Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement
View Poll Results: Does your T charge for outside contact?
My T doesn't charge at all for any type/length of outside contact 49 68.06%
My T charges for any time of outside contact (phone, e-mail, text) 3 4.17%
My T charges for outside contact that takes longer than 15 minutes (or some similar amount) 2 2.78%
My T charges for phone calls, but not e-mails/texts 1 1.39%
My T has a policy that they could technically charge if it got excessive, but hasn't generally charged me 5 6.94%
My T doesn't allow outside contact 12 16.67%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 10-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
She of the Great Memory

LonesomeTonight Wants to find what can't be found.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
26.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Do your T's charge for outside contact?

If so, do they charge for any amount of outside contact? Just certain forms (like charging for phone call but not e-mail)? Just contact that takes longer than a certain amount of time (say, 15 minutes)? Or do they not allow outside contact at all?

To clarify, second option should say "any amount or type of contact." As in, would they charge for a 2-minute phone call, a brief (2-3 sentence) e-mail response, etc.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 10-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Swimmer of New Waters

ArtieSwimsOn knows who she isn't, but not who she is.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2,508 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Do your T's charge for outside contact?

My t says she charges a pro-rated amount for phone calls over 15 minutes but I rarely call so haven't seen how that works. She's never charged me for emails, but responds only very briefly to them if at all.
ArtieSwimsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

ElectricManatee has no updates.

366 hugs
given

No charge for outside contact, which for my T is phone calls and email (no texting). Phone calls have lasted anywhere from 10-45 minutes, but usually they are 15-25 minutes. I have never sent or received an email longer than 1-2 short paragraphs (or else I would just call). It seems really generous to me, but so far she has been willing to do it.
ElectricManatee is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Wise Elder
lolagrace has no updates.

2 yr Member
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've never had a therapist charge for outside contact, but I've never been one to make too much outside contact unless there was an emergency. I'm not certain they were "free" for every client. I honestly don't remember what their official policy stated, but my guess is that there was probably some point at which charges might be made -- I just never noticed it.

I know my pdoc does charge for after hours services, but I also know that is to some extent at his discretion because again, he never charged me because I was very reasonable about how much contact I asked for and he never found that I contacted him except when it was an emergency.

ETA: I think it is reasonable to charge for services after hours so long as those policies are known up front.

It's not your fault, but it IS your problem.

If your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you truly never fought the opponent that defeated you.
lolagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
Grand Magnate

ScarletPimpernel has no updates.

3 yr Member
902 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My T charges for phone calls over 15mins. We've never gone over 15mins luckily.
But there is really something wrong with me."

ScarletPimpernel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
An Event

atisketatasket feels like this cat.

2 yr Member
4,655 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Some of them had contracts that stated they would, but I never used it that much except with 3, so I don't know.

But the ones I have used outside contact with are private practice, and 3 called it "part of the package." Those who took insurance were much more adamant they would charge if there were outside contact, since they could not bill insurance for it and were already not getting their full fee from insurance.
atisketatasket is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Rayne_ stressed

159 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

No, he doesn't charge. But he brought up a long time ago how he doesn't get paid for emails.

Not that I sent that many, but I told him something to the effect that I don't get paid extra either for emails I return outside of work hours. And that was that.
Rayne_ is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
She of the Great Memory

My Mood:

2 yr Member
26.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
Some of them had contracts that stated they would, but I never used it that much except with 3, so I don't know.

But the ones I have used outside contact with are private practice, and 3 called it "part of the package." Those who took insurance were much more adamant they would charge if there were outside contact, since they could not bill insurance for it and were already not getting their full fee from insurance.
Hm, interesting...the person who charges (T2) is in private practice (and, like, I hand him my credit card, so pretty sure he's getting full fee!). There's just been a...misunderstanding maybe? on what I thought was a pretty straightforward policy. And he seems to be going back on something else he said earlier, but maybe I misunderstood something.

Like I thought he only charged if over 15 minutes, and then he'd give a grace period of one e-mail, then say "Hey, in the future, I'd charge you for a response that long." And that a long e-mail maybe once a quarter is fine, no charge. And brief e-mails (taking <15 minutes to read/respond) are fine like 2 out of 3 weeks. But then he tried to charge me for the first long e-mail (no warning), that I only sent because I figured there wouldn't be a charge. He's refunding the charge but was weird about it, claiming I misremembered the conversation (it was 2 weeks ago!) and that from now on he'd be charging for any outside contact that wasn't about scheduling. Not clear on whether that now includes brief e-mails, including where I wouldn't want a response or would just want "Yep, read it." (guess I have to wait a week to ask that...)

T1 and MC have never charged for outside contact (they don't tend to write much in response to e-mails or texts, if they respond at all, and phone calls are just occasional).
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 10-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
Rayne_ stressed

159 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Sounds a bit wiley. I would have a hard time trusting him after that.
Rayne_ is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
She of the Great Memory

My Mood:

2 yr Member
26.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne_ View Post
Sounds a bit wiley. I would have a hard time trusting him after that.
Yeah, we're definitely going to discuss it to start next session. (Normally, I'd want to e-mail or call and resolve it now, but...) Trust is a big thing with me...and people changing their minds about something without telling me. I'm going to see if he can give me his policy in writing, too.

Basically, I'm going to see how he handles all this and go from there, like decide whether to continue seeing him. In some ways, it feels like it's bad that this is happening so early on. But as my H put it, better to have it happen now than (like some stuff with T1 and MC) when I *am* really invested in the relationship. I get to see how he handles conflict and my being upset with him about something. If he fails that test--especially when I explain why it's such a big thing to me--well, I have another T on my list I plan to try.
Save
Save
"Thanks for this!" says: