Therapy Ninja

growlycat has no updates.

My Mood: In session t vs real life t

10 yr Member
15.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default In session t vs real life t

Have you ever had a glimpse of what your tís personality might be like in real life vs in session?

For example my t lately seems like his personal life isnít going so well. His ďrealĒ personality seems more manicky- cracking jokes constantly- and way more distractsble. I have confidence in his abilities as a t but wondering if I knew him as a person he would be a hot mess.

Have you ever seen the man or woman behind the curtain even for a moment? What did you notice? What was it like?
growlycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 02-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
stopdog
underdog is here
stopdog has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: In session t vs real life t

I don't think the ones I have seen are the same in real life as they present themselves as therapists.

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
stopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
unaluna
formerly hankster

unaluna "President Coma Ti Chiamo" i.e., pres. watsisname

5 yr Member
34k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Impatient, brusque.

Probably doesnt sit there and ask, "what are you thinking?" like i used to do to my exes, like he does now, which btw is starting to bug me.
unaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-13-2018, 12:45 AM   #4
captgut
Grand Poohbah

captgut has no updates.

1,316 hugs
given

I'm trying to see J (T's short name) behind the doctor EI (T's full name). I'm really curious what kind of person he is in real life.

I think he's really comfortable with me and shows quite a lot of his "real personality". Sometimes he can say something like "As a therapist, I shouldn't have said that" or "Oh, therapists don't behave like that" or "Bad, bad therapist" (jokingly). I guess that means that it was his "real personality"?

I really like when he behaves like a human. I like doctor EI, but I like J too. I'm sure he's a nice person. Maybe not perfect, but who is?
captgut is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #5
Anonymous54545
Anonymous54545 has no updates. Edit

My T says that she is the realist therapist she knows. She occasionally jokes or comments on how a lot of them are stuffy and hold back from their clients but she really tries not to do that. She laughs with me. She cries with me. She isnt afraid to admit mistakes or accept responsibility. She says is more "tuned in" at the office than at home but I dunno, she seems pretty genuine to me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2018, 01:25 AM   #6
Anonymous57382
Anonymous57382 has no updates. Edit

There's a video of T on YouTube where someone at a conference asks T for a short interview and you can see he doesn't want to do it. (LT saw it and said he "had the air of 'f*** off'" which made me laugh).
It's the only time I've ever seen him looking less than kind and accepting.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2018, 03:55 AM   #7
QuietMind
Grand Magnate

QuietMind has no updates.

3 yr Member
346 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

In Session T definitely doesn't make hilarious goofy faces or take silly selfies and photographs. I'm mindful that instagram is curated heavily, especially her public one and her friends' public ones.

In Session T is at work, not out enjoying her personal life. In Session T is a lot more serious, definitely sober (she drinks socially, it seems), I can see why she prefers her personal life to her work with me.

I think real T would be way more open, less blank slate than In Session T...I know almost nothing about real T except through her instagram. She very rarely self discloses in session, and never makes small talk in session.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2018, 04:58 AM   #8
junkDNA
Comfy Sedation

junkDNA is a bean

5 yr Member
7,736 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by growlycat View Post
Have you ever had a glimpse of what your tís personality might be like in real life vs in session?

For example my t lately seems like his personal life isnít going so well. His ďrealĒ personality seems more manicky- cracking jokes constantly- and way more distractsble. I have confidence in his abilities as a t but wondering if I knew him as a person he would be a hot mess.

Have you ever seen the man or woman behind the curtain even for a moment? What did you notice? What was it like?
I think I do see behind the curtain with my t. He doesn't really change his personality . But what would I know. I do know he wouldn't be as attentive like in our session irl. I just don't see my t putting on a face or act in session vs not in session. But I am never seeing him at his home or anywhere besides there so I very well could be wrong
Old 02-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #9
Anonymous59090
Anonymous59090 has no updates. Edit

When she was suggested to me yrs ago. The person who knew her said he knew her professionally and privately and had great respect for her.
Her other interests outside of therapy indicate she's much the same in therapy and out.
She admits if I was to spend the day with her it would be different, less intense. But I don't believe that means she turns into something much different to the person I've come to know.
But she has undergone Her own analysts during training . I think that integrates a person more so less extremes. Not that I get the feeling she's ever been anything other than who she does to me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #10
atisketatasket
Community Support Team

atisketatasket @@ERROR

3 yr Member
8,269 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

From what I can see via the internet, 3 and Info are much the same as in session. DBC is a heck of a lot nicer in real life.

May I ask how, in session, you know which is ďrealĒ and which is not? How do you know you got a glimpse of the person behind the curtain? Thatís a question for anyone, not just GC.
atisketatasket is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: