Grand Member
ChickenNoodleSoup has no updates.

2 yr Member
920 hugs
given
Default Re: In Session Today: Part VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryOozit View Post
A forum where responses are not encouraged and replies are ruled out! An excellent idea! How about we all get together and bake some cakes we never eat? Or a book club without pages?
(Sorry for using people as examples, can be replaced by anyone, it just popped into my head as this right now)

Rather a forum where offtopic discussions are discouraged. If I open this thread, I expect to read: Session of Echos. Maybe some reply saying it sounded like a good session. Session of LT. Maybe a similar reply. And so on.

What I don't expect is what I read half the time: Session of LT. 5 people: great, good job, how do you feel. Some offering their advice on stuff of the session. Some derailing and commenting on the T. Session of Echos. Somebody saying sounds like a good session, how do you feel? Somebody answers something about LTs session. Echos answers his question. Now we already got two separate discussions that are not at all about the sessions anymore...

If you want to discuss things, open a thread to discuss it or discuss it on the couch or something. This thread should be for posting about the session. Not the session, the T, whether you agree with the T, whether the sun is yellow...
ChickenNoodleSoup is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-08-2019, 05:19 PM #22
underdog is here

underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

A Jungian's view of it:
The Vessel | Jung At Heart

But admittedly - I do not understand the desire to literally transcribe every minute of an appointment or to get (or give) accolades for the appointment interactions - that seems a tad strange to me. But the list of things that seem strange to me in general is probably long and not the same as the lists of everyone else.
I don't care one way or the other if people do it - just, like most of how others approach therapy, foreign to me.

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
"And psychology has once again proved itself the doofus of the sciences" Sheldon Cooper

Last edited by stopdog; 01-08-2019 at 05:38 PM.
stopdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-08-2019, 05:27 PM #23
Grand Member

Grand Member
octoberful Object Relations Evangelist

382 hugs
given

I haven't read this thread for a while, so maybe out of place...

Echos, regarding your post on the closed thread, I noted the difference your T is referring to is interacting with displaced feelings (fuels transference) vs interacting with genuine feelings (doesn't fuel transference).

It's not the subject of the feelings, it's the nature of them. Using displaced due to lack of a better word.
octoberful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 PM #24
Grand Poohbah

Grand Poohbah
SalingerEsme has no updates.

3,750 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat27 View Post
I've had some responses to my session writeups that were meaningful and I'm very glad to have had them. I'd feel weird writing "responses okay" because I'd worry it seemed like I was asking for or expected responses.
Maybe different post icons could mean that responses are okay or not? Like the yellow speech bubble = responses okay/welcome
I agree with this. Open hearted responses enrich the forum.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-08-2019, 05:58 PM #25
underdog is here

underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

If one wants a discussion over one's particular appointment - why not just start a specific thread on it?

"And psychology has once again proved itself the doofus of the sciences" Sheldon Cooper
Old 01-08-2019, 06:00 PM #26
Grand Member

Grand Member
LabRat27 has no updates.

1,950 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
If one wants a discussion over one's particular appointment - why not just start a specific thread on it?
I feel guilty for asking for attention ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I don't necessarily want an entire thread's worth of discussion, but sometimes a response is nice.
LabRat27 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 PM #27
Elder

Elder
SlumberKitty is hurting.

17.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Also I don't necessarily want an entire thread's worth of discussion, but sometimes a response is nice.
I agree. That's how I feel too. Kit
SlumberKitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-08-2019, 06:10 PM #28
Grand Magnate

Grand Magnate
DP_2017 has no updates.

646 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Overall, I think IST worked well as it was..... people commented if they wanted and the poster would reply to that or not if they chose.

It would be a good idea if you have an issue with someone or something written on there, or any thread really, to message privately and not post there, that's how the topics can go off elsewhere.

I feel bad for my part in what happened but I was trying to defend LT as my friend and then had to stick up for myself when I got attacked. All of it could have been avoided if people would have messaged each other privately.

While I don't have a T to write IST stuff for anymore, I did enjoy reading the recaps for some people... and it would be nice to get back to that and have the choice, as a poster here if I want to comment or not, no one has to reply if I do but I don't think we need separate threads for everything.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-08-2019, 06:16 PM #29
underdog is here

underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
I feel guilty for asking for attention ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What kind of response? I am serious - what kinds of responses do people want to their interactions with a therapist? I really don't know - I can't think of any sort of response to an appointment I had that would have been useful for me. Certainly not the types I see going on here. For someone like me, a specific indication of what is being sought is very useful.
Again I am not saying don't do it - just trying to figure out what is being asked for.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 PM #30

VariableNovember formerly known as daisydid

40 hugs
given

Well heck. I feel bad wanting to actually discuss my session today. Ah well.

It was season 3 with new T today. I guess, I don't know that I like her. She asked me at the end of the last session to do a DBT diary card. She seems to be all gung ho for trying DBT with fidelity with me. The last T who tried discussed skills like, once maybe. I decided that doing the diary card was going to be BS, so I made my own mood tracker inspired by the traditional diary card. T seemed to be a big fan.

She spent some time looking over my journal, and made an interesting connection. Friday I was really struggling, but she proposed that I was just super triggered from Thursday when I attended this 2.5 hour training at work on trauma informed care. So what did I think about? My own childhood traumas.

She noted that I didn't seem super excited to be at therapy. That I never am, and often get disregulated afterwards. I explained that while I don't disagree that skill building will be good for me, I also need someone to give me a hug and tell me they love me.

"You want to feel supported. I get that. Also, I feel like if I did try to hug you that you might punch me."

She recommended some kind of positive reinforcement to help me associate therapy with a good thing instead of terrible therapy feelings. H later recommended cheesecake.

We spent the last 20 minutes talking about some DBT skills, which led to a conversation about my a-hole AP at work and what it looks like when someone brushes their teeth.

ETA: I am feeling very vulnerable in having really begun therapy with someone who isn't my old T and I get that there's drama, but support or feedback would be appreciated if you feel it appropriate.
VariableNovember is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote