Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy



advertisement
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #21
Magnate
 
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Mountains Rivers Sky
Posts: 2,264 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

752 hugs
given
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
If you work out or vent frustrations, sometimes you recognize what is helping as you have stated in the above quote.



I am sorry but I don't understand. I am sorry in general but I am having a hard day. I think the "plan" is a good one and I am frustrated I cannot do such a simple thing. That is...the two simple things such as train for a running race and start looking for a job. She didn't say have an interview lined up by next week. She just said start looking. I also talked to her about motivation. In CBT therapy she said generally it starts with trying to get the person moving (behavior) rather than cognition (motivation) --- so yeah,I guess we did discuss this a little. It feels a little backwards. However, if someone said I could come ride their Arabian for an hour I would probably be out of bed like five minutes ago. I am one messed up cookie.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 03-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #22
Legendary
 
Open Eyes's Avatar
Open Eyes has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 15,910 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

5 yr Member
12.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

LOL, I wish you lived closer to come ride my arab.

Quote:
In CBT therapy she said generally it starts with trying to get the person moving (behavior) rather than cognition (motivation) --- so yeah,I guess we did discuss this a little. It feels a little backwards.
I can see why you would think that a little backwards. Did you ever hear the saying, "change a thought move a muscle?". I guess what your therapist is doing is getting you to move a muscle so you can change your thoughts, maybe that works better for depression.

I have been a messed up cookie too so I understand.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #23
Magnate
 
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Mountains Rivers Sky
Posts: 2,264 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

752 hugs
given
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
LOL, I wish you lived closer to come ride my arab.



I can see why you would think that a little backwards. Did you ever hear the saying, "change a thought move a muscle?". I guess what your therapist is doing is getting you to move a muscle so you can change your thoughts, maybe that works better for depression.

I have been a messed up cookie too so I understand.


I might as well get up and get going. It doesn't matter if I am sitting at home or out working I will probably still be depressed and anxious. In fact, I have always worked through depressions except for this last one. As I stated earlier I have never had suicidal ideation until this year. I just think that's a sign of a more severe, intractable depression.


Have you ever heard, "RIde an arab change your mood and muscle?" Just looking at those guys with their beautiful faces can lift one's mood.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 03-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #24
Poohbah
dancinglady has no updates.
 
Member Since: May 2013
Posts: 1,033
My Mood:

3 yr Member
784 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
Every Monday this psychologist from my health care provider calls me to check in and see if I have done CBT activities. This week my goals were to step up my half marathon training and look for a job. Mostly what I did was stay in bed.

I feel like telling her that she should not bother calling me anymore. That I know all I need to do is look for work.

I actually feel guilty when she calls. I don't feel like I can tell the truth. The truth is I am swirling in the darkness. I did send her emails to this effect.

Maybe this is a technique counselors use. That is, not really taking too much about the fact I am still extremely depressed.I don't know because I have never experienced suicidal ideation until this year.

When I am positive and upbeat this seems to "please" the counselor. But when I have had a bad week she makes me feel I have somehow failed her. I HATE this dynamic.

I wonder if I should tell her what I am think about hating these check in calls because I am not progressing.
Are you in the US? There are many other resources to help you here. It seems like who you have is not a good fit. You may need a different type of therapy.

Last edited by dancinglady; 03-15-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Forgot something
dancinglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #25
Magnate
 
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Mountains Rivers Sky
Posts: 2,264 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

752 hugs
given
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinglady View Post
Are you in the US? There are many other resources to help you here. It seems like who you have is not a good fit. You may need a different type of therapy.



The fit is perfect. It's normal to have these kinds of feelings. (i.e. wanting to progress at a faster rate) Talking with others and getting their feedback here has been a big help.

Some may not have access to a bunch of resources, especially in the US. If you read enough on Psych Central that becomes pretty obvious. Just saying we need to be very careful with advising people to switch therapists when we don't know their full story. Unless, of course, there is some obvious abusive situation being talked about. That certainly is not the case here.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #26
Magnate
 
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Mountains Rivers Sky
Posts: 2,264 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

752 hugs
given
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

I just don't think therapy helps. I can do DBT and DBT on my own. The therapist is going to call today and ask me what I did this week and I am just going to lie and say that everything is great. In fact, I am going to just lie to everyone from now on and say everything is great, great, great because no one is at all helpful. People love it when you say everything is great, great, great because it makes them feel good.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
Legendary
 
Miguel'smom's Avatar
Miguel'smom has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,250 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,133 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

Find someone you can trust with your real feelings.
__________________
Dx:
Me- schizoaffective, ED NOS 100 mg lamictal ODT, Zyprexa ODT 15 mg
Husband- Bipolar 1
Son- mood disorder nos


Comfortable broken and happy

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Miguel'smom is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #28
Wisest Elder Ever
 
Fuzzybear's Avatar
Fuzzybear has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Cave.
Posts: 65,184 (SuperPoster!)
10 yr Member
30.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
I just don't think therapy helps. I can do DBT and DBT on my own. The therapist is going to call today and ask me what I did this week and I am just going to lie and say that everything is great. In fact, I am going to just lie to everyone from now on and say everything is great, great, great because no one is at all helpful. People love it when you say everything is great, great, great because it makes them feel good.


I speak very little to them as well.. I haven't found them helpful
__________________
Fuzzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #29
Magnate
 
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Mountains Rivers Sky
Posts: 2,264 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

752 hugs
given
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel'smom View Post
Find someone you can trust with your real feelings.

God. That's it. It's enough.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #30
Magnate
 
DechanDawa's Avatar
DechanDawa has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Mountains Rivers Sky
Posts: 2,264 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

752 hugs
given
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear View Post


I speak very little to them as well.. I haven't found them helpful


Yeah, me too. I was too trusting and hopeful. I am okay depending on myself and God, I think.
__________________

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp

Helplines and Lifelines