Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 06-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Grand Member
Shadix has no updates.

2 yr Member
3 hugs
given
Default Thoughts about death while on Wellbutrin

I have been taking Wellbutrin for about two weeks now. My doctor prescribed it for my anxiety and depression. So far I have noticed I am more focused at work, which is great because attention problems is another thing I struggle with. However, I have also noticed something else. I have recently started having thoughts about what it is to die. I am not thinking about suicide and I do not want to do or anything. Actually, quite the opposite, it is really hitting me how scary the thought of not existing anymore actually is. I don't know why, but I have never really thought of death in this way before. I have always thought more about the moment of death, but never about the idea of my consciousness and everything I am just ceasing to exist or interact with the world. The thought actually gives me chills. Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Shadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 06-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Grand Member
still_crazy has no updates.

1,624 hugs
given
Default Re: Thoughts about death while on Wellbutrin

psych drugs in general can contribute to stuff like this. could be worse. some 'experts' say that most psych drugs increase the risk of suicide, attempted suicide, and other forms of violence, across the board. special, huh?

I read a shrink's theory on why suicide rates often go up during the early period of antidepressant treatment. something about providing enough energy and such to "unmask" so-called "latent suicidality," before the psych drugs have started getting to the core of the depression. something like that, anyway...

im glad the wellbutrin has provided a bit of energy and focus. chemically, its more closely related to the stimulants than the other available options, which makes it a good choice for some people. i guess my only advice would be, of course, that if your thoughts keep turning towards death and such, you might want to get in touch with your doctor and see about trying a different treatment.
still_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
Legendary Wise Elder

Travelinglady is packing for another trip.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
13.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hi, Shadix. I think you need to tell your doctor.
Unread 06-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
Elder

*Laurie* is a NAMI group facilitator.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,901 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I also think you need to discuss this with your doctor.