drop off into the darkness of the unknown,
Faith is knowing One of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly.
by Patrick Overton, author and poet

Last edited by sabby; 07-18-2009 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: requested edit by poster
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #24
(JD)
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) has no updates.

My Mood: RE:  suicidal posts

10 yr Member
1,747 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Post Re: suicidal posts

Coming from a professional thought... not everyone here knows how to help talk someone through these very strong emotions/feelings to end their life. Some might say something in full support and end up making the other person's feelings being minimized and more desperate. What I would suggest is that in any case where someone is talking along these lines, whether you think they might only need "talking" please have them call their doctor, Pdoc, therapist or ER while you wait in the chat room (or on PM for them.)

Psych Central just doesn't have the capability of determining who is really in crisis and who needs to just talk a bit...nor does it have any way to notify authorities in the event of a real threat. That's good in many ways one being it allows members to not fear for "just talking." But when someone comes from a community that might have those assets, and expect someone here to call help for them, that could be disastrous, you know? So my POV is to ask each one to call their T...and then come back and chat with you while they wait for the return call.

Want to share your Christian faith? Click HERE
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
Greenleaves
Poohbah

Greenleaves has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

That's a really good idea Sky. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #26
Yoda
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I am still trying to process my thoughts about posting suicidal ideation.

But for the moment another thought running through my head...

What if a person is having homicidal thoughts?

What then? I have no intent today but always thought if I only had six months to live I would pursue this. My psychiatrist knows already about my feelings.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #27
phoenix7
Wise Elder

phoenix7 is wishing everyone a happy Christmas

10 yr Member
1,272 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

again its just thoughts - if you had a plan it would be different

I hope you are feeling better now
(Thanks to fenrir for my Picture )

When you have come to the edge of all light that you know and are about to drop off into the darkness of the unknown,
Faith is knowing One of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly.
by Patrick Overton, author and poet
Old 07-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #28
Christina86
Legendary

Christina86 I'm BACK!! :D

10 yr Member
2,080 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
But for the moment another thought running through my head...

What if a person is having homicidal thoughts?

Yoda, that would likely fall under these two points of the "Inappropriate Content" section in the Community Guidelines

Quote:
  • Messages containing or condoning illegal acts
  • Pedophiles, rapists, and others that have abused another individual physically, emotionally or sexually (whether imagined, real, acted-upon or not, and/or convicted), are not welcomed here because our focus is on support for victims of such abuse. The two are not compatible with one another.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #29
Anonymous81711
Anonymous81711 has no updates. Edit

Trig Re: suicidal posts

My .02....

Here is the thing. There are two points to consider.

one being that like Sky mentioned, not everyone who is on here is going to know the right way(and that depends totally on the person in my veiw) to talk someone down. Things can easily be said and taken out of context, be triggering, just not wanted, ect.. It happens.. and this doesnt mean anyone is wrong! We cannot possibly know what everyone needs all the time.. even that is tough for a professional.

The second thing is how much potential "triggering" could happen if someone came on, was actively suicidal, said they were going to do it, then dissapeared and never posted again. Did they do it? We wouldn't know.. some people would likely feel responsible, some would just be triggered.. heck, i mean it just would be very scary I think.

And heck there is a third thing too.. those who are suicidal DESERVE the VERY BEST PROFESSIONAL CARE - and unfortunately, as Sabby mentioned, we cannot all do that for everyone. As i said even a professional would have a hard time doing and being everything for everyone all of the time.

I think that NOONE should ever have to suffer with suicidal ideation all alone. It takes a big network to change that mood and mindset, and its all well deserved.

the last time I felt even slightly suicidal.. I called my aunt, and i took me to the hospital. I saw the on duty psych, i wasnt kept, he changed my medication and i felt better. But the thing is, I knew although i could come here and say "Im having suicidal thoughts" I personally wouldnt want to come on and say "im going to commit suicide" because I know for a fact if something DID happen and i didnt offer myself that very good care, so many people WOULD feel badly, triggered, etc etc.

I know all of this sounds like im putting the suicidal thinker down. And I am NOT in any way meaning to do that. The core of how i feel is that although getting support for your feelings is good here, if you are suicidal, you need AND deserve professionals to step in and guide you out of that action or mindset. Again, i truly feel so badly for ANYONE in that place.. if you have been there, or even if you know someone who has, you know it is a nightmare and a very dark place.

I hope this is all coming across right.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #30
Yoda
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Okay thanks, Christina, for clarifying this. I was just wondering "what if" , ya know?
Closed Thread