Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:38 PM   #11
HD7970GHZ
Poohbah

HD7970GHZ Primum Non Nocere

My Mood: How to expose a corrupt and unethical Therapist and or Healthcare Professional

5 yr Member
1,849 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: How to expose a corrupt and unethical Therapist and or Healthcare Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by growlycat View Post
By setting up a false scenario, and having a preset agenda one may be biased into leading the outcome towards a certain path. Iím not talking obvious sexual violations by all means report away! There are tons of gray areas that by doing this, could take credibility from a real cause.

For example, Jussie Smollettís situation with the staged beating. He had real and legit concerns about lgbt acceptance in our society but hurt this cause by staging a phony artificial scenario.

If a t is truly being unethical by all means report and sue and repeat as needed. But seeing a therapist for the sole purpose of manufacturing a sting operation may backfire.

In Bold: What do you mean by false scenario? How exactly is it a false scenario when what is being done is perfectly legal and within the rights of any mental health patient? It isn't infringing on anyone and it isn't creating any kind of scenario. If a therapist is going to alter records they will do so regardless if a patient is recording them or not. Suggesting that a therapist will alter records just because a patient is secretly recording them is a fallacious argument.

advertisement
Old 02-21-2019, 11:39 PM   #12
HD7970GHZ
Poohbah

My Mood: How to expose a corrupt and unethical Therapist and or Healthcare Professional

5 yr Member
1,849 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: How to expose a corrupt and unethical Therapist and or Healthcare Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiemom2007 View Post
This borders on paranoid behavior. It is illegal to record someone without their knowledge. You could be prosecuted. If your therapist will not share treatment notes with you, get a reason why. If you don't find the reasons valid, make a formal request in writing. If you still don't get satisfaction, ask your family doctor or psychiatrist to obtain them. That will work. Secretly photographing notes makes no sense when a physician can obtain them in a matter of hours legally. If you have this much suspicion of your therapist, contact the licensing board and state your case. Let them LEGALLY investigate.
Thank you for your response,

In bold: This is not correct. In Canada it is perfectly legal to record someone so long as you yourself give yourself permission to do so. It is called the one party consent law.

Also - it is not paranoid. How is this paranoid? There is nothing paranoid about this it is a means of protecting oneself, is it not?

Alteration of medical records is a cultural and systemic issue in healthcare. It happens very often and a lot of the time you cannot prove it because there are safeguards written in digital software to allow IT technicians to erase remnants of original documents. It is also very common to shred and create new documents in healthcare.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz
Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #13
HD7970GHZ
Poohbah

5 yr Member
1,849 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDoYouFeelMeow? View Post
Some states only require one party to consent to the recording. It is not illegal in these states.

This method sounds time consuming and expensive, but I hope it brings you peace.
Thanks HowdoyoufeelMeow,

You are correct about the part in bold.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-21-2019, 11:45 PM   #14
growlycat
Therapy Ninja

growlycat has no updates.

10 yr Member
16.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I may be misunderstanding your initial post. I took your suggestion to mean that people should seek out a therapist for the sole purpose of exposing them ALL as frauds. There are some really crappy therapists out there and many nightmarish ones but not all.

Or maybe you were only suggesting this for therapists who are already acting badly?

If the first is true, then you are seeking therapy under false pretenses. You are coming into it with a bias towards finding wrongdoing. Your actions could influence the outcome. For example if you go into this thinking all therapists are monsters you may sway the outcome by your own behavior and the muddy the waters between their real or perceived wrongdoing and your intentional wrongdoing.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-21-2019, 11:47 PM   #15
growlycat
Therapy Ninja

growlycat has no updates.

10 yr Member
16.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I do agree that inaccurate and minimal record keeping seems to be pervasive in healthcare. There had to be a better way to resolve that issue.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #16
HowDoYouFeelMeow?
Veteran Member

HowDoYouFeelMeow? has no updates.

3 yr Member
633 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD7970GHZ View Post
Thanks HowdoyoufeelMeow,

You are correct about the part in bold.
Sorry I missed the Canada part! Hopefully that makes things more reasonably priced. ;-)
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 AM   #17
HD7970GHZ
Poohbah

5 yr Member
1,849 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by growlycat View Post
I may be misunderstanding your initial post. I took your suggestion to mean that people should seek out a therapist for the sole purpose of exposing them ALL as frauds. There are some really crappy therapists out there and many nightmarish ones but not all.

Or maybe you were only suggesting this for therapists who are already acting badly?

If the first is true, then you are seeking therapy under false pretenses. You are coming into it with a bias towards finding wrongdoing. Your actions could influence the outcome. For example if you go into this thinking all therapists are monsters you may sway the outcome by your own behavior and the muddy the waters between their real or perceived wrongdoing and your intentional wrongdoing.

In bold: Thank you for understanding. I am not saying you should do this intentionally to draw out illegal behavior. It is more of a method to protect yourself.

The Underline: I still don't quite understand your argument but I suppose we could chalk it up to self-fulfilling prophecy in which case, it is still the therapist's choice to alter medical records and if they do they deserve to get caught.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-22-2019, 03:21 AM   #18
sarahsweets
Poohbah

sarahsweets Humor is my end game..

90 hugs
given

Are you saying this should be done when you have had an issue with a particular therapist already?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #19
here today
Magnate
here today has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,004 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD7970GHZ View Post
. . .For the sake of my own recovery and for the sake of informing others and preventing further trauma
. . .
I agree that those of us who have experienced therapy trauma and harm have important information that could be used to inform others and prevent further trauma.

I'm not sure how effective individual action targeted at one aspect of the problem will be, however. Although, at least you are proposing one specific action plan and I remain kinda stuck.

I would prefer to expose the underbelly of the mental health profession, which I see as possibly competent and relatively caring members of the profession ignoring and tolerating systemic problems, including bad apples, which harm people who come to them for help and care.

There is a conference (again) this week about sex abuse in the Catholic Church. It's taken such a long time -- are there parallels with that situation that we could learn from? What did it take to get that issue addressed directly? And even now that it is being addressed, it is still hard, apparently, for church officials to take action against their colleagues. The Pope did, this week, call sex abuse an "evil".

I think what happened to me has been evil, too. Maybe not consciously in my case, but in their unconsciousness and denial, therapists have been pretty useless for my situation, despite my best efforts and seeking help that I did not know was incapable of helping me. So, in my case, going to therapy all those years was an exercise in putting myself down, and getting put down further by therapists and the therapy process, which did not help.

It's hard to describe or put a name on it, though, for people who have not experienced it. Maybe that is a place to put some more effort -- collect more of our stories, identify commonalities?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #20
Myrto
Poohbah

Myrto has no updates.

3 yr Member
470 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

These all sound like good suggestions to me.

I don't see anything "paranoid" about recording sessions. They're the client's sessions after all and unless someone is going to upload them on YouTube I fail to see the problem.

I recorded all my sessions, most of the time without informing the therapist who would have objected to it of course.Mhm wonder why

I find it odd how people use the law as some sort of objective criteria. Lots of things are perfectly legal and completely immoral and unethical.
Laws aren't made in a vacuum, they reflect the society we live in. After all, it's perfectly legal to marry 9-year-old girls to adult men in various parts of the world.

I think for people like the OP who were abused it's perfectly natural to find ways to protect yourself. And of course abused clients don't trust therapists. That's basic common sense.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Closed Thread