cptsdwhoa

cptsdwhoa Keep hope alive

My Mood: Healthy Eating and Mental Health

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
198 hugs
given
Default Healthy Eating and Mental Health

Does anyone else really feel their mental health decline when they don't eat healthfully?

I've really been feeling that lately (or rather I can now recognize how unhealthy eating impacts me mentally). I had maybe a slice too many of key lime pie yesterday, and I'll tell ya, I just felt so depressed, lonely, and like I was on the brink of tears. There was nothing wrong, and I feel fine today. But last night I could just tell how all that pie was affecting me (most likely because of all the sugar ). It's like I could feel that my mental state was directly impacted by my gut.

That gives me more motivation to really start taking my physical health as seriously as my mental.
cptsdwhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 10-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
-jimi-
Jimi the rat

-jimi- is a vermin. Please feed me anyway.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Healthy Eating and Mental Health

I was gonna say I can eat bad and it doesn't affect me mentally. But then I realize that healthily for me is well balanced meals with a lot of veg, the right meats and not too much, and low starch.

I don't even count pies and the sorts as food. For me, junk food is like sausage, bread, pasta etc.

Sugar is not a food, it is a poison just like alcohol is not a food. I don't say I eat well, far from, but things like sugar, trans fats and really processed foods, stuff like that must go.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
cptsdwhoa

198 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jimi- View Post
I was gonna say I can eat bad and it doesn't affect me mentally. But then I realize that healthily for me is well balanced meals with a lot of veg, the right meats and not too much, and low starch.

I don't even count pies and the sorts as food. For me, junk food is like sausage, bread, pasta etc.

Sugar is not a food, it is a poison just like alcohol is not a food. I don't say I eat well, far from, but things like sugar, trans fats and really processed foods, stuff like that must go.
Yes! I'm finally working on eat that way. I stick to a mostly paleo diet and that's helped tremendously. However, I used to eat that way (ya know the Standard American Diet (SAD)...lots of sugar, trans fats, and really processed foods).

I get that eating was how I coped with childhood trauma, but it's only just now sinking in how bad it is to eat that way. That day was the first time I could just FEEL it. Wowza.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
-jimi-
Jimi the rat

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I don't know SAD, all I know that is similar is "husmanskost". LOL.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
cptsdwhoa

198 hugs
given

Quote:
I don't know SAD, all I know that is similar is "husmanskost". LOL.
SAD is known for being high in sugar, carbs, and fat. Basically everything human beings shouldn't be eating in excess or at all lol!
Old 10-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
-jimi-
Jimi the rat

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsdwhoa View Post
SAD is known for being high in sugar, carbs, and fat. Basically everything human beings shouldn't be eating in excess or at all lol!
Our food is based around bread, milk, yogurt, coffee, coffee, coffee, pork, chicken, potatoes, rice, pasta and the occasional vegetable.

We're not much for sweet stuff inside regular meals but we eat a heck of a lot of candy and pastries.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
cptsdwhoa

198 hugs
given

Quote:
Our food is based around bread, milk, yogurt, coffee, coffee, coffee, pork, chicken, potatoes, rice, pasta and the occasional vegetable.

We're not much for sweet stuff inside regular meals but we eat a heck of a lot of candy and pastries.
Our food is interesting in that it takes from a lot of different cuisines and Americanizes it lol. From wikipedia: This diet is "rich in red meat, dairy products, processed and artificially sweetened foods, and salt, with minimal intake of fruits, vegetables, fish, legumes, and whole grains." ... Complex carbohydrates such as starch are believed to be more healthy than the sugar so frequently consumed in the Standard American Diet.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 AM   #8
BrainTrain
BrainTrain has no updates.

3 yr Member

I try to eat healthy and making healthy food, I recently made these banana muffins and I really liked them.
BrainTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:14 AM   #9
sarahsweets
Grand Member

sarahsweets Humor is my end game..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
71 hugs
given

I used to be very overweight. In 2009 I had gastric bypass and I have been blessed with having kept off the weight. One thing I was told was that I would no longer be able to process sugar the same way. The first time I ate junk I got sick. When i eat too much processed sugar I experience rapid heartbeat/racing heart, sweats, dizziness and nausea. My mental health has gotten much better over time. Aside from alcoholism I believe that me not being able to tolerate a lot of sugar actually helps keep me more stable. That is not to say I eat zero sugar because sometimes I will have a little ice cream but I cant eat the way I used to and it has made my mental health easier to manage. I am currently working on not eating refined carbs like bagels and stuff like that. I have not conquered that yet but I think it may help.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is online now   Reply With Quote