Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
goatee has no updates.

72 hugs
given
Default Inner child work

Iím just wondering - if anyone has done inner child work with their therapist - what has doing that kind of work looked like and entailed? My T and I are starting to edge towards it and I have no idea what to expect or what it is supposed to encompass. I would appreciate any info at all- like what would actually happen during the session, what the goal is, how it works, etc.
goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 07-14-2018, 02:59 AM   #2
Grand Poohbah

Lemoncake is a potato.

My Mood:

2,378 hugs
given
Default Re: Inner child work

John Bradshaw has a old series available on youtube called "homecoming". I cried just watching it, but haven't finished it. Each episode is an hour long.
Lemoncake is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
Comfy Sedation

junkDNA is a bean

My Mood:

5 yr Member
7,726 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

working on how to comfort the inner child during times of distress. taking care of the child parts needs. t "parented" it to a healthy enough state... the rest of the work is on me now... strengthening my healthy adult and redirecting my parent part to be more compassionate and nurturing rather than critical and abusive
Old 07-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

RiverLight has no updates.

My Mood:

75 hugs
given

It's nice to have your therapist guide you through it.

My T wrote "inner child work" on a post it, handed it to me, and said "Google this and try it out." The next week I came in and said, "I'm not sure what I learned," and she said, "Oh, okay, that's fine, we don't have to do that" as if she were kind of embarrassed, and we never talked about it again. I had stuff to tell her about it, but she kind of shut it down. So I can't speak from much experience except to say, good luck & I'm glad your T will be with you in the process.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Swimmer of New Waters

ArtieSwimsOn New Art, new start!

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,195 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I did some of that with ex-t. I think it was pretty helpful, I went from in the very beginning of it telling her of my inner little Artie that I hated her and wanted her to go away.
Possible trigger:
I learned over time to show that young wounded inner child compassion, and I specifically did things 'for' or 'with' her, things I know I liked when I was little. Like 'we' went swimming and danced in the water cuz no one else was at the pool haha, also I brought colored pencils to work and drew/colored flowers between calls sometimes, and then later we did some work with 15 (what I call my inner teenager) and I found that she really likes reading young adult fiction - I'm still reading it to this day, I have about 150 free ebooks downloaded on my tablet and I read every day on my lunch break. This delights my stubborn inner teenager no end. I did a lot of dream work with ex-t and most of the 'inner child' work we did was around dreams where I was either young, or in the dreams i was back in my childhood home as an observer. We did a lot (a lot-a lot) of talking about my childhood as well.
Possible trigger:
I learned how to be the 'good enough mother' to my own inner little girl. It's still very much a work in progress I have to remind myself of it when I find myself reacting from that wounded little girl part of me.

~ Melissa Etheridge "Ruins"
ArtieSwimsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
goatee has no updates.

72 hugs
given

Thank you so much for the comments, everyone. This is really helping me. Just wondering, has anyoneís therapist ever actually talked to their little girl part? Is that a typical part of the work?
goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
Poohbah

Ididitmyway has no updates.

5 yr Member
58 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Unfortunately, the inner child work is not a part of the formal psychotherapy training. I think, it's because it sounds too "mystical" or "new agie" for the state to recognize something like that as a "medical" practice.

IMO, however, this should be the main focus of therapy for most people who are open to the concept of inner child. To me the inner child is the purest expression of life energy that needs to be freed if we want to enjoy life.

As I said, unfortunately, the inner child work is not a part of the formal therapy training, but many therapists tap into the inner child energy of their clients if they do art, play, music, dance or any other type of therapy that is based on encouraging free self-expression.

There is also a lot of information on the inner child work online that offers ideas and exercises on how to do this work on your own.

I was not fortunate enough to work with a therapist who did the inner child work, but I did some of it on my own.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Ididitmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-15-2018, 04:49 AM   #8
Grand Poohbah

MoxieDoxie trust is a myth and caring is a painful lie

My Mood:

5 yr Member
281 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Ego State Therapy works on the child part. It is based on 3 parts: The Parent, The Adult, and the child. IFS is ego state therapy but google Ego state therapy.
When a childís emotional needs are not met and a child is repeatedly hurt and abused, this deeply and profoundly affects the childís development. Wanting those unmet childhood needs in adulthood. Looking for safety, protection, being cherished and loved can often be normal unmet needs in childhood, and the survivor searches for these in other adults. This can be where survivors search for mother and father figures. Transference issues in counseling can occur and this is normal for childhood abuse survivors.
MoxieDoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: