Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications

Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
netsavy006's Avatar
netsavy006 has no updates.
Member Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 248
8 yr Member
Default Can Cogentin (benztropine) and Ativan (lorazapam) be taken together for akathisia?

I know one side effect of Abilify is akathisia, but should it happen, can I take the medications Abilify with Cogentin 1mg BID, and Ativan 1mg QID. (Ativan I'm already on).

netsavy006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
owllover99's Avatar
owllover99 has no updates.
Member Since: Dec 2009
Posts: 235
My Mood:

5 yr Member
Default Re: Can Cogentin (benztropine) and Ativan (lorazapam) be taken together for akathisia

If you get akathisia, the best thing for it is a lot of Vitamin B6. And I mean a lot. I keep a bottle of 200 mg. B6's in my purse. When mine acts up, I take 4 or 5. It takes about 20 minutes for me to calm down. I found this out by googling it. I just went to my pdoc and he's done some research into it and he was positive about it. Now I also have read and do is take a B complex (one that has all the B vitamins) once a day. It's supposed to help you not have any bad effects of so much B6.
I took Haldol for 16 years. That's how I got it. I used to have to take B6 4 or 5 times a day. But now maybe once every 2 or 3 days. I guess the longer I'm off Haldol. Hopes this helps you.
owllover99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.


HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp

Helplines and Lifelines