Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

advertisement
Unread 05-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
hammerklavier has no updates.

7 hugs
given
Default How long has it taken you to find the right meds?

I suppose if one had found the right meds, they might not be paying much attention to this subforum. Nonetheless, I was wondering how long people here have endured a bad stretch to find something that works. For me it's been an 8 month long bad stretch, and I anticipate longer. I sometimes wonder if it will ever end. I'm spinning my wheels all the time about meds and my bad mental states. In my case, I have a sort of depression/anhedonia and some cognitive and sleeping issues that have been bothering me while I've been on these meds. I don't have any psychosis or mania, so the meds have been working in that regard. I take risperidone 3 milligrams and lithium 600. The next foreseeable change may be trying to change out risperidone for olanzapine. I don't know if I need an antidepressant or not, they might just make my symptoms worse, but I functioned very well for 2 years on Ability and Effexor with no mood stabilizer.
hammerklavier is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 05-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Grand Magnate

*Laurie* is a NAMI group facilitator.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,575 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: How long has it taken you to find the right meds?

I've been on psych meds for about 25 years. Over that time I've found meds that worked several times. I'd be on the meds for a few years, then they'd stop working and I'd have to try new ones. So it's an ongoing process, really.

Compassionate Abiding:
https://mindsetdoc.wordpress.com/201...e-abiding-101/
*Laurie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
Legendary

~Christina has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
4,377 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My response to meds change as do most people given enough time..

What works great today might poop out in 6 months or a year or 2

I say just enjoy the good times that everything is going well
Hugs from:
Unread 05-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

crimsoncat is drowning

My Mood:

411 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerklavier View Post
I suppose if one had found the right meds, they might not be paying much attention to this subforum. Nonetheless, I was wondering how long people here have endured a bad stretch to find something that works. For me it's been an 8 month long bad stretch, and I anticipate longer. I sometimes wonder if it will ever end. I'm spinning my wheels all the time about meds and my bad mental states. In my case, I have a sort of depression/anhedonia and some cognitive and sleeping issues that have been bothering me while I've been on these meds. I don't have any psychosis or mania, so the meds have been working in that regard. I take risperidone 3 milligrams and lithium 600. The next foreseeable change may be trying to change out risperidone for olanzapine. I don't know if I need an antidepressant or not, they might just make my symptoms worse, but I functioned very well for 2 years on Ability and Effexor with no mood stabilizer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
I've been on psych meds for about 25 years. Over that time I've found meds that worked several times. I'd be on the meds for a few years, then they'd stop working and I'd have to try new ones. So it's an ongoing process, really.
hi it has taken 8 years to get the combo i am on now which far from perfect is certainly the best so far and the fact I'm still here means it's doing something,!

like a small boat on the ocean ,
sending big waves into motion
like how a single word,
can make a heart open,
I might have only one match
But i can make an Explosion !
crimsoncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #5

BrookeM. is slowly mending.

My Mood:

180 hugs
given
Red face Re: How long has it taken you to find the right meds?

I was lucky enough for the first SSRI I was prescribed to work wonderfully for me. I've been on Zoloft since I was 11, just in varying doses, and it has helped me get through so much. Of course I've done a lot of self-therapy and tried to improve my thinking patterns, but it just helps you do so (at least it has for me). I feel like Zoloft is the best SSRI for anxiety disorders (which is why I was prescribed them in the first place), so maybe it has just worked so well for me because my number one issue was anxiety and not depression or another disorder. Either way, I'm definitely one of the lucky ones to not have to juggle a bunch of antidepressants before finding one that helps. But once again, everyone reacts to every medication differently.
Unread 05-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
Grand Poohbah

Hobbit House Walking the path...

My Mood:

2 yr Member
557 hugs
given

Still haven't hit the lucky number! But getting closer...
You live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality, but you do not know this. When you understand this, you will see that you are nothing. And being nothing, you are everything. That is all.
"Kanu Rinpoche"

Bipolar 1
PTSD
Social Anxiety Disorder
Panic Attacks
Tardive dyskinesia
Dissociative depersonalization derealization disorder

Prozac 40mg
Abilify 15mg
Clonzapam.05mg x2
Depakote 1500mg
Gabapentin 300mg x 3