Grand Magnate

DP_2017 has no updates.

My Mood: Thinking about termination...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
574 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Thinking about termination...

^ we know it's the industry's term but we don't have to call it that here, they shouldn't even keep calling it that, she's right it does have negative sounding vibes to it.

advertisement
Old 01-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
stopdog
underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Call it whatever you want then. I don't see a problem with their word but I don't see how it would matter in general or to those people if you want to call it something else.

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

"And psychology has once again proved itself the doofus of the sciences" Sheldon Cooper
stopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
ArtleyWilkins
ArtleyWilkins has no updates.

1 hugs
given

I've never had a therapist use the term personally with me, and I've technically "terminated" with every therapist I've ever seen for one reason or another. I agree; the word has a negative connotation that comes off as punitive (like getting a termination letter when a company lays you off or having a terminal illness or maybe a quote by Arnold. LOL!).

Whenever I left a therapist or he had to leave for some reason, we just talked about "ending" our therapy together due to whatever the circumstance was. No need to use the apparently official term they use in the professional literature (but my therapists weren't much into therapy-speak with me).

Professions have their jargon. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to or even should use that jargon with their clients because often the jargon really is loaded, stilted, and just plain wrong. We were fussing about this "jargon" thing at school this week. Our district has adopted a new evaluation system, and in it we are asked to upload "artifacts" as evidence of yadda yadda. Yes, we were going off on the misuse of the term "artifacts." Drives us a bit crazy, but the "professionals" in charge use that term, so we're kind of stuck with it.
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
stopdog
underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think using their jargon is important for clients. I think it is freeing. But I don't think there is a problem if someone wants to use a different term.
I never found getting rid of/terminating/firing a therapist to be a problem for me.

"And psychology has once again proved itself the doofus of the sciences" Sheldon Cooper
Old 01-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
Cheryl27
Elder

Cheryl27 has no updates.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
673 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

The clinic where i go they use the term graduated. I do not know how i like that term it's like once you are done you can't go back, i don't know.
Cheryl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #16
stopdog
underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Graduated would piss me off. I think that is a terrible term for it. That term is completely out of whack with my experience of therapy.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
Anonymous55498
Anonymous55498 has no updates. Edit

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

They probably call it termination to make it sound more professional and like a process. I also dislike graduation for therapy much more. It implies that the client has achieved something or upgraded, which is certainly not always the case.

I did not like the mental preoccupation with therapy either and it was one of the reasons I ended mine - it became an unnatural, useless distraction. If beneficial otherwise, it may be worth taking that side effect. It is indeed unusual for a T to take a 4-month break every year. They should not claim that they do long-term therapy then.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #18
ArtleyWilkins
ArtleyWilkins has no updates.

1 hugs
given

Yeah, not liking "graduated" much better. I would only claim "graduation" from my last therapy experience. The rest were more like extended dropping out of college due to lack of focus or funds. LOL!
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #19
piggy momma
Veteran Member

piggy momma May the Spirit of the season move you.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
33 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
Do we actually need to use the word 'termination'? It feels so negative to me. Perhaps I am just alone in this. Using "termination" connotes to me that everything was an utter failure and that one is leaving their therapist's office on an extremely bad and difficult note. It connotes hate to me too.

Can't we simply state instead that one is 'moving on' or going forward in their care? Do all ceasations of care have to be so utterly horrible? I would rather leave on a positive note myself. Just me though.

Has your therapist suggested anything you can do in between sessions to alleviate the difficulty? Can you ask him about this? Some therapists don't mind or even encourage maintaining contact outside of sessions. Perhaps your own would be agreeable to this. Perhaps you might be able to, as a little bit of homework persay, start or end each day with a journal entry you can share with him a an email or something.
I do journal, and email him constantly - like numerous times a day. And sedntext messages. Iím going to ask him what strategies I can use to get through the period between sessions because right now Iím not even coping. Iím just gasping for each breath to keep me going.
piggy momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #20
NP_Complete
Grand Poohbah

NP_Complete is failing at life in polynomial time

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
3,343 hugs
given

I once used that word with my therapist and he commented on what an awful word that was. So there are even therapists that dislike the word.
NP_Complete is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: