Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #431
Community Support Team

atisketatasket @@ERROR

2 yr Member
7,441 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Couch 168: Live at Fjallsárlón

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey 2.0 View Post
That’s a good idea, but wherever I start also has to pay the bills. My H and I live pretty much paycheck to paycheck so there is very little wiggle room taking a job-making less than what I make now. Like for example, I though that I’ll stop nannying but go work in a daycare, from there earn my CDA, then become a lead teacher in a daycare or preschool. But then I saw that the daycare centers around here pay like 10 bucks an hour. Can’t live off that. Not even close. So then I looked into office jobs and they either want schooling or experience or pay peanuts. I mean, I know you have to start at the bottom, but my dilemma is that I also have to be able to afford to live.
Retail—Costco and Walmart—supposedly pays better than that. Some supermarket chains like Trader Joe’s, if you’re near one, too.

Perhaps find a part-time job somewhere while keeping the current position (I know, it’s a lot), get some experience so as to qualify for higher wages, then switch?

My understanding of the Starbucks/ASU program is that you only have to be part-time at Starbucks to sign up for the program, though you probably have to have a number of months there first. And you are less limited in your choice of study than other companies that are taking the same path.
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 06-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #432
Magnate
Jersey 2.0 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2,649 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I’m looking at want ads and they advertise “Competitive Pay! $12.00 an hour” in what universe is 12 bucks an hour competitive pay? Seriously. And I don’t live outside my means. I have a very small home, a used car and wear cheap clothes.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #433
Community Support Team

atisketatasket @@ERROR

2 yr Member
7,441 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have to drag myself out of bed and go get some medication.

I really hate this cold. I may have to cancel Piaf tomorrow too.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #434
Magnate

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2,649 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
Retail—Costco and Walmart—supposedly pays better than that. Some supermarket chains like Trader Joe’s, if you’re near one, too.

Perhaps find a part-time job somewhere while keeping the current position (I know, it’s a lot), get some experience so as to qualify for higher wages, then switch?

My understanding of the Starbucks/ASU program is that you only have to be part-time at Starbucks to sign up for the program, though you probably have to have a number of months there first. And you are less limited in your choice of study than other companies that are taking the same path.
Those are some good ideas. I’ll have to speak with my sister as well to see if there is anything open in her company. She has a good job in an insurance company, but I think you have to have a bachelors degree. Yes, I regret not continuing my education.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #435
Magnate

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2,649 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
I have to drag myself out of bed and go get some medication.

I really hate this cold. I may have to cancel Piaf tomorrow too.
I really hope you start feeling better soon.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #436
Veteran Member

whispershadow maybe one time lost, but now you're found

My Mood:

591 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Feel better soon tisket
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #437
underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

There are two books you might look at -- The Tightwad Gazette and Your Money or Your Life. Both have ideas on transforming one's relationship with money and getting out of debt. Not all the ideas will be pertinent to anyone's specific situation and there are choices involved - but I found them quite interesting and helpful.

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #438
Insecurely Attached

LonesomeTonight Wants to find what can't be found.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
34.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:

Also check into places, like grocery stores, that are part of unions (assuming they're still around)--H worked in one in high school (which, granted, was 20 years ago) and he got much higher pay than comparable retail jobs (you don't want to know the pathetic hourly amount I made at Spencer's in high school...).
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #439
Magnate

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2,649 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
There are two books you might look at -- The Tightwad Gazette and Your Money or Your Life. Both have ideas on transforming one's relationship with money and getting out of debt. Not all the ideas will be pertinent to anyone's specific situation and there are choices involved - but I found them quite interesting and helpful.
I’ll look into those. Thank you.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #440
Swimmer of New Waters

ArtieSwimsOn is ready for the real world.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,079 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm going to look at those books too sd - thanks. We're mostly staying out of debt, well we had just finished paying off h's hospital bills and now I'm going to have some, but besides the unexpected hospital stays, h and I have gotten a lot better at living within our means. But I still have a screwed-up relationship with money that's for darn sure.

~ Melissa Etheridge "Ruins"
Hugs from:
Closed Thread