Why are so many people anti medication? - Page 4 - Forums at Psych Central

Old 05-09-2018, 04:24 PM #31
Poohbah

Poohbah
yagr has no updates.

3 yr Member
1,074 hugs
given
Default Re: Why are so many people anti medication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
I appreciate that you've shared your perspective.
Thank you Laurie, I was a bit nervous about doing so out of concern that it would not be welcome in this thread. Not sufficiently to refrain from posting, but I was bracing myself a bit when I came back to see if there were any responses.

I did think of the name of another med that I was on since I wrote this and it brings up another personal reason for not wanting to be on meds. I was put on seroquel for a schizophrenia spectrum disorder - again, one dose and done. But here's another reason for being anti-meds for me that I didn't think of in my original post: I don't have a schizophrenia spectrum disorder - they know that now. I also don't have BPD, they know that now too - though I have been misdiagnosed with that too. In fact, I've been misdiagnosed and prescribed meds for a dozen or more psychiatric conditions that psychologists have now determined that I do not have. I can't get to the real conditions if I am medicated into a stupor - and too many of them did that to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
May I ask what your diagnosis is and how you cope without medication? Has therapy helped you? I've always been on meds (I mean, since I was 24, 30 years ago), but as I've gotten older I'm more curious about how people cope without meds.
We are about the same age by the way... Well, I've been more or less diagnosed with major depressive disorder for thirty years. I am a high functioning autistic, and I have dissociative identity disorder as well.

So what do I do instead of meds? Five years ago I was diagnosed with some physical conditions that don't allow me to exercise at all - literally, at all. That used to be something in my toolbox. However, I still meditate about an hour a day. I have found that for me, a vegetarian diet helps, so I am a vegetarian. I see a therapist who is the best fit I have ever had and yes, she is a big help. I write - a lot. I just shared with someone, about an hour ago, how I recently typed thirty-seven pages over a two week period on 'shame' and how it affects me and didn't stop until I had a life-changing epiphany at the bottom of page thirty-seven.

Anyway, that's about it...but it works for me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 05-16-2018, 07:17 PM #32

Smitkit has no updates.

2 hugs
given

I think it’s a bit complicated.

Based on my experiences with the mentally ill, severely disabled and elderly; the goal of doctors and Pharma is to sedate, sedate, sedate.

The scary thing is that we have been seeing atypical antipsychotics being handed out by GPs as an adjunct to an SSRI for years now. Abilify, Zyprexa. Seroquel?

Depending the doc you talk to, many will say SSRIs and SNRIs are little more than placebos. So it would make sense something else is needed. Throw in some APs and you have a nice numb soccer mom or middle management dad.

And don’t worry, there will be another set of drugs with the slogan “although we don’t know how this BS drug, that we rushed through like a 250 person test in order to get it to market this quarter, actually works...it appeared to help 37.9% of 250 depressed people. Honestly, it’s just lexapro with an extra carbon tacked on somewhere. So ask your doctor a about it and pay top tier prices cuz youre worth.”

I only trust opiates, stimulants and benzodiazepines - as well as, hallucinogens and MDMA that are being tested for public treatments.
Smitkit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 05-17-2018, 11:59 AM #33
Grand Member

Grand Member
AncientMelody has no updates.

3 yr Member
272 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitkit View Post
I think it’s a bit complicated.

Based on my experiences with the mentally ill, severely disabled and elderly; the goal of doctors and Pharma is to sedate, sedate, sedate.

The scary thing is that we have been seeing atypical antipsychotics being handed out by GPs as an adjunct to an SSRI for years now. Abilify, Zyprexa. Seroquel?

Depending the doc you talk to, many will say SSRIs and SNRIs are little more than placebos. So it would make sense something else is needed. Throw in some APs and you have a nice numb soccer mom or middle management dad.

And don’t worry, there will be another set of drugs with the slogan “although we don’t know how this BS drug, that we rushed through like a 250 person test in order to get it to market this quarter, actually works...it appeared to help 37.9% of 250 depressed people. Honestly, it’s just lexapro with an extra carbon tacked on somewhere. So ask your doctor a about it and pay top tier prices cuz youre worth.”

I only trust opiates, stimulants and benzodiazepines - as well as, hallucinogens and MDMA that are being tested for public treatments.
Interesting, considering the myriad of potential risks associated with those meds.
AncientMelody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:26 PM #34
Living Entity

Living Entity
IrisBloom fell off the unicorn, but will be back on shortly

3 yr Member
3,742 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

This bears repeating:

Research, research, research. When you get to a point where you can weigh the risks and benefits of ANY treatment, do your homework. A lot of people on the interwebz are self-proclaimed experts. Please do not take anyone's opinion, bias or personal experience as gospel when it comes to treating your own illness.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:36 PM #35
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
marvin_pa has no updates.

8 yr Member
492 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisBloom View Post
This bears repeating:

Research, research, research. When you get to a point where you can weigh the risks and benefits of ANY treatment, do your homework. A lot of people on the interwebz are self-proclaimed experts. Please do not take anyone's opinion, bias or personal experience as gospel when it comes to treating your own illness.
Why are so many people anti medication?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Totally agree, though - make your choices based on as much information as you can get from multiple sources.
marvin_pa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 05-17-2018, 03:51 PM #36
Poohbah

Poohbah
cool09 has no updates.

5 yr Member
8 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

The first step is being diagnosed correctly and I don't think psychiatrists do that. On average it takes 8 years to be diagnosed bipolar correctly. I was misdiagnosed for years and consequently took a lot of meds which had horrible side effects. I'm diagnosed correctly now and luckily found good medication (with side effects of insomnia which I've been fighting for 3 months).
cool09 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 05-19-2018, 01:52 PM #37
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
WildcatVet is just existing...

295 hugs
given

Because, by far, the majority of people who post are those who have had problems. The thing is, aside from some initial side effects for a small number of patients, far less than 10% of users have effects that require stopping their medications...and most stop without professional advice from their doctors.
The other 90+% of users are too busy enjoying healthy, happy lives to be spending much time on forums...especially those sites where people scare you half to death with tales of their heads spinning in circles while they spew green vomit like the Exorcist!!

BipolarII/Rapid/Mixed/Depressed/Anxiety
RX: Depakote 1000mg > 11/1/17
Vraylar 6mg > 9/4/18
buspirone 60mg > 9/13/17
methylphenidate 20mg > 9/13/17
valproic acid 250mg > 5/8/18

I'm 50 Shades of Bipolar and I have no safe word...
WildcatVet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:01 PM #38

Smitkit has no updates.

2 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientMelody View Post
Interesting, considering the myriad of potential risks associated with those meds.
In the words of bill burr....yeah that sounded like I went to www.imright.com and wrote my post.

My point is there will always be a new ailment and a new drug. Remember when SSRIs got black boxed? I just can’t get past the “we don’t know how it works” thing.

At this point, I trust what works immediately and that has science backing up its pharmacological actions.

PS - I love the word myriad. It was the first intelligent spelling word I learned. Will never forget it.
Smitkit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:30 PM #39
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
marvin_pa has no updates.

8 yr Member
492 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitkit View Post
In the words of bill burr....yeah that sounded like I went to www.imright.com and wrote my post.

My point is there will always be a new ailment and a new drug. Remember when SSRIs got black boxed? I just can’t get past the “we don’t know how it works” thing.

At this point, I trust what works immediately and that has science backing up its pharmacological actions.

PS - I love the word myriad. It was the first intelligent spelling word I learned. Will never forget it.
Whilst the chemical actions of most meds are more or less understood, I'm not sure that anyone is yet fully on top of how any of the mentioned drugs known chemical effects directly translate into psychiatric effects across all patients - psych meds are used based upon empirical observation & theoretical analysis. The exact mechanics of brain function relating to mood disorder are not yet understood to the same level as say, treating a cut or a burn.

Myriad is a lovely word.
marvin_pa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:36 AM #40
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
WildcatVet is just existing...

295 hugs
given

Also, because I think they refuse to accept that they have an illness...because of shame because of society's negative view of MI.

BipolarII/Rapid/Mixed/Depressed/Anxiety
RX: Depakote 1000mg > 11/1/17
Vraylar 6mg > 9/4/18
buspirone 60mg > 9/13/17
methylphenidate 20mg > 9/13/17
valproic acid 250mg > 5/8/18

I'm 50 Shades of Bipolar and I have no safe word...
WildcatVet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: