Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement
View Poll Results: Has the therapist told you it is/has been a privilege/honor/other to work with you?
Yes 34 58.62%
No 20 34.48%
Maybe 2 3.45%
Other 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Has the therapist told you it is/has been a privilege/honor/other to work with you?

Has the therapist ever told you it is/has been a privilege/honor/other to work with you? Did you believe they were sincere or was it more like something they learned in How to be a Therapist 101?

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Last edited by stopdog; 06-14-2018 at 11:05 PM..
stopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 06-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
Community Support Team

atisketatasket @@ERROR

2 yr Member
7,441 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Has the therapist told you it is/has been a privilege/honor/other to work with yo

I did not think those who said it (DBC and Info) meant it. DBC in particular, especially since we were only working together 2 months and neither of us seemed to enjoy it.
atisketatasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Has the therapist told you it is/has been a privilege/honor/other to work with yo

I was surprised when the woman said it to me. Thus it sort of sealed for me that such a phrase was simply a large part of the last chapter What To Say At The End -in the book Things For A Therapist To Say.

The second one said that at the end the client says "thank you for working with me" and the therapist says "It has been my privilege to work with you"
I think my mouth dropped open. Of course, I did not say it and neither did she. Instead I asked "What the hell was actually supposed to happen here" and she said "It depends"

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Last edited by stopdog; 06-14-2018 at 11:09 PM..
stopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #4
Poohbah

annielovesbacon is manic?? depressed?? anxious?? help?!

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,061 hugs
given

I can't think of a time when my current therapist has said anything like that, but when my former therapist and I terminated, she noted that I came to every scheduled session. I asked, rather naively, "Do other people not?" She laughed and said no, and that she felt lucky to have worked with me.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
Grand Member

fille_folle doesn't want to get up.

My Mood:

527 hugs
given

The previous therapist that I hired (isn't that the usual phrase? ) didn't say that exactly, no. She would sometimes say she had learned a lot from me.

I do think I would have trouble taking the whole "privilege to work with you" thing seriously. It sounds so stilted and generic.
fille_folle is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-15-2018, 03:19 AM   #6
Comfy Sedation

junkDNA is a bean

My Mood:

5 yr Member
7,716 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

yes he has and yes I felt he was sincere
Old 06-15-2018, 04:40 AM   #7
Echos Myron redux has parent(hesis) issues

My Mood:

255 hugs
given

I can't remember the exact words but he has made me feel he is grateful to work with me and that he has learnt a lot from working with me. I felt it was sincere. But then he usually is sincere.
Echos Myron redux is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-15-2018, 04:55 AM   #8
Magnate

nottrustin has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
90 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Both people IWork with have said it is a pleasure to work with me and that enjoy working with me. T1 has said she has also learned a Lot from me. Do I think they say such things to other clients? Yup. However, I don't think they Re insensire when they say it.

nottrustin is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #9
Grand Poohbah

Xynesthesia has no updates.

2 yr Member
241 hugs
given

In the beginning they both said things along those lines. I believe I seemed a more promising and cooperative client initially. At the end, no. But I never went to session to tell them I was quitting, I did it over email. Then I just went back a couple more times here and there to talk about specific things. There was no termination process or meeting for me. I kept in loose touch with my last T via email, so there wasn't really a clear ending.

With first T, we ended in a quite nasty rupture that was never fixed and just got worse, so it would have been really weird if he had expressed anything positive. He said other nonsensical things though.

I do believe that versions of "it has been a privilege/honor to work with you" is a phrase used by many professionals who work with clients, not just Ts. I do think that sometimes it can be sincere, but both parties likely feel when it is genuine and also when it is just an empty phrase. I also think that if they want to express that they were pleased with the work/client, it's much more meaningful to make it more specific, list a few things that they enjoyed or found useful for them.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #10
Grand Member
SalingerEsme has no updates.

My Mood:

1,585 hugs
given

No. I love my T , but part of his charm is that he feels it is an honor to work with HIM. He is always glad to see himself