Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Anonymous50909
Anonymous50909 has no updates. Edit

Default Online friendships

How do you feel about online friendships? Are they the same as in person friendships? Do they make a significant contribution to your life? Do you avoid them?

I have online friends that I feel close to. When we talk Online, it's like having a coffee in person. I laugh and cry depending on the mood. I feel like I can reach out and hopefully they feel the same.

I do have amazing in person friends as well. In the end though if I call you my friend online or in person, I value you.

How do you feel about online friends?
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 04-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
divine1966
Legendary

divine1966 has no updates.

My Mood: Online friendships

3 yr Member
276 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Online friendships

I donít have online friends. Only irl. Now some of my friends ended up living in
Different countries so most of our communication now happens online or phone because we canít see each other often. Other friends I know in my regular life. I canít imagine being friends with people I have never met
divine1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 04-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
katydid777
Grand Poohbah

katydid777 Here Untill I'm Not

9,585 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have both, and I think it is great. When I don't want to go out, I can ether talk to my online friends, or call one of the few regular friends if I can catch them home, or not busy.
katydid777 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
~Christina
Legendary

~Christina has no updates.

5 yr Member
5,274 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have some online friends that I doubt Iíll ever meet due to being in other countries

Are they real ? Yes of course.

Having Bipolar together helps me to reach out for help to someone that knows exactly how I think and feel.

One from Cape Town South Africa actually saved my life after I talked about Xanax I took and she tracked down my husband , he was out working and he came home in a rush.

Yes I have online friends.

I also have friends I can physically touch they are great, they just cant understand Bipolar like my Bipolar friends do.

I donít burden my friends in life with my Bipolar bullshytt.
Hugs from:
Old 04-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Anonymous50909

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
I donít have online friends. Only irl. Now some of my friends ended up living in
Different countries so most of our communication now happens online or phone because we canít see each other often. Other friends I know in my regular life. I canít imagine being friends with people I have never met
Interesting perspective. I met a friend online when I was 17 on a chat site. We met in person as he lived close and have been friends for almost 20 years.

Can I ask why? I've done video chats and phone calls with some of them. Pretty much the same as in person. I have friends all over the world and it's incredibly cool when we talk about native animals, terrain, slang words, culture, etc. It's a world of amazing people.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
divine1966
Legendary

3 yr Member
276 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadGirl View Post
Interesting perspective. I met a friend online when I was 17 on a chat site. We met in person as he lived close and have been friends for almost 20 years.

Can I ask why? I've done video chats and phone calls with some of them. Pretty much the same as in person. I have friends all over the world and it's incredibly cool when we talk about native animals, terrain, slang words, culture, etc. It's a world of amazing people.
I donít have a particular answer. I donít understand your question actually. You make it sound as having online friends is a requirement or not having them is some kind of deficiency. Is that something people have to have?

I have ton of friends, family, husband, kid, stepkids, niece and nephews, hobbies, career, travel regularly, I belong to various organizations, volunteer etc I have a very busy life.

Yes I have friends who live in other countries because either I or they end up moving. We keep in touch regularly and at times when one of us travels overseas we manage to meet, but not that often.

I do understand other cultures and world being an amazing place. I am trilingual, fluently speak all three, i lived in two countries, I travelled to 20 countries (several of them way more than once) and travelled around about half of the US. And I continue to travel

You make it sound like not having online friends make me somehow stuck in a mud or not understand amazinglness of this world?

Perhaps I misunderstand
Old 04-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
Anonymous50909

Quote:
I donít have a particular answer. I donít understand your question actually. You make it sound as having online friends is a requirement or not having them is some kind of deficiency. Is that something people have to have?

I have ton of friends, family, husband, kid, stepkids, niece and nephews, hobbies, career, travel regularly, I belong to various organizations, volunteer etc I have a very busy life.

Yes I have friends who live in other countries because either I or they end up moving. We keep in touch regularly and at times when one of us travels overseas we manage to meet, but not that often.

I do understand other cultures and world being an amazing place. I am trilingual, fluently speak all three, i lived in two countries, I travelled to 20 countries (several of them way more than once) and travelled around about half of the US. You make it sound like not having online friends make me somehow stuck in a mud or not understand amazinglness of this world?

Perhaps I misunderstand
Totally not my intention. I like hearing other people's point of view. I was just sharing some of the reasons I love my online friends.

There is nothing wrong with not having them. I was just curious why it wasn't for you.

No judgement. Just curiosity.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
Shazerac
Grand Magnate

Shazerac is attempting to contact the mother ship.

3 yr Member
1,895 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have online friends for years that iíve never met in person. Then thereís my husband. I met him 15 years ago online and weíve been married for 10 years.

Eat a live frog for breakfast every morning and nothing worse can happen to you that day!

"Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be left waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth.Ē Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Bipolar type 2 rapid cycling DX 2013 -
Seroquel 100
Celexa 20 mg
Xanax .5 mg prn
Modafanil 100 mg

Shazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
divine1966
Legendary

3 yr Member
276 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadGirl View Post
Totally not my intention. I like hearing other people's point of view. I was just sharing some of the reasons I love my online friends.

There is nothing wrong with not having them. I was just curious why it wasn't for you.

No judgement. Just curiosity.
Itís not that itís ďnot for meĒ. Itís just there is no need or time for it in my life. I can barely fit everything into my busy life as it is.

As about other cultures not only I travel A LOT, a lot of my friends live in other countries, we talk about each otherís surrounding including things like native animals (your example). These are people I know. Perhaps if I didnít travel or didnít know people living in other cultures, Iíd have online friends to learn all that.

I am not against online friendships, I just donít have it. I sometimes feel i neglect people I do know because there are only 24 hours in a day! I canít imagine justifying looking for online friends.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
Anonymous50909

Quote:
Itís not that itís ďnot for meĒ. Itís just there is no need or time for it in my life. I can barely fit everything into my busy life as it is.

As about other cultures not only I travel A LOT, a lot of my friends live in other countries, we talk about each otherís surrounding including things like native animals (your example). These are people I know. Perhaps if I didnít travel or didnít know people living in other cultures, Iíd have online friends to learn all that.

I am not against online friendships, I just donít have it. I sometimes feel i neglect people I do know because there are only 24 hours in a day! I canít imagine justifying looking for online friends.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. That completely makes sense.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: