Old 02-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Topiarysurvivor
Topiarysurvivor has no updates.

My Mood: Being brave about therapist exploitation

5 yr Member
42 hugs
given
Default Being brave about therapist exploitation

I have never found another person who was lured into a “relationship” with her therapist, and who ended up living with her.

Am I really alone?

advertisement
Old 02-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #2
Ididitmyway
Magnate

Ididitmyway has no updates.

5 yr Member
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Being brave about therapist exploitation

I haven't heard of anyone like that either. There are people on this forum who make claims that some relationships like that end up in happy marriages. I am yet to hear such a story from a person who actually married their therapist and lived happily with them for at least a few years, not from someone's who "knows" such person. I've read stories published by survivors who married their therapists and described how horrid the whole experience was: when they were in therapy, when they started seeing each other outside of therapy office and after they got married. Those marriages didn't last more than a year and there were few stories like that all together. Almost all exploitative relationships with therapists never even get to that point.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 AM   #3
blackocean
blackocean has no updates.

16 hugs
given

I think it’s the same with sexual exploitation of students by teachers/professors. It happens to a lot of people but there isn’t any organized community
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
HD7970GHZ
Poohbah

HD7970GHZ Primum Non Nocere

5 yr Member
1,849 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topiarysurvivor View Post
I have never found another person who was lured into a “relationship” with her therapist, and who ended up living with her.

Am I really alone?
You are NOT alone. There are many people who have experienced therapist exploitation. Perhaps they have experienced it in different ways but they ARE out there.

I am so happy you have posted this thread. It helps others feel less alone. IT is a step in the right direction.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 AM   #5
susannahsays
Poohbah

susannahsays has no updates.

There was/is that woman who married her therapist, who claimed to have recovered memories of child abuse. Wrote a book called Michelle Remembers or something. He was involved in perpetuating the whole satanic panic era. I would definitely say he exploited the woman in question, along with all the other victims of the falsely recovered memories (the children and their families) and caused immeasurable harm to so many people with his unethical nonsense suggesting therapists can/should recover memories. I'm not saying repressed memories aren't a thing, but false memory syndrome is also unfortunately a very real phenomenon. And therapists like him are the primary culprits.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #6
Anonymous53987
Anonymous53987 has no updates. Edit

You are not alone. My experience was similar. Sadly, I don't consider this forum a safe environment to discuss my experience. I hope you find support.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
unaluna
Elder Harridan x-hankster

unaluna - Lee Van Cleef fangirl

5 yr Member
39.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I know of two people. One was a lesbian relationship that ended after a few years, the other was a heterosexual marriage (he was the t) that continues, AFAIK.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
here today
Magnate
here today has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,004 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryOozit View Post
You are not alone. My experience was similar. Sadly, I don't consider this forum a safe environment to discuss my experience. I hope you find support.
Just speaking for myself, I feel sad that you don't feel comfortable here discussing your experience. I've heard a little bit about it and -- just for what it is worth, hopefully something and hopefully not offensive or invalidating or unsafe -- you sound so strong and humorous that I thought you were saying the experience didn't bother you a bit. So much for my ways of understanding things, if that is wrong, which it sounds like it may be.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
here today
Magnate
here today has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,004 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My experience with just plain old therapist trauma -- realizing I'd been duped by the whole establishment -- leaves me feeling alone. I think that's one of the things about interpersonal trauma in general -- that you were hurt and no one helped. It's still a very scary, lonely feeling for me that that happened. For so long, and that I let it happen, and the people who I was looking to for "help" didn't.

Whatever the unique circumstances of your exploitation, you are definitely not alone in FEELING very alone.

Being brave in talking about it -- yeah, I definitely get that. Being so alone, and vulnerable, is a very scary feeling.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
Ididitmyway
Magnate

Ididitmyway has no updates.

5 yr Member
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by here today View Post
Just speaking for myself, I feel sad that you don't feel comfortable here discussing your experience...
I don't feel safe discussing my experience on this forum either. I did discuss it on some threads, but more so in terms of what happened. I didn't go into my inner emotional experience much and the only reason I've shared anything at all was because I safeguarded myself in advance by putting the most judgmental people on my ignore list after watching them brutalize other survivors. There is no need for anyone here to feel sad for me because of that. I am comfortable with my decision about how to use this forum and for what purpose. There is no right or wrong way of doing it. I know that some people mostly look for connections, support and a sense of community here and that's cool. I don't look for the same things they look for, but I don't have any judgment about it. Equally, I don't want anyone to judge me for using this forum differently from how they are using it. I am saying this because when you feel sad for someone, who doesn't feel comfortable talking about their experiences on this forum, that implies that their discomfort is somehow not normal. And I am saying that there is nothing wrong with it, that's all.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just felt it was important to point this out.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Closed Thread