Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
LifelongLoner

LifelongLoner It's the same old, same old. And, I do mean old!

My Mood: Hyperoxaluria and oxalosis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
62 hugs
given
Default Hyperoxaluria and oxalosis

I thought I was being healthy. I have heart disease and naturally high blood sugar (AKA prediabetes / glucose intolerance). I started drinking unsweetened home brewed black iced tea and eating nuts, leafy greens, dark chocolate, beans, peanut butter, potatoes and breads with wheat bran. Healthy, right? Turns out, I developed hyperoxaluria and oxalosis. (In fact, relatives with similar diets in my family came down with pancreatic cancer.) I developed severe muscle stiffness and kidney pain (but not kidney stones).

Now, I have to change my diet drastically but don't know how I can keep it heart healthy. My kitchen is full of food that I cannot drink or eat. I am reduced to drinking water with slices of orange to replace the tea. I find green tea and herbal tea to be undrinkable; they sometimes give me nausea. Even coffee has oxalates. I am going to try oolong tea which has fewer oxalates. This will not be an easy switch as I LOVE my black iced tea and its feel good caffeine.

So what do I now have to eat? More meat and eggs. White bread and rice. Cheese. Non-leafy veggies (onions?). I have to be careful not to overdo any of these because of my heart disease.

Anyone else have this problem? It is my understanding that part of the problem is genetic. I am feeling extremely frustrated.

Hyperoxaluria and oxalosis - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic
LifelongLoner is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 01-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
3 yr Member
12.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Hyperoxaluria and oxalosis

I'm sorry you are having his difficulty. I don't know anything about these conditions. I'm also a black tea drinker. (I prefer mine hot. My wife is the iced tea drinker... during the summer.) I wondered if you are aware of this excellent source of teas & tisanes:

TeaSource | Buy Quality Tea Online

Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
LifelongLoner

LifelongLoner It's the same old, same old. And, I do mean old!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
62 hugs
given
Default Re: Hyperoxaluria and oxalosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
I'm sorry you are having his difficulty. I don't know anything about these conditions. I'm also a black tea drinker. (I prefer mine hot. My wife is the iced tea drinker... during the summer.) I wondered if you are aware of this excellent source of teas & tisanes:

TeaSource | Buy Quality Tea Online

Unfortunately, it looks like I will mostly have to give up black tea. I have ordered some oolong tea; I've never had it and don't know if I will like it. I've had bad reactions (nausea) to green tea and don't like it's grassy flavor.

I've cut back on all foods that are high in oxalates including nuts, wheat germ, spinach and black/red kidney beans. These are some of my favorite foods and I've eaten them to be healthy - especially as I suffer from heart disease. Eating a heart healthy diet when many of those foods recommended for a heart healthy diet are high in a substance - oxalates - that my body does not tolerate well is a very challenging and troubling problem. It will be VERY difficult to give up the black tea as it's my favorite beverage.
LifelongLoner is offline   Reply With Quote