stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Weird types of therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
So, out of curiosity i googled "greyhound therapy" assuming it had something to do with dogs.

Nope. It's not therapy at all. It was basically the practice of buying ticket for troublesome clients and putting them on a Greyhound bus to get rid of them. YIKES!
It was not all that long ago.
Nevada Sued For ‘Greyhound Therapy’ For Mentally Ill Patients
“Greyhound therapy” patients win lawsuit against NV hospital | The Sacramento Bee

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

"And psychology has once again proved itself the doofus of the sciences" Sheldon Cooper
stopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 01-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #52
atisketatasket
Community Support Team

atisketatasket has no updates.

3 yr Member
9,816 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I suppose if Info and I have a session together shopping at the mall, that’ll be weird.
atisketatasket is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 PM   #53
stopdog
underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Head Case (a tv show - not real)
Dr. Elizabeth Goode is a brash, unconventional and judgmental therapist and thus has become the "it" therapist to those in Hollywood that need some help. Her office is filled with a who's who world of entertainment, sport and music. And even though she is not your typical therapist, her patients always wind up returning for another session.

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

"And psychology has once again proved itself the doofus of the sciences" Sheldon Cooper
stopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #54
octoberful
Veteran Member
octoberful has no updates.

250 hugs
given

This is really a tragedy. What's most concerning is there were entire groups of clinicians and others conspiri g to dump patients rather than one 'bad apple'.

Quote:

UPDATED NOVEMBER 01, 2018 04:36 PM

James Flavy Coy Brown, who had vanished after arriving in town by bus on Feb. 12, is now living at a boarding home in Sacramento. Pictured with his pipe, he awaits his morning medication.

A Las Vegas jury on Thursday unanimously decided in favor of mentally ill people who were cast out of a Nevada psychiatric hospital and bused across the country without proper care or planning.

The Clark County jury decided that each participant in the class-action lawsuit is entitled to $250,000, said Sacramento civil rights attorney Mark Merin, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of patients.

The panel also said Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital, the state’s primary facility for mentally ill people, must revise its discharge policies to ensure that patients are safely transferred in the future.

“I’m so very happy for these patients,” Merin said, minutes after the verdict was announced, “This is one of the high points of my career.”

Merin filed the lawsuits on behalf of James Flavy Coy Brown, whose bus trip took him to Sacramento, and potentially hundreds of others who had similar experiences.

The Sacramento Bee documented Brown’s story beginning in 2013. Subsequent investigations by the newspaper found that Rawson-Neal regularly discharged homeless patients using “Greyhound therapy,” sometimes to places where they had never been and had no ties.

During the long ride to Northern California, Brown had rationed the peanut butter crackers and Ensure nutritional supplements that a staff member at the mental hospital had given him, along with his discharge papers and a bus ticket to Sacramento. His food was gone, and he was nearly out of the medication to treat his array of mood disorders, including schizophrenia, depression and anxiety.

According to a state investigation, Brown spent 72 hours in the hospital’s observation unit before a doctor discharged him to a Greyhound bus to Sacramento. The discharge orders noted he should be given a three-day supply of Thorazine, Klonopin and Cymbalta to treat his schizophrenia, anxiety disorder and depression, plus “Ensure and snacks for a 15-hour bus ride.”

Brown wound up homeless in the capital city after arriving by bus. No prior arrangements had been made for his care or housing. He told police he was advised by the Nevada psychiatric hospital to “call 911” when he arrived in the capital city.
octoberful is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #55
Anne2.0
Magnate
Anne2.0 content

5 yr Member
111 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

"Bus Therapy" has been going on significantly since the 1960's, escalating also under the Reagan administration that drastically cut funding for state mental hospitals. The historical term is "deinstitutionalization." The problem is there aren't enough resources devoted to state hospitals (has anyone really heard of a therapist in the community putting people on buses?), which means there are not enough beds, so they have to keep the sickest people and discharge those who are the most likely to survive on the streets. The other problem is that we don't have places in the community where people discharged from the hospital (a good thing, especially if they don't want to be institutionalized) can go to live and receive help, not enough group homes, or even shelters with mental health resources. It's not as if the state hospital staff don't like certain people and ship them out on a bus. They don't have enough beds and there aren't community resources to send them too, so they put them on buses to places that are less populated or who have greater resources for homeless people. It's not about therapy, it's about a lack of funding at all levels of government to care for people who need help. The problem with the theory of deinstitutionalization is that it asserted a noble motive (to release people from mental hospitals to the community) but it didn't follow through with the resources to actually help them. Increase in homelessness, increase in the mentally ill being arrested, blah blah.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #56
octoberful
Veteran Member

250 hugs
given

I understand deinstitutionalization and its history but its no excuse to do what they are doing and put people in harm's way. That does not justify the actions of these clinicians.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #57
Anne2.0
Magnate
Anne2.0 content

5 yr Member
111 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

If you don't have a bed for someone in the hospital, then you can't admit them. If there's someone who needs the bed more, then you have to discharge someone else. It's not about excuses, it's the reality of the state mental hospitals. I think it's a failure to fund the mental health care system adequately, not the failure of staff at the hospital. In the community I live in, the lack of available beds in the hospital even for short term stays and the lack of places for people in the community is appalling. I understand I see it differently than you and I'm okay with that.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #58
octoberful
Veteran Member

250 hugs
given

Yes, but when they were held accountable $4 million in funding mysteriously appeared.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #59
Arbie
Poohbah

Arbie has no updates.

My Mood: Weird types of therapy

261 hugs
given

Our city has an enormous homeless problem. We live on the west coast, and a lot of the victims of "bus therapy" get sent here. It's terrible.

Please be warned that parts of it can be triggering if you are sensitive to descriptions of abuse. I'm not using anybody's real names, including my own.
Arbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #60
precaryous
Grand Magnate

precaryous has no updates.

3 yr Member
7,229 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
If you don't have a bed for someone in the hospital, then you can't admit them. If there's someone who needs the bed more, then you have to discharge someone else. It's not about excuses, it's the reality of the state mental hospitals. I think it's a failure to fund the mental health care system adequately, not the failure of staff at the hospital. In the community I live in, the lack of available beds in the hospital even for short term stays and the lack of places for people in the community is appalling. I understand I see it differently than you and I'm okay with that.
I agree, i think the failure is also the result of insurance companies reimburse Inpatient mental health care poorly..if insurances cover it at all.

Last edited by precaryous; 01-15-2019 at 10:03 PM..
precaryous is offline   Reply With Quote