Poohbah

SheHulk07 Losing my mind just a little

My Mood: I feel like a crap client this week

5 yr Member
57 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default I feel like a crap client this week

I'm struggling with feeling like I have wasted my Ts time this week because I haven't been completely present during our sessions. On Monday I had a horrible headache that made me feel out of sorts and didn't really talk much that day. Then today's session it seems like I have my child's cold and my voice is going. He mentioned it right away once I started talking and I said I have a cold. I wasn't sneezing or coughing during session, just was rambling and didn't feel all there. The session feels like a blur, and I feel bad for going in, wasting his time, and having this stupid cold. I'm supposed to see him Friday morning and I'm hoping I'll feel better by then and feel more productive.
SheHulk07 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-10-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
stopdog
underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I feel like a crap client this week

I don't believe a client can waste a therapist's time. Therapists are paid for their time - it is, in fact, the only thing they clearly sell. Clients might waste their own time and money, but the therapist gets paid no matter what the client does with that time.

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
stopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #3
SummerTime12

SummerTime12 has no updates.

5 yr Member
591 hugs
given

Youíre definitely not wasting his time! Thatís your time that you pay for. He can choose to work during that hour and receive compensation, or do something else. You are not wasting his time because no matter what you say/donít say during that time slot, it is your time and he will be focusing on you no matter what the content.
SummerTime12 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-11-2018, 12:29 AM   #4
Argonautomobile
Magnate

Argonautomobile We'll all float on okay.

3 yr Member
1,907 hugs
given

No one runs at 100%, 100% of the time. Cut yourself some slack. I hope you feel better soon. I'm sure the next session will be better.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
Anne2.0
Magnate
Anne2.0 happy and grateful

5 yr Member
102 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Your T is paid for his time with you and therefore it can not be wasted, especially under circumstances you couldn't exactly control-- but that goes towards how you can waste your own time in therapy.

I'm not sure it's helpful to be so hard on yourself. While it suggests you care about your own progress in therapy, I don't think your T's role is to judge you on it.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
here today
Magnate
here today has no updates.

5 yr Member
771 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I agree with others, you can't realistically waste the therapist's time because they are getting paid for the appointment, whether by you or insurance or an agency.

Nevertheless you feel like you did and you are struggling with it.

I wonder -- and certainly feel free to dismiss this idea, no questions asked, it's entirely up to you -- if perhaps somewhere inside you feel like you wasted your own time, given that you were physically not well. That could easily explain how you were "not present" -- nothing you could consciously do about it, your body was just trying to take care of your physical being.

There have definitely been times in my life when I did not feel that my own time was valuable, that my own priorities and limitations (including illness) counted for anything. But, biologically, the body "knows" those illnesses do count. Yes, we can overcome them to do things with high priority -- like taking care of our kids. But, maybe, much as therapy is important to you overall, on Monday and yesterday, it was just not possible, physically, for you to "be there" completely.

If you don't feel better by tomorrow, what would you think about considering cancelling the appointment for Friday? Or feeling OK with yourself for still not being completely present.
here today is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
SlumberKitty
Poohbah

SlumberKitty is hurting.

2,256 hugs
given

Try not to beat yourself up. You weren't feeling well physically and so therefore you weren't able to be at your best, but you still did the very best you could at the time with the situation you were in. (((hugs)))
SlumberKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
SheHulk07
Poohbah

SheHulk07 Losing my mind just a little

5 yr Member
57 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you for replying. I've been beating myself up about it most of the week because I wasn't there physically and really can't remember most of what we talked about. It's all kind of a blur. I did end up canceling yesterday's session because I completely lost my voice and feel miserable. I texted him yesterday to let him know I wasn't going to be there and what was going on. I'm hoping my voice will come back by Monday.
SheHulk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
Fuzzybear
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
45.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
I don't believe a client can waste a therapist's time. Therapists are paid for their time - it is, in fact, the only thing they clearly sell. Clients might waste their own time and money, but the therapist gets paid no matter what the client does with that time.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
SlumberKitty
Poohbah

SlumberKitty is hurting.

2,256 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHulk07 View Post
Thank you for replying. I've been beating myself up about it most of the week because I wasn't there physically and really can't remember most of what we talked about. It's all kind of a blur. I did end up canceling yesterday's session because I completely lost my voice and feel miserable. I texted him yesterday to let him know I wasn't going to be there and what was going on. I'm hoping my voice will come back by Monday.
I hope you feel better soon.
SlumberKitty is offline   Reply With Quote