My past therapist is always on my mind - Forums at Psych Central


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 01:10 PM #1
scarcejoy scarcejoy is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37
scarcejoy scarcejoy is offline
Member
scarcejoy has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
Default My past therapist is always on my mind

It has been since mid-October since I had my last session with my previous therapist. I still continue to think about her daily. I can't stop myself from thinking about her even if I wanted to. My past therapist is warm and very caring. I learned valuable things such as gratitude and perseverance from her. My past therapist is an inspirational woman. One of the main reasons why I miss her is because I have romantic feelings for her. Being pulled apart from the person I love the most is strenuously difficult to deal with. Not only do I miss talking to her weekly but I miss seeing her too.

I miss seeing that radiant smile that she would welcome me with whenever she opened the door for me to come in. She was the sunshine of my life. In my eyes, she is exceedingly beautiful. Her outfits were so well put together that I see her as glamorous and elegant. She is everything I want in a romantic partner. My past therapist told me that I can email her every 2 months to say how I am doing. I did that about 2-3 weeks ago. I was reflecting about her during New Year's Eve and going into 2019. She was so integral to my life and I find it sad that now she is in the background of my life. I miss having the presence of such a lovely individual in my life. I love her.

I can't stop thinking about her. It is affecting a lot with my new therapist. I know that I have other things that I need to talk about such as my past and why I feel depressed often but I always feel this need to talk about how much I miss my past therapist. My past therapist is the person that I love the most in life. I cannot stop thinking about her even if I wanted to.
scarcejoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-06-2019, 03:38 PM #2
precaryous's Avatar
precaryous precaryous is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Member Since: May 2014
Location: outside the norm
Posts: 3,551
precaryous precaryous is offline
Grand Magnate
precaryous's Avatar
precaryous has no updates.
 
Member Since: May 2014
Location: outside the norm
Posts: 3,551

3 yr Member
7,351 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My past therapist is always on my mind

Sorry you are going through such a rough time.

Sounds like you’re grieving the loss of your previous therapist.
Have you tried talking about this with your current therapist?
precaryous is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:20 PM #3
scarcejoy scarcejoy is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37
scarcejoy scarcejoy is offline
Member
scarcejoy has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
Default Re: My past therapist is always on my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by precaryous View Post
Sorry you are going through such a rough time.

Sounds like you’re grieving the loss of your previous therapist.
Have you tried talking about this with your current therapist?
Yes that is what I usually talk about with my current therapist.
scarcejoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-06-2019, 04:26 PM #4
Ididitmyway's Avatar
Ididitmyway Ididitmyway is offline
Magnate
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,071
Ididitmyway Ididitmyway is offline
Magnate
Ididitmyway's Avatar
Ididitmyway has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,071

5 yr Member
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My past therapist is always on my mind

It sounds like your previous therapist was very helpful to you, so why did you stop seeing her?
__________________
www.therapyconsumerguide.com

Bernie Sanders/Tulsi Gabbard 2020
Ididitmyway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:22 PM #5
SarahSweden SarahSweden is online now
Poohbah
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,315
SarahSweden SarahSweden is online now
Poohbah
SarahSweden has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,315

3 yr Member
163 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: My past therapist is always on my mind

I´m sorry you´re going thorugh this and for what your T did to you, I assume there was an involuntary termination. I go through a similar situation as my T abruptly ended therapy with me in September and as you I think about her every day.

Sometimes there´s grief, sometimes there´s more of anger towards her. But as you describe I saw her as a very important person in my life and as a person who had a lot of good qualities as a therapist and as a human being.

You´re "lucky" to have a new T to talk to about your loss and your grief, me and a lot of other people on this forum are left without any support. Perhaps this new T isn´t that much of a comfort in this heightened grief of yours but in the long run she´ll be.

But I understand the longing and the sad and hard fact that no other will be like your former T. I think there are too many therapists who practise in a reckless way and who first and foremost protect themselves when termination is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarcejoy View Post
It has been since mid-October since I had my last session with my previous therapist. I still continue to think about her daily. I can't stop myself from thinking about her even if I wanted to. My past therapist is warm and very caring. I learned valuable things such as gratitude and perseverance from her. My past therapist is an inspirational woman. One of the main reasons why I miss her is because I have romantic feelings for her. Being pulled apart from the person I love the most is strenuously difficult to deal with. Not only do I miss talking to her weekly but I miss seeing her too.

I miss seeing that radiant smile that she would welcome me with whenever she opened the door for me to come in. She was the sunshine of my life. In my eyes, she is exceedingly beautiful. Her outfits were so well put together that I see her as glamorous and elegant. She is everything I want in a romantic partner. My past therapist told me that I can email her every 2 months to say how I am doing. I did that about 2-3 weeks ago. I was reflecting about her during New Year's Eve and going into 2019. She was so integral to my life and I find it sad that now she is in the background of my life. I miss having the presence of such a lovely individual in my life. I love her.

I can't stop thinking about her. It is affecting a lot with my new therapist. I know that I have other things that I need to talk about such as my past and why I feel depressed often but I always feel this need to talk about how much I miss my past therapist. My past therapist is the person that I love the most in life. I cannot stop thinking about her even if I wanted to.
SarahSweden is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:34 AM #6
scarcejoy scarcejoy is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37
scarcejoy scarcejoy is offline
Member
scarcejoy has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
Default Re: My past therapist is always on my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSweden View Post
I´m sorry you´re going thorugh this and for what your T did to you, I assume there was an involuntary termination. I go through a similar situation as my T abruptly ended therapy with me in September and as you I think about her every day.

Sometimes there´s grief, sometimes there´s more of anger towards her. But as you describe I saw her as a very important person in my life and as a person who had a lot of good qualities as a therapist and as a human being.

You´re "lucky" to have a new T to talk to about your loss and your grief, me and a lot of other people on this forum are left without any support. Perhaps this new T isn´t that much of a comfort in this heightened grief of yours but in the long run she´ll be.

But I understand the longing and the sad and hard fact that no other will be like your former T. I think there are too many therapists who practise in a reckless way and who first and foremost protect themselves when termination is a fact.
I really appreciate your concern for me. It makes me less alone as I cope with this issue. I just wanted to point out that my former therapist wasn’t being reckless because they told me 3 months ahead of time and I am not angry at her because we worked in the transition. Sorry if I wasn’t being clear on the termination.
scarcejoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-11-2019, 02:32 PM #7
Gogu2 Gogu2 is offline
New Member
 
Member Since: May 2018
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 6
Gogu2 Gogu2 is offline
New Member
Gogu2 has no updates.
 
Member Since: May 2018
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 6

Default Re: My past therapist is always on my mind

But why did she end it with you ?
Gogu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:34 AM #8
scarcejoy scarcejoy is offline
Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37
scarcejoy scarcejoy is offline
Member
scarcejoy has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given
Default Re: My past therapist is always on my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogu2 View Post
But why did she end it with you ?
She moved further and it became too far for me to drive to.
scarcejoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



 

Psych Central Forums

Psych Central is the leading mental health website, overseen by mental health professionals since 1995.

 

Helplines and Lifelines

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.
Please Read the full Disclaimer.