Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 07-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #11

battlesymphony has no updates.

30 hugs
given
Default Re: The Psychologist and Chief Physician don't know about "brain zaps"!?

I was on 300mg Venlafaxine up until about 2 months ago and was absolutely terrified about coming off it. I was in hospital and had it reduced each week and the week I stopped taking it completely I was at home. I'll admit the first 2 days or so felt hellish with brain zaps, light sensitivity, insomnia then nightmares when I did manage to sleep, but it definitely wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I was thinking I'd be suffering for a lot longer. I know everyone's different and I'd hope that anyone coming off Venlafaxine would do so gradually to reduce the amount of withdrawal effects. Good luck with your journey.
battlesymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
Wandering soul

Fresia wants off of the merry-go-round from hades.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: The Psychologist and Chief Physician don't know about "brain zaps"!?

I used to have a doc say rule of thumb, "ANY med you start up slowly, you come off slowly." I now have gotten to where I try to titrate slowly off anything to be safe because some they have said can stop cold, I have had some nasty side effects. It just isn't worth it. What's the big deal about tapering, so it takes a little longer.

Venlafaxine just wasn't the right med for me, for others it is a wonder. There is no way to tell if it will help until tried as everyone's chemistry is different. When I tapered off VERY slowly, I had no side effects or brain zaps or any issues of any kind. It is different for every one but knowing there can be issues with this one, just take it extra slow.

I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it. -M.Angelou
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. -Ana´s Nin.
It is very rare or almost impossible that an event can be negative from all points of view.
-Dalai Lama XIV
Fresia is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #13

MatBell trying to keep hope alive

My Mood:

38 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresia View Post
I used to have a doc say rule of thumb, "ANY med you start up slowly, you come off slowly." I now have gotten to where I try to titrate slowly off anything to be safe because some they have said can stop cold, I have had some nasty side effects. It just isn't worth it. What's the big deal about tapering, so it takes a little longer.

Venlafaxine just wasn't the right med for me, for others it is a wonder. There is no way to tell if it will help until tried as everyone's chemistry is different. When I tapered very slowly off, I had no side effects or brain zaps, any issues of any kind. Please keep this in mind if you decide to try it.

What is "very slowly" for you? Just so I have something to go off.
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #14
Wandering soul

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatBell View Post
What is "very slowly" for you? Just so I have something to go off.
I was taking 300mg. We decreased by 25 mg every 5-6 days. So it took 8 weeks but it was worth it.

Towards the end, by the last two weeks, I was able to start something else.

I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it. -M.Angelou
It is very rare or almost impossible that an event can be negative from all points of view.
-Dalai Lama XIV
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #15

My Mood:

38 hugs
given

Ok thanks. I'm on 300 too so that works out. Previously I've had brain zaps even with this kind of slow tapering (it was escitalopram)
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #16

My Mood:

38 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlesymphony View Post
I was on 300mg Venlafaxine up until about 2 months ago and was absolutely terrified about coming off it. I was in hospital and had it reduced each week and the week I stopped taking it completely I was at home. I'll admit the first 2 days or so felt hellish with brain zaps, light sensitivity, insomnia then nightmares when I did manage to sleep, but it definitely wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I was thinking I'd be suffering for a lot longer. I know everyone's different and I'd hope that anyone coming off Venlafaxine would do so gradually to reduce the amount of withdrawal effects. Good luck with your journey.

Thanks good to hear some positive experiences.
Unread Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #17
Wandering soul

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatBell View Post
Ok thanks. I'm on 300 too so that works out. Previously I've had brain zaps even with this kind of slow tapering (it was escitalopram)
I had brain zaps with escitalopram. I wish it came in smaller dosages to titrate slower. If I had to do it again, I would have split the tablets. The pharmacist agreed that may have been the better thing to have done. Speaking of that, even the pharmacist is aware of brain zaps.

-Dalai Lama XIV
Unread Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #18
vishva8kumara has no updates.

6 hugs
given

It took me three attempts to find out the right phase I should taper off Cymbalta. Taking just one week from 60 to 0 was stupid. Then tried over a month, and still didn't work. It took 3 long months.

This could vary from person to person depending on their metabolism and type of medication and how long they have been on it.
vishva8kumara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #19
vishva8kumara has no updates.

6 hugs
given

Only someone got off of an SNRI know what it feels like. It is easier for them to prescribe, and would probably never understand what 'withdrawal' really is.
vishva8kumara is offline   Reply With Quote