Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 06-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
Newly Joined
mickey436 has no updates.

Default Antidepressants have ruined my buzz from alcohol!

I've been on citalopram for little while now. It's been useful, but I think I'm ready to come off them now.

I know most people seem to get an enhanced buzz or tipsyness from drinking on antidepressants, but I've had the opposite reaction: I've noticed since I started that I can no longer seem to get a 'buzz' from drinking at all. I still feel a little out of it, but I don't feel any of the usual joy or euphoria. I just feel woozy.

I was wondering firstly if anyone else has experienced this whilst on an SSRI? Secondly, if you did, did the buzz return after you stopped taking them?

Note: I'm not an alcoholic and it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't, but I'd obviously quite like it too - I enjoy the pleasure from drinking with friends a great deal.
Thanks for any and all input
mickey436 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 06-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Legendary Wise Elder

88Butterfly88 is upset with herself

1,615 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Antidepressants have ruined my buzz from alcohol!

Hi,

Welcome to PC! You're not supposed to drink on some anti-depressants so possibly it's an interaction between the antidepressant and alcohol.
88Butterfly88 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Grand Poohbah

scaredandconfused taking things one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,335 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hello mickey436, I see this is your first post so welcome to PC! I hope you find your time here to be of benefit.

You're not supposed to drink alcohol while on anti-depressants because it is a depressant and will make your medication less effective. It might be a good idea if you plan to stay on the medication, to avoid drinking alcohol.
scaredandconfused is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
Poohbah

with or without you has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Antidepressants have ruined my buzz from alcohol!

Not a good idea to drink while taking AD's - I'm speaking from my personal experience only. Yes, I drank when I was on Paxil and other SSRI combos. The buzz was very brief, because the train wreck of fatigue after just one beer was really intense. I never drank wine or hard liquor so I can't speak to that. It all came to a head for me almost 3 years ago when I was out with co-workers and I felt like I could just fall asleep standing up and started sweating profusely. I went home and was hungover the entire weekend due to dehydration - I hit my bed as soon as I got home that night and didn't wake up until noon the next day. That was the day I knew I had to stop.

That being said, I want to acknowledge that the social aspect of not being able to drink does suck - it always feels awkward for me to say that I don't drink.

I don't think it's a good idea for people like me with chronic depression to drink alcohol anyway. I've made my peace with it. I never felt like I really "needed" it anyway, grew up in an alcoholic home so I was sort of scared out of it.
with or without you is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #5

NeedHaldol has no updates.

I have lost the ability to get a buzz too.

I drink guinness because I love it, but now I am only drinking 1 in a sitting.

My inlaws are huge drinkers and I used to have a blast with them, but now that I am on new meds, the thrill is gone.
NeedHaldol is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Grand Member
still_crazy has no updates.

1,623 hugs
given

hi. ive never been much of a drinker, so...i dont know what that's about.

having said that, i avoid ssri and snri drugs because of the overall apathy and other problems they create, so i can kinda sorta relate (?).

Its your body, your call. Personally, I'd take a good time out drinking now and then over an ssri, but...clearly, i don't know you or your problems. That's just how I look at things.

Hope things work out for you.
still_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2017, 01:04 AM   #7
Poohbah

with or without you has no updates.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHaldol View Post
I have lost the ability to get a buzz too.

I drink guinness because I love it, but now I am only drinking 1 in a sitting.

My inlaws are huge drinkers and I used to have a blast with them, but now that I am on new meds, the thrill is gone.

Guinness was my drink too. But I got to the point when I. couldn't even handle one of them anymore without extreme fatigue. that was when I knew I had to say goodbye to alcohol.
with or without you is offline   Reply With Quote