Old 01-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
Velvet Lounger

Velvet Lounger has no updates.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
36 hugs
given
Default Tartiflette from Rhône-Alpes Region

Tartiflette.This delicious recipe is courtesy of Café Le Gaulois, Reims.

Last year I was in Reims on business when stopping at Café Le Gaulois for a meal. This tartiflette was chalked up on their blackboard. It was so delicious that asked the Madam for the recipe. This recipe has been reduced for family numbers. You could increase the cheese, potato and bacon amounts for larger numbers, in which case use a whole Reblochon. This meal is perfect for cold wintery weather. It is most comforting.

The recipe's origin is Rhône-Alpes. All across the Alps, variations of tartiflette are served with the addition of local mountain hams, lardons, local cheeses or mushrooms from the forests.

This recipe will serve 6.

Note: The alcohol from the wine will mist away during cooking.

1 reblochon cheese (about 500g, mabe more) - Please don't skimp on this cheese.
1 kg potatoes, Desirees are good
250g/half a pound bacon, smoked or unsmoked, but dry cured bacon is best.
1 cup creme fraiche
3 tablespoons chives
1 tablespoon butter
1 glass dry white wine
1 onion
salt and pepper

Clean potatoes and cut them by half.
Boil potatoes into salted water for about 30 minutes (They're ready when a knife enters easily). Then, you'll take them off water and let them chill.
Meanwhile, peel and slice onions.
Melt butter in a frying pan. Add sliced onions.
When onions are translucent, add bacon dices and leave over medium heat for 5 more minutes stirring often.

Preheat oven to 460° F (240° C / Th 8).
Peel and slice potatoes.
Rinse and dry small chives. Chop them.
In a bowl, combine creme fraiche with wine and small chives. Season with salt and pepper.
Grease an ovenproof dish. Start by arranging a layer of potato slices at the bottom of the dish.
Top with bacon dices and onion, then spread the cream mixture on top. Repeat with another layer of everything.

Grate Reblochon's rind lightly with a knife. (Don't take it off! Just grate what's coming off easily).

Slice Reblochon cheese into 2 thinner circles, each one having rind on one side and inside cheese on the other side.

Place both circles on top of the potato layers with the rind side up and bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese sauce is simmering.

Serve immediately with green lettuce and vinaigrette. Or a salad of your choice.
Velvet Lounger is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 01-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
3 yr Member
12.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Tartiflette from Rhône-Alpes Region

Thanks for sharing this. I don't know as I'll make it. But it looks as though it would be yummy. I wonder what the cholesterol level would be in this dish...
Old 01-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
Velvet Lounger

Velvet Lounger has no updates.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
36 hugs
given
Default Re: Tartiflette from Rhône-Alpes Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I don't know as I'll make it. But it looks as though it would be yummy. I wonder what the cholesterol level would be in this dish...

Hi! Thanks for the compliments.

The cholesterol level need not be high if you use a lower fat creme fraiche but we are only using 1 cup measurement. To fry the bacon use a fat mister on a non-stick pan, so the amount of oil would only be about a teaspoon. Actually, hardly that because bacon has its own fat and you could trim it off if need be, or lower the heat so the bacon fat melts before raising the heat up again to fry it.

Slicing the cheese is, admittedly, a bit of a faff. What I do is cut small V shaped pieces and plonk them in-between the potatoes and bacon with the cheese's rind facing upwards. That way, everybody gets a nice melty-cheesy spoonful. Cut this way, the reblochon would go further.

Next day if there is any left over, the tartiflette tastes even lovelier. It is such a comforting meal. Presently because it's so popular with my family that it's made every week.

It really is a scrummy meal!
Velvet Lounger is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: