Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

nataliepatricia6183 has no updates.

My Mood:

74 hugs
given
Confused Geodon vs Abilify

Hi
I've been on Geodon for three months but not
sure if it works that well
How does abilify compare or just any general
experiences?

~ how faint is the heartbeat that constantly craves..never satisfied..hungry..racing thoughts..waiting for the storm after the calm~ ME

Diagnosis: BPD 2 with mixed states, Cyclothymia, GAD, Trichotillomania and Skin picking disorder, some OCD tendencies

Meds: geodon 120 ,Lithium 1200 day, trazodone 300mg Zoloft 200
nataliepatricia6183 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member
still_crazy has no updates.

1,503 hugs
given
Default Re: Geodon vs Abilify

i prefer abilify. its dosed 1x daily, preferably in the morning. you can take it with or without food. weight gain is more of an issue with abilify than with geodon, but its not as extreme as zyprexa, seroquel, or risperidone. akathisia is more common with abilify, but its never been a problem for me.

abilify is generic now. i think the generic is still expensive, so some insurance companies might have rules about covering it (like making you try a cheaper antipsychotic first), or I think some plans still refuse to cover it.

dose depends on what you need. I think the doses start at 2mgs or so (probably more for kids, the elderly, and depression...) and go up to 30mgs. now and then, some doctors prescribe more than 30mgs daily, but i dont think thats terribly common. my current psychiatrist told me that, because of the way abilify works in the brain, if 30mgs doesn't get the job done, you'll probably need something else.

i had minor tremor from abilfy. not good at all, but it was less severe than what i got from the other "atypical" antipsychotics. I now take a lot of high dose vitamins and antioxidants (its called Orthomolecular, I seriously recommend that everybody on psych drugs at least look into it...), and I don't get a tremor or stiff gait or...anything, really.

Try to take it in the morning. If you forget, try to take it as soon as possible. Its strange; somehow, abilify works as an effective tranquilizer, but for some people (me included...), it can make it harder to get to sleep if you take it too late in the day.

geodon is effective for a lot of people. i think it tends to cause more heart problems than many other options. i hear that people don't gain as much weight on geodon as on many other drugs, including abilify. early data suggested a good effect in depression and "negative symptoms" of Schizophrenia, but that hasn't been supported over the years. This is true of all "atypical" antipsycotics. Some of them help some people with depression, but not everyone benefits. Some people report that the antipsychotics--new and old--cause depression or make their depression worse.

It looks like the newer antipsychotics are as effective as the older ones in handling the "positive symptoms" of Schizophrenia, but they don't seem all that effective for the "negative symptoms." On the plus side, they don't cause as many problems that look like the "negative symptoms" ("neuroleptic-induced deficit syndrome," I believe is what its called...).

I hope this helps.
still_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Grand Magnate

*Laurie* is a NAMI group facilitator.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,698 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hi, I will tell you that, for me, Geodon was the weirdest med I've ever taken - and I've been on a lot of meds over the years. The stuff made me feel very tired, but when I'd try to sleep I felt as though I had drunk a gallon of caffeine. It didn't help me in any way at all. I gave it 3 months and stopped taking it.

Compassionate Abiding:
https://mindsetdoc.wordpress.com/201...e-abiding-101/
*Laurie* is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Grand Magnate

bluebicycle has no updates.

My Mood:

11 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Never tried geodon, but I have been on Abilify and now Rexulti.

If you don't know much about Rexulti, well, it's VERY chemically similar to Abilify and it's relatively new. I think Rexulti came out in 2015 or something like that?

Abilify worked okay, I think? I got rid of it because it only lessened my depression and lessened my hypo/mania, but it never prevented them or gotten rid of them. I maxed out my dose.

Now, Rexulti? Pulled me out of a depression. Good stuff. I don't know why it works so much better than Abilify for me, but I guess if Abilify works semi-well for you and you're thinking about ditching it, try Rexulti. Or consider Rexulti instead.

Only major downside to Rexulti is cost since there is no generic, and some insurance companies refuse to cover it if your Dx is not schizophrenia or MDD. My pdoc keeps giving me free samples, so I'm okay, but we're working on an appeal. Just thought I'd mention that

Bipolar 1, GAD, ADHD
Klonopin, Lamictal, Lexapro,
Rexulti, Ritalin
bluebicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
Legendary Wise Elder

88Butterfly88 has no updates.

1,147 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Geodon works much better than Abilify for me and less side effects.
88Butterfly88 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #6

My Mood:

74 hugs
given

Thanks
I think I'm going to switch to Abilify
I'm going to check out that ortho molecular stuff too

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_crazy View Post
i prefer abilify. its dosed 1x daily, preferably in the morning. you can take it with or without food. weight gain is more of an issue with abilify than with geodon, but its not as extreme as zyprexa, seroquel, or risperidone. akathisia is more common with abilify, but its never been a problem for me.

abilify is generic now. i think the generic is still expensive, so some insurance companies might have rules about covering it (like making you try a cheaper antipsychotic first), or I think some plans still refuse to cover it.

dose depends on what you need. I think the doses start at 2mgs or so (probably more for kids, the elderly, and depression...) and go up to 30mgs. now and then, some doctors prescribe more than 30mgs daily, but i dont think thats terribly common. my current psychiatrist told me that, because of the way abilify works in the brain, if 30mgs doesn't get the job done, you'll probably need something else.

i had minor tremor from abilfy. not good at all, but it was less severe than what i got from the other "atypical" antipsychotics. I now take a lot of high dose vitamins and antioxidants (its called Orthomolecular, I seriously recommend that everybody on psych drugs at least look into it...), and I don't get a tremor or stiff gait or...anything, really.

Try to take it in the morning. If you forget, try to take it as soon as possible. Its strange; somehow, abilify works as an effective tranquilizer, but for some people (me included...), it can make it harder to get to sleep if you take it too late in the day.

geodon is effective for a lot of people. i think it tends to cause more heart problems than many other options. i hear that people don't gain as much weight on geodon as on many other drugs, including abilify. early data suggested a good effect in depression and "negative symptoms" of Schizophrenia, but that hasn't been supported over the years. This is true of all "atypical" antipsycotics. Some of them help some people with depression, but not everyone benefits. Some people report that the antipsychotics--new and old--cause depression or make their depression worse.

It looks like the newer antipsychotics are as effective as the older ones in handling the "positive symptoms" of Schizophrenia, but they don't seem all that effective for the "negative symptoms." On the plus side, they don't cause as many problems that look like the "negative symptoms" ("neuroleptic-induced deficit syndrome," I believe is what its called...).

I hope this helps.

~ how faint is the heartbeat that constantly craves..never satisfied..hungry..racing thoughts..waiting for the storm after the calm~ ME

Diagnosis: BPD 2 with mixed states, Cyclothymia, GAD, Trichotillomania and Skin picking disorder, some OCD tendencies

Unread 06-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #7

My Mood:

74 hugs
given

I feel the same way... I think my lithium helps but
I don't think the Geodon has done much
after 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
Hi, I will tell you that, for me, Geodon was the weirdest med I've ever taken - and I've been on a lot of meds over the years. The stuff made me feel very tired, but when I'd try to sleep I felt as though I had drunk a gallon of caffeine. It didn't help me in any way at all. I gave it 3 months and stopped taking it.

Hugs from: