Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement
View Poll Results: Do you ever “eat your session”?
Always 2 5.00%
Often 3 7.50%
Sometimes 8 20.00%
Rarely 5 12.50%
Never 19 47.50%
Never, but I want to 1 2.50%
Therapy is sufficient food for my soul 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #51
ChickenNoodleSoup
Grand Member
ChickenNoodleSoup has no updates.

830 hugs
given
Default Re: Therapy food

If it was a particularly tough session, I tend to grab something I like. Usually either something sweet (with lots of chocolate), a coffee (my T smells like coffee a lot and it reminds me of him) or if I'm not doing well a beer, which is probably never a good idea.
ChickenNoodleSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #52
Anne2.0
Magnate
Anne2.0 content

5 yr Member
112 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenNoodleSoup View Post
If it was a particularly tough session, I tend to grab something I like. Usually either something sweet (with lots of chocolate), a coffee (my T smells like coffee a lot and it reminds me of him) or if I'm not doing well a beer, which is probably never a good idea.
I've been thinking about behavioral reactions to emotional events and wondering how far the concept of self harm stretches. We tend to think of it as specific and deliberate pain/injuries caused to the body, but I also think emotional eating or drinking can be self harm if it is overused for putting a lid on uncomfortable feelings. Sometimes this is necessary and useful and helpful "containment," where there is a difference between a temporary boxing up and a permanent ignoring of difficult feelings and thoughts. Sometimes it is comforting, and certainly a cup of coffee won't ruin a lifetime of good sleeping, nor will a box of cookies give you diabetes , nor will a beer ruin your good health. I also think things that do not directly impact the body can also be self harm, like drunk texting your ex and leaving a VM that you want them back, or reaching out to a friend who freaks out when you are struggling, and you always end up feeling worse afterwards. For me, I can't imagine living a life where every minute is spent doing things that are only good for me and my body, mind, spirit. I sometimes enjoy things that are harmful to me, and I sometimes think the key is to avoid having a big sense of guilt about it, and just accept it.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #53
atisketatasket
Community Support Team

atisketatasket has no updates.

3 yr Member
9,832 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaluna View Post
I wondered who ate egg bagels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberful View Post
Me too
Hey! They got extra protein!
atisketatasket is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #54
octoberful
Veteran Member

octoberful has no updates.

273 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
next we'll hear you drink egg nog too!
octoberful is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #55
Waterloo12345
Waterloo12345 has no updates.

233 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
I've been thinking about behavioral reactions to emotional events and wondering how far the concept of self harm stretches. We tend to think of it as specific and deliberate pain/injuries caused to the body, but I also think emotional eating or drinking can be self harm if it is overused for putting a lid on uncomfortable feelings. Sometimes this is necessary and useful and helpful "containment," where there is a difference between a temporary boxing up and a permanent ignoring of difficult feelings and thoughts. Sometimes it is comforting, and certainly a cup of coffee won't ruin a lifetime of good sleeping, nor will a box of cookies give you diabetes , nor will a beer ruin your good health. I also think things that do not directly impact the body can also be self harm, like drunk texting your ex and leaving a VM that you want them back, or reaching out to a friend who freaks out when you are struggling, and you always end up feeling worse afterwards. For me, I can't imagine living a life where every minute is spent doing things that are only good for me and my body, mind, spirit. I sometimes enjoy things that are harmful to me, and I sometimes think the key is to avoid having a big sense of guilt about it, and just accept it.
I take an elastic view of self harm. It's less the action - which can be all the things you mentioned and exercise, working excessively etc, if its done to hide, bury, ignore difficult feelings and thoughts. Obvs it is a continuum as sometimes a bit of distraction is good but there is a sphere when it becomes self harm I think.
Waterloo12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #56
atisketatasket
Community Support Team

atisketatasket has no updates.

3 yr Member
9,832 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberful View Post
next we'll hear you drink egg nog too!

Loathe that stuff.
atisketatasket is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #57
unaluna
Elder Harridan x-hankster

unaluna - Lee Van Cleef fangirl

My Mood: Therapy food

5 yr Member
38.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
Like 1 g, whose nutritional value may or may not be outweighed by the increase in fat (~1 g) and cholesterol (from 0 to 25 mg ).
unaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: