Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
LucyD
Grand Poohbah

LucyD Spring is coming..yay

My Mood: Anyone Else Not Able to Take Antidepressants But Need Something for Depression?

3 yr Member
1,463 hugs
given
Red face Anyone Else Not Able to Take Antidepressants But Need Something for Depression?

I can't take any of the SSRI's (cause ocd and ptsd to go beserk) and many of the others can cause more liver damage to someone with cirrhosis like I have.

I have starting doing things to improve my mood like listening to a variety of music, cleaning, reading.

I don't know if there are any other antidepressants or mood elevators that may help me. I am on Gabapentin for nerve pain and it helps my mood a bit. Have tried Lamactil and got hives from it so it's out.

OCD mixed with PTSD, Formerly Bulimic for 25 years, Recovering from Binge Eating Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder Type 2, Recovering from Substance Abuse. NASH, Cirrhosis of the Liver, Osteoarthritis, Diabetes Type 2, Lung Nodules, Survivor of all forms of abuse

Risperidone-1 mg, Gabapentin-600-900 mg, Melatonin-5 mg., Nicotine Lozenges-2 mg., Vape Liquid-3 mg.
LucyD is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
BeyondtheRainbow
Elder

BeyondtheRainbow has no updates.

My Mood: Anyone Else Not Able to Take Antidepressants But Need Something for Depression?

3 yr Member
1,769 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Anyone Else Not Able to Take Antidepressants But Need Something for Depression?

Have you tried Emsam? It's an MAOI so there are some restrictions but t is a patch so doesn't pass through your digestive system and so it's easier on your organs. It's also really effective in my experience (9 years and still doing well on it).
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
Guiness187055
Grand Magnate

Guiness187055 Is sedated

685 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Anyone Else Not Able to Take Antidepressants But Need Something for Depression?

Try Wellbutrin
Rx Xanax 1mg prn
Rx Lamictal 200mg
Rx Restoril 30mg
Rx Thorazine 200mg

I used to be so big and strong
I used to know my right from wrong
I used to never be afraid
I used to be somebody
I used to have something inside
Now just this hole it's open wide
Guiness187055 is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #4
Desoxyn
Creator of Stars

Desoxyn Invega controlled

2 yr Member
525 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I might ask my psychiatrist for something other than an SSRI (Because they give me panic attacks and kill my focus).

I'll let you know what she recommends.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #5
sarahsweets
Poohbah

sarahsweets Humor is my end game..

77 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyD View Post
I can't take any of the SSRI's (cause ocd and ptsd to go beserk) and many of the others can cause more liver damage to someone with cirrhosis like I have.

I have starting doing things to improve my mood like listening to a variety of music, cleaning, reading.

I don't know if there are any other antidepressants or mood elevators that may help me. I am on Gabapentin for nerve pain and it helps my mood a bit. Have tried Lamactil and got hives from it so it's out.
What about an SNRI or Triclyclic? I take cymbalta which is an SNRI and I take lamictal as a mood stabilizer. Many people who have trouble with standard SSRI's take something else like cymbalta or lamictal.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
ArtleyWilkins
Veteran Member
ArtleyWilkins has no updates.

1 hugs
given

Wellbutrin is an SNRI that worked well for me. I used the xl version (there are several types). I have PTSD also. The other nice thing about wellbutrin is that I found it not at all difficult to get off of when the time was right.
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
LucyD
Grand Poohbah

3 yr Member
1,463 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness187055 View Post
Try Wellbutrin
Tried Wellbutrin and it makes me so nervous I can't stand it.

OCD mixed with PTSD, Formerly Bulimic for 25 years, Recovering from Binge Eating Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder Type 2, Recovering from Substance Abuse. NASH, Cirrhosis of the Liver, Osteoarthritis, Diabetes Type 2, Lung Nodules, Survivor of all forms of abuse

Risperidone-1 mg, Gabapentin-600-900 mg, Melatonin-5 mg., Nicotine Lozenges-2 mg., Vape Liquid-3 mg.
Hugs from:
Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
LucyD
Grand Poohbah

3 yr Member
1,463 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What about an SNRI or Triclyclic? I take cymbalta which is an SNRI and I take lamictal as a mood stabilizer. Many people who have trouble with standard SSRI's take something else like cymbalta or lamictal.
Cymbalta can cause liver toxicity. Lamactil gave me hives.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
LucyD
Grand Poohbah

3 yr Member
1,463 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
Wellbutrin is an SNRI that worked well for me. I used the xl version (there are several types). I have PTSD also. The other nice thing about wellbutrin is that I found it not at all difficult to get off of when the time was right.
Made me very very nervous. Can't take it.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
LucyD
Grand Poohbah

3 yr Member
1,463 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheRainbow View Post
Have you tried Emsam? It's an MAOI so there are some restrictions but t is a patch so doesn't pass through your digestive system and so it's easier on your organs. It's also really effective in my experience (9 years and still doing well on it).
I haven't tried any MAOIs but will look into them.