Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
Seqoya
Seqoya has no updates.

My Mood: Would the Religion or Lack of in a Psychiatrist Therapist etc Matter To You?

3 yr Member
18 hugs
given
Default Would the Religion or Lack of in a Psychiatrist Therapist etc Matter To You?

I know a similar question has been asked but this question adds the lack of. Also the most recent post in the other one is from the spring of 2016.

Personally I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. There are some Licensed Witness Therapists and there are at least three in my State that I know of all within an hr and half of me or less. One is in my city but is male and I feel more comfortable with a female and I was told by a Witness that went to him that he will take payments but does not take insurance.

The other two are female but too far for me. I have a friend that went to one of them but she had also been to Non-Witness Therapists and when she went to see The Jehovah's Witness one her psychiatrist did not share our faith.

Anyway it is not a requirement for me that my therapist or psychiatrist etc... share my faith. It also doesn't matter to me if they are religious, spiritual but not religious or neither as long as they respect me as a Jehovah's Witness.

I had a therapist that had a religion that was different than mine and she was very involved in it. I had two that were not religious and not really spiritual either. My last one that left the agency I go to I don't know for sure, my new one I have no idea.

My Family Doctor who prescribed my psychiatric medication for a time and who I still see as a Family Physician is very religious.

As for the psychiatrists I have seen I don't know. One may have been because he said that he was raised Catholic but was not Catholic. Then he said that he believes that all religions are like different languages, they are all trying to say the same thing and they all lead to the same place.

It came up because I told him I'm religious and what faith.

I'm sorry if I made this too long and detailed.

Thank You In Advance For Any Responses.
Seqoya is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
SgtRock

SgtRock lost and forever lonely

My Mood: Would the Religion or Lack of in a Psychiatrist Therapist etc Matter To You?

2 yr Member
80 hugs
given
Default Re: Would the Religion or Lack of in a Psychiatrist Therapist etc Matter To You?

Religiosity or lack there of is of no concern to me UNTIL they decide to push their religious views on me. Then I have a problem. I had one such therapist. I thought I might have a problem when I revealed my sexuality. It's the 1st thing I do. I want to see their facial response and body language.

That therapist was a conservative christian. And he had a problem. I didn't, he did. Within 2 visits I asked for someone else.

My current therapist I have no idea if she's religious or not. It's not a subject that we've discussed. So, she doesn't know that I'm an atheist. Some Christians I have no problems with. Some, I do. The Christian right I have a problem with.

My friend is quite religious, she's also (her words) "a flaming liberal". When it comes to religion, she's my barometer.

So, my therapist could be religious or non, makes no difference to me. As long as they are not religious right, i can handle it.
But she don't give a damn for me

But let me get to the point, let's roll another joint
And turn the radio loud, I'm too alone to be proud
You don't know how it feels
You don't know how it feels to be me

~ Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

SgtRock is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Seqoya
Seqoya has no updates.

3 yr Member
18 hugs
given
Default Re: Would the Religion or Lack of in a Psychiatrist Therapist etc Matter To You?

If a therapist can't handle counseling a person or persons because of their sexuality especially if the counselor can't keep his or her feelings out of the way.

Say it's a same sex couple that comes to the counselor and there is an issue because of the therapist's religion or for another reason. Ethically he or she is supposed to nicely and professionally refer that person or persons to someone else.

I learned that in a Human Services/Social Services Ethics Course. It makes sense.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
fishin fool
Legendary

fishin fool By the sea where I feel free

3 yr Member
2,672 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

It makes no difference to me what religion a therapist or anyone else is or is not.
If they try to push their beliefs on me it is an instant turn off and I would not see
them as a therapist. I feel that religion is a very personal choice and should remain
personal. If a therapist is pushing their religion I believe they have chosen the wrong
path in life and cannot remain open minded. I feel that they could actually have a
negative affect on someone. Of course this just my opinion.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-16-2017, 04:22 AM   #5
Astrada

Astrada has no updates.

37 hugs
given

No, why should it?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Seqoya
Seqoya has no updates.

3 yr Member
18 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrada View Post
No, why should it?
It shouldn't.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Arbie
Poohbah

Arbie has no updates.

261 hugs
given

The only thing I would ask of a therapist would be not to judge my beliefs. Other than that, it isn't the purpose for the visit, and would be irrelevant.
Arbie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
BlueEyedMama
Grand Poohbah

BlueEyedMama missing my Mum in law.

3 yr Member
409 hugs
given

It wouldn't bother me to learn that my T is religious or not. Where I draw the line is when they try to push their beliefs onto me.
BlueEyedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
Anonymous50909
Anonymous50909 has no updates. Edit

I'm agnostic and I don't care if my therapist is religious or not as long as they don't bring it into my session.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-27-2017, 01:53 AM   #10
IttyBit
IttyBit has no updates.

8 hugs
given

I don't see a therapist. But if I did, his or her particular spiritual belief would be very important to me. Why the heck would I have someone try to help me when their belief is the opposite of mine???
IttyBit is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: