Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 04-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
Kalamity
Kalamity has no updates.

10 yr Member
Default Re: How easily do you trust?

Trust comes very hard for me. I cannot easily state how, when, and who I will trust as it varies per person, per situation, per setting. I trust no one implicitly. I do not trust people of authority, most especially those who my care should be entrusted.

I wish I could trust people. I have tried to quiet that voice that tells me not to trust - I simply am not able to escape it's sense of reasoning. I cannot escape all the memories of all the people that have betrayed my trust with no remorse.

I have never had much of a reason to trust people.
Kalamity is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #12
Dolfin
Veteran Member

Dolfin has no updates.

10 yr Member

For me, trust has to be earned. I used to be a very open, trusting person, until an incident involving my ex-fiance four years ago ruined that. Since then, I have been 'tagged' by my best friend of 25 years as being distant. I just don't throw my trust around like I used to because you never know when, if or where it's going to be violated.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:33 AM   #13
obsids
obsids has no updates.

10 yr Member

I do not trust easily. My ability to trust gets worse with each passing day/week/month/year. Last year and early this year, I was betrayed by 'friends' that I met online. It was a devastating and lifechanging time. There are very few people I trust.... my pdoc, my hubby, my two best friends in RL... but everyone else is on a moment to moment basis. I don't even trust myself completely.

Of course it is a little odd... I can talk about myself, about my experiences, with little problem. It is all factual to me anyway. But I am very hesitant to actually tell anyone at all how I REALLY feel or what I REALLY want. Even the people I trust most do not always get an honest answer. A lot of people confuse trust with how much I am willing to tell them about my personal life. I am pretty good at talking and explaining. Just like I am pretty cooperative at the doctor's office about telling all my symptoms, etc. It is all factual.

I don't think I have ever 'trusted' easily. I was abandoned as an infant and abused as a child. I do tend to be a little oblivious to my surroundings sometimes though. I detach a lot. I don't pay attention to what might happen to me. Maybe it is because I don't really care. I've been hurt a lot, and I just withdraw more and more.

Lord, help me be the person my psychiatrist medicates me to be...
obsids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:53 AM   #14
radio_flyer
Elder

radio_flyer has no updates.

My Mood: How easily do you trust?

10 yr Member
222 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

This was harder to answer than I originally thought. lol The original post was saying that trust always had to be earned, and it wasn't given out freely...Then my mind started saying, "well how about when you trusted so and so the minute you met them, you weren't such a strong bad *** then. Now were you? soo I felt I needed to add the following......which would be more truthful. ..... Umm sometimes I am too trusting and sometimes trust has to be earned. I think it depends on how vulnerable I am at the time. When I am vulnerable I prob would trust anyone, anywhere, and this has gotten me in a "fix" many times. But when I am "strong" trust would have to be earned. And it would take a longgggggg time and I will test them many times.....Not many have passed the test...
Since I am on either side of the fence, and sometimes in the middle, it is hard to say why I am this way with trust issues. It could very well be that I am a "blonde" lol.... or even a Gemini....... or even a tad nuts.. Who knows?????

radio_flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:55 PM   #15
Angel10

Angel10 has no updates.

10 yr Member

I came from a Private Catholic School in Iowa to a Public School in Phoenix. Need I say more?
Angel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #16
loocoti
loocoti has no updates.

10 yr Member

Hi...this is actually my first post. I have a very difficult time trusting anyone to the full extent. I would say I trust one friend and that is about it. I have the most trust in her. That is because we have gone through SO much together that I know I can always trust her and relie on her to not turn her back on me.

I trusted my privious therapist until things went really bad. I mostly trust my present therapist but not fully.

I don't really remember when I stopped trusting. I guess it happend over a stretch of time. Bad relationships and so forth prompted me to kind of back away.

loocoti
loocoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 01:21 AM   #17
LostandLonleySoul

LostandLonleySoul has no updates.

10 yr Member

I have found that I tend to trust people right away then I find little ways that I don't trust them. Sometimes the things that I nit pick and others I think I create. I have no clue why. It seems that the longer that I have known you the less I trust you, and the less that I know you the more I will trust you. I know in theory it should be the other way around. Who knows I must be just built as_backwards.
LostandLonleySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #18
jennie
Poohbah

jennie has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
How easily do you trust others?

Does it vary according to how well or how long you've known the person? Are you the kind of person who trusts people implicitly first, until they do something wrong?? Or do you mistrust everyone initially, and only begin to trust as your friendship or relationship with that person grows?

Can you remember a time in your life where you changed from being implicitly trusting of others, to not trusting anyone? What happened that changed you??

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">

I test everyone to see if they are listening to me. If they pay attention to the trivial things I talk about, then I progress to the next level.

I suppose I learned that people don't really care about what I feel or have to say because of the abuse and neglect I received as a child. I'm very sensitive and quick to notice if someone is ignoring me. I take it personally, withdraw, and put up my walls again (if the walls were ever let down). I want to trust but it's so difficult.
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #19
roxxy

roxxy has no updates.

10 yr Member

I have always trusted everyone....probably more than I should. Even after you betray me I will forgive and trust again.
I have been told I am too trusting
roxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:31 AM   #20
SweetCrusader
Magnate

SweetCrusader has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

How easily do you trust others?

I don't. How easily do you trust?

Does it vary according to how well or how long you've known the person? Are you the kind of person who trusts people implicitly first, until they do something wrong?? Or do you mistrust everyone initially, and only begin to trust as your friendship or relationship with that person grows?

I don't know how to answer that part, because it has varied with different people and different circumstances.

Can you remember a time in your life where you changed from being implicitly trusting of others, to not trusting anyone? What happened that changed you??

Yes I can remember a time like this. It's called my whole childhood. I was going to elaborate, but I can't right now. I'll come back to this when I can...

Soon I'll grow up and I won't even flinch at your name
~Alanis Morissette
SweetCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote