Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
cryssy1212
New Member
cryssy1212 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Default Why would you password protect your wedding website?

First I found this couples wedding website by searching their name on google and the link gave me a password protected wedding website and I was able to click cache on the page, then a month later a couple days ago I search and all I find for their website is no information is available for this page. Why is this. Then today I google it and it doesn't even come up at all. Do you think they had the settings as public or password protected but still searchable at first but then changed it? And why did it first say no information is available and now nothing comes up? And now I see the search result again saying no info available. Did they change it to searchable again? Why does it come up now but say no info available? Do you think they password protected it at all because of me?
cryssy1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
divine1966
Legendary
 
divine1966's Avatar
divine1966 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: US
Posts: 12,865 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

3 yr Member
398 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

I’d need more details to be able to offer any inside. Who are “they”? And why are you searching their names? Please provide more info so we can assess this situation properly.
divine1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
amandalouise
Wise Elder
 
amandalouise's Avatar
amandalouise has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 8,117 (SuperPoster!)
10 yr Member
744 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryssy1212 View Post
First I found this couples wedding website by searching their name on google and the link gave me a password protected wedding website and I was able to click cache on the page, then a month later a couple days ago I search and all I find for their website is no information is available for this page. Why is this. Then today I google it and it doesn't even come up at all. Do you think they had the settings as public or password protected but still searchable at first but then changed it? And why did it first say no information is available and now nothing comes up? And now I see the search result again saying no info available. Did they change it to searchable again? Why does it come up now but say no info available? Do you think they password protected it at all because of me?
people password protect their websites because they want to be the ones......inviting....... those that they want to see it...

kind of like how psych central has social forums. some of the social forums are not open to just anyone to see and join. they are invite only. where members of those social forums ... invite.... the people they want to join that forum...

another way to think of password protected websites... imagine you wrote a letter to someone and you dont want just any one to see that letter. do you write that letter on a post card or do you write it and put it inside of an envelope and seal it up tight so others dont see what you have wrote.

my point sometimes there are just some things that are too personal for just anyone to see and read about.

my suggestion is if you want access to this persons wedding plans, and such things that may be contained on the website in question, maybe email that person and ask them for access. if they know you and want you to know what their wedding plans are they will give you the password.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-13-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
Crazy Hitch
ɘvlovƎ
 
Crazy Hitch's Avatar
Crazy Hitch Just breathe ...
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: ϟϟ☁ Thunder ☁☁☂
Posts: 15,796 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

5 yr Member
10.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

No, I don't believe that they password protected it because of you.

Some websites you need to create passwords in order to view full articles. Can you scroll back as far as a month to view your browsing history? Also, pages/posts can get deleted from sites so the original URL is unavailable.
Crazy Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:31 AM   #5
TishaBuv
Elder
 
TishaBuv's Avatar
TishaBuv has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 6,597 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
780 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

Hi Cryssy and welcome to PC!

IDK about your specific situation or theirs, but it sounds like a good idea to me to have a wedding website password protected. At the very least, they are protecting their information from strangers or potential thieves. For example; to say when and where is the wedding and then someone goes and robs their house while they are getting married?
TishaBuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
justafriend306
Guest
justafriend306 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

Hard to say without context of the situation. I don't believe they have protected the site only on account of you.

It makes sense that invitations to the site would have been extended as part of the general invites to the event.

I am concerned however that you have repeatedly been to this site and made an effort multiple times to try to enter it. This is not a positive thing and I discourage you from doing so again. Is there a reason you keep doing it? I wonder how healthy it is to keep trying.

Instead, I would just try to accept the fact that you have not been included. Note this may not be a bad sign upon you. It could be that numbers were limited.
  Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
Anonymous50987
Guest
Anonymous50987 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

Simple - no one would want the entire internet domain to know where to get free food
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
graystreet
Veteran Member
 
graystreet's Avatar
graystreet has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 579
2 yr Member
96 hugs
given
Default Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibrating Obsidian View Post
Simple - no one would want the entire internet domain to know where to get free food
Hilarious.

Really though...I may be off base here, and if so, I apologize. But as someone who has been put in a place where she has felt the need to investigate in order to keep her sanity, it is a slippery slope. A lot of people I've known who have had wedding pages have password protected them once they've put certain info up like venues, dates, etc. People do this for many reasons, not least of which is just good old fashioned privacy.
graystreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
cryssy1212
New Member
cryssy1212 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Default Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Hitch View Post
No, I don't believe that they password protected it because of you.

Some websites you need to create passwords in order to view full articles. Can you scroll back as far as a month to view your browsing history? Also, pages/posts can get deleted from sites so the original URL is unavailable.
I know they didnt delete their wedding website because when I click on the link it still brings me to the password protected page.
cryssy1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #10
cryssy1212
New Member
cryssy1212 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Default Re: Why would you password protect your wedding website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafriend306 View Post
Hard to say without context of the situation. I don't believe they have protected the site only on account of you.

It makes sense that invitations to the site would have been extended as part of the general invites to the event.

I am concerned however that you have repeatedly been to this site and made an effort multiple times to try to enter it. This is not a positive thing and I discourage you from doing so again. Is there a reason you keep doing it? I wonder how healthy it is to keep trying.

Instead, I would just try to accept the fact that you have not been included. Note this may not be a bad sign upon you. It could be that numbers were limited.
Do you think I was even a factor at all in their decision?
cryssy1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.




advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines