Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychotherapy

advertisement
Unread 03-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #21
Magnate

DechanDawa has no updates.

My Mood:

752 hugs
given
Default Re: What should I tell the counselor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
If you work out or vent frustrations, sometimes you recognize what is helping as you have stated in the above quote.

I am sorry but I don't understand. I am sorry in general but I am having a hard day. I think the "plan" is a good one and I am frustrated I cannot do such a simple thing. That is...the two simple things such as train for a running race and start looking for a job. She didn't say have an interview lined up by next week. She just said start looking. I also talked to her about motivation. In CBT therapy she said generally it starts with trying to get the person moving (behavior) rather than cognition (motivation) --- so yeah,I guess we did discuss this a little. It feels a little backwards. However, if someone said I could come ride their Arabian for an hour I would probably be out of bed like five minutes ago. I am one messed up cookie.

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 03-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #22
Legendary

Open Eyes has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
12.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

LOL, I wish you lived closer to come ride my arab.

Quote:
In CBT therapy she said generally it starts with trying to get the person moving (behavior) rather than cognition (motivation) --- so yeah,I guess we did discuss this a little. It feels a little backwards.
I can see why you would think that a little backwards. Did you ever hear the saying, "change a thought move a muscle?". I guess what your therapist is doing is getting you to move a muscle so you can change your thoughts, maybe that works better for depression.

I have been a messed up cookie too so I understand.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #23
Magnate

My Mood:

752 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
LOL, I wish you lived closer to come ride my arab.

I can see why you would think that a little backwards. Did you ever hear the saying, "change a thought move a muscle?". I guess what your therapist is doing is getting you to move a muscle so you can change your thoughts, maybe that works better for depression.

I have been a messed up cookie too so I understand.

I might as well get up and get going. It doesn't matter if I am sitting at home or out working I will probably still be depressed and anxious. In fact, I have always worked through depressions except for this last one. As I stated earlier I have never had suicidal ideation until this year. I just think that's a sign of a more severe, intractable depression.

Have you ever heard, "RIde an arab change your mood and muscle?" Just looking at those guys with their beautiful faces can lift one's mood.

Hugs from:
Unread 03-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #24
Poohbah
dancinglady has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
784 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
Every Monday this psychologist from my health care provider calls me to check in and see if I have done CBT activities. This week my goals were to step up my half marathon training and look for a job. Mostly what I did was stay in bed.

I feel like telling her that she should not bother calling me anymore. That I know all I need to do is look for work.

I actually feel guilty when she calls. I don't feel like I can tell the truth. The truth is I am swirling in the darkness. I did send her emails to this effect.

Maybe this is a technique counselors use. That is, not really taking too much about the fact I am still extremely depressed.I don't know because I have never experienced suicidal ideation until this year.

When I am positive and upbeat this seems to "please" the counselor. But when I have had a bad week she makes me feel I have somehow failed her. I HATE this dynamic.

I wonder if I should tell her what I am think about hating these check in calls because I am not progressing.
Are you in the US? There are many other resources to help you here. It seems like who you have is not a good fit. You may need a different type of therapy.

Last edited by dancinglady; 03-15-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Forgot something
dancinglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #25
Magnate

My Mood:

752 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinglady View Post
Are you in the US? There are many other resources to help you here. It seems like who you have is not a good fit. You may need a different type of therapy.

The fit is perfect. It's normal to have these kinds of feelings. (i.e. wanting to progress at a faster rate) Talking with others and getting their feedback here has been a big help.

Some may not have access to a bunch of resources, especially in the US. If you read enough on Psych Central that becomes pretty obvious. Just saying we need to be very careful with advising people to switch therapists when we don't know their full story. Unless, of course, there is some obvious abusive situation being talked about. That certainly is not the case here.

Unread 03-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #26
Magnate

My Mood:

752 hugs
given

I just don't think therapy helps. I can do DBT and DBT on my own. The therapist is going to call today and ask me what I did this week and I am just going to lie and say that everything is great. In fact, I am going to just lie to everyone from now on and say everything is great, great, great because no one is at all helpful. People love it when you say everything is great, great, great because it makes them feel good.

Unread 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
Legendary

Miguel'smom has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,133 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Find someone you can trust with your real feelings.
Son- mood disorder nos

Comfortable broken and happy

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Miguel'smom is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #28
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
30.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
I just don't think therapy helps. I can do DBT and DBT on my own. The therapist is going to call today and ask me what I did this week and I am just going to lie and say that everything is great. In fact, I am going to just lie to everyone from now on and say everything is great, great, great because no one is at all helpful. People love it when you say everything is great, great, great because it makes them feel good.

I speak very little to them as well.. I haven't found them helpful
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #29
Magnate

My Mood:

752 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel'smom View Post
Find someone you can trust with your real feelings.

God. That's it. It's enough.

Hugs from:
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #30
Magnate

My Mood:

752 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear View Post

I speak very little to them as well.. I haven't found them helpful

Yeah, me too. I was too trusting and hopeful. I am okay depending on myself and God, I think.

Hugs from: