Old 12-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Nix
Veteran Member

Nix has no updates.

3 yr Member
36 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Would the Religion or Lack of in a Psychiatrist Therapist etc Matter To You?

It does matter to me. The last therapist I tried kept referencing God and "God's plan" for my life, and I am an atheist.

Also, I tend to sense a lot of judgement from religious people and general closed mindedness when it comes to matters of sexuality. Many times words are not even needed. You can just tell by someone's general demeanor that he or she is critical.

I suppose it is possible that I could have a therapist who holds strong religious beliefs and doesn't allow those beliefs to interfere with therapy but quite honestly I think it's unlikely. Their opinion is going to be based on their world view and beliefs. And non-religious people are quite the minority where I live, so it's been frustrating to try to find a therapist that I feel I can connect with.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #12
Nammu
Crone

Nammu has no updates.

Location: Some where between my inner mind and the solar system.
8 yr Member
26.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Would the Religion or Lack of in a Psychiatrist Therapist etc Matter To You?

Don't care what they believe as long as they keep it out of my therapy. How ever if I found out they were far right fundamentalist I'd probably lose all respect for them and seek out someone else.

Nammu is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
Anonymous55397
Anonymous55397 has no updates. Edit

I personally think a therapist's religious beliefs (or lack thereof) should not come into the session because the focus on therapy is the client, not them. I would have no issue with a religious therapist or a non-religious one, because ideally the subject would never come up...and I would never know!

However, if a therapist began bringing their personal religious beliefs into the session, I would be looking for someone else quite quickly.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #14
L.P.

L.P. has no updates.

My Mood: Would the Religion or Lack of in a Psychiatrist Therapist etc Matter To You?

2 yr Member

It kinda does matter to me. Religion has been used to justify abuse in my life, so yeah. Recently I was trying to find a t and due to my deductible, I couldn't afford to use my insurance so I was trying to find a low cost community type based thing and a lot them are through churches. Only one place agreed to keep their faith out of my sessions, and they said they were not equipped to deal with me and my set of issues. I get it, I mean if I'm trying to use a church service, they have every right to insert their faith into my sessions, it's part of who they are and what they do. I'm not mad about it or anything. I just can't use their services because of it.

-Avery

(dx list: DID/PTSD, ASD, GAD, OCD, LMNOP)
L.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #15
Seqoya
Seqoya has no updates.

My Mood: Would the Religion or Lack of in a Psychiatrist Therapist etc Matter To You?

3 yr Member
18 hugs
given

Like I mentioned I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and it doesn't make a difference to me if my Therapist or Psychiatrist is a Witness or not belongs to another religion or is non-religious. I know that there are some licensed Jehovah's Witness Mental Health Professionals. But I've never seen one. Some of the Professionals I've seen I've known whether or not he or she is religious and others I haven't known either way.

It does matter to me that they respect that I am a Witness which has never been an issue. I have been asked once by a Counselor in a hospital and once by an outpatient Psychiatrist if the Witnesses would have any issues with my taking medication or seeking any other treatment. I wasn't expecting those questions. But I answered truthfully that no it's not a problem and there is no issue.

I do know that some religious groups are against psychiatric medication some are even against mental health counseling.

Like I mentioned in another post I had counselor that was a Quaker (Society of Friends) although she stated that she was different in some ways from other Quakers, I've had therapists that have told me that they are not religious at all, I had a Psychiatrist that said that he was raised Catholic but wasn't Catholic but I think he might have been religious he at least seemed to believe in God. Because he said that he believed that different religions were like different languages. They are all trying to say the same thing.

My Family Physician who prescribed my psychiatric medication for a time is some type of Adventist I think a Seventh Day Adventist.

Like I mentioned I've also seen professionals that I don't know whether or not they are religious. For example my current Therapist and Psychiatrist I have no clue.

Anyway I was just interested in other's opinions and feelings. Thank You to those that responded.
Seqoya is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #16
ColdSlumber
ColdSlumber has no updates.

5 hugs
given

Oh geez. I'm not affiliated with any religion. Brought up by Catholics who forced it down my throat every Sunday as a child and I hated everything about it.

This just came to my attention now. I hope people don't have a problem with it when I start practicing. I'll probably about a "don't ask? then don't tell." policy. I LOVE philosophy though, and will definitely quote a lot of them in my sessions. The nice thing about philosophy is that it enables us to pick and choose the good parts of things we don't like and use them to our advantage.

That's what Alain De Botton (a popular YouTube philosopher) mentioned. As an atheist, he is able to go through multiple religions, cherry-pick the good parts, ignore the rest, and utilize them in his own philosophy. I plan on doing the same in my practice.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #17
piggy momma
Veteran Member

piggy momma has no updates.

34 hugs
given

It doesnít matter to me, although my current therapist is a catholic priest. I used to be very devout (thatís how I met him) but religion doesnít even come up in our sessions.
piggy momma is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #18
LifelongLoner

LifelongLoner It's the same old, same old. And, I do mean old!

64 hugs
given

I've had therapists scowl at me when I mentioned that I bought a religious self-help book to deal with my issues. It turned me off the therapist as they seemed intolerant. I am not in tune with the world that modern therapists are promoting as I find it to be very mean. Unfortunately, my experience in some churches proved that religious people can be intolerant and mean too. Currently, I am without a church and without a therapist.
LifelongLoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #19
Blueberrybook
Magnate

Blueberrybook has no updates.

72 hugs
given

I am Christian, but no, it doesn't bother me. I care more about how well they do their job than what religion they do or don't practice. My T is Christian, but I don't know if my pdoc is or not. I don't care as long as he keeps doing his job well.

Bupropion XL 150 mg, Seroquel 500 mg, Lamictal 400 mg, Clonazepam 1 mg 4/day, Clonidine 0.3 mg, Propanolol 10 mg 3/day, Buspar 30 mg 2/day, Adderall 40 mg, Trazodone 25 mg, Protonix 20 mg (ulcer) , Gabapentin 600 mg (fibro), Tizandine 4 mg 4/day (fibro)

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost
Blueberrybook is offline   Reply With Quote