Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > > >

advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Caramel

Caramel has no updates.

My Mood: First Experience with Depression was Postpartum

8 yr Member
Default First Experience with Depression was Postpartum

My first experience with depression was postpartum after the birth of my son almost 29 years ago. I was sitting on our back porch watching him play, thinking he was a beautiful child. I had chosen to have a baby, but I was having feelings of wanting to die. I thought I had the baby blues, but they didn't leave.

I told my OB/GYN how I was feeling, and he referred me to a psychiatrist. I was diagnosed with postpartum depression and started on medication. I started to feel better in 4-6 weeks. I think parenting is a hard, stressful job and not feeling well makes it even more difficult.

Depression is a disease, not a character flaw or lack of will power. If you think you may have postpartum depression, please make an appointment with a psychiatrist to get an accurate diagnosis.

Caramel
Caramel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
SophiaG
Poohbah

SophiaG has no updates.

10 yr Member
59 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: First Experience with Depression was Postpartum

I am glad that you chose to recover from this depressive episode and were'nt too proud to get help. Oftentimes people deny their feelings or feel too ashamed to get help.

Oh and thank you for offering such encouraging words to us.
SophiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Alluring Lady

Alluring Lady has no updates.

8 yr Member

Hi Caramel...

Yeah, its great you opted to be back in life not just for yourself but for your baby. I somehow, experienced same situation. I gave birth almost 3 years ago to a cute baby girl. Few days after, I felt of moving to different place, away from my family and just live on my own. My husband noticed my emotional turmoil. He talked to me, spent time longer, went strolling in the mall, shopping and alike. It actually relieved the emptiness I felt. Sometimes, you just need the comfort and care from your love ones.

I agree with you Caramel, if constant communication wont be able to work out, better consult a medical authority.

Take care always
Alluring Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Galetre
Galetre has no updates.

8 yr Member
1 hugs
given
Unhappy Re: First Experience with Depression was Postpartum

What if you are alone with no support system, no family, no friends, no way to afford the doctor for yourself?
Galetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
lady_hawk
lady_hawk has no updates.

8 yr Member

Galetre, where are you from? I know there are people from US and the health system is different. I'm from Canada and just this year lost a fam doctor (retirement). I just found someone new, happens to be a resident at the nearby hospital. I've told her how am i feeling and from this point everything moved. I think now that I feel overwhelmed with the amount of services available. I have no family too, and even if I would have them here I wouldn't share anything. I was never close with my parents, we were more like strangers living under the same roof. I dont have friends i can confide in because I know there are a lot of very judgemental people around me. I cant afford too much too, but again it happens that I got everything free. The postpartum clinic at the hospital where I see psychologist and psychiatrist is free, social worker at the clinic free, even got to meetings for couple councelling through children's aid society for free. Otherwise everything costs $$$ but I guess with me being so suicidal and little kids involved i got the priority. Just try to check with your family doctor , maybe they can help.
lady_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
cindylopez11120
cindylopez11120 has no updates.

8 yr Member

Yes I do agree that a mother experiencing post partum depression should go and consult a doctor or physician for counseling and medication. Talking to a doctor about the symptoms and deciding on what type of treatment is the right thing to do. Counseling and support/help are considered an initial-line cure for light to severe post partum depression. Mothers with light PPD are likely to gain from counseling alone. Those with moderate to severe PPD are encouraged to mix counseling with antidepressant drug and hormone treatment.

Cindy
ppdsupport.com
cindylopez11120 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
FrenzyRose

FrenzyRose has no updates.

8 yr Member

Being brave enough to be medicated,and being honest about your situation,that's it..
Stay in touch with your child..
I
FrenzyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
Liberada
Grand Member

Liberada has no updates.

10 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I had Postpartum Depression. I'll PM or email if any one wants. I'm too ashamed to post publicly. If you even think you may need help, PLEASE get it. I didn't.
Liberada is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
AvidReader
Grand Member

AvidReader has no updates.

8 yr Member
247 hugs
given

My first experience with depression was postpartum, too. I would encourage any mom who believes she may be suffering from this to get help, and if you don't get a satisfactory answer right away, keep trying!

I made the mistake of calling my OB/GYN's office and asking for a referral and got a totally unsatisfactory response. I ended up getting help from my actual OB/GYN eventually, but I stupidly did not press on after receiving that first unhelpful reply.
AvidReader is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
Meg12
Meg12 has no updates.

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidReader View Post
My first experience with depression was postpartum, too. I would encourage any mom who believes she may be suffering from this to get help, and if you don't get a satisfactory answer right away, keep trying!

I made the mistake of calling my OB/GYN's office and asking for a referral and got a totally unsatisfactory response. I ended up getting help from my actual OB/GYN eventually, but I stupidly did not press on after receiving that first unhelpful reply.
I would be glad if there is a system to help postpartum depression affected women like me in India. I need to some help on this.
Meg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: