Poohbah

Carmina has no updates.

My Mood: Dampening down hypervigilance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
120 hugs
given
Default Dampening down hypervigilance

I can cope pretty well with emotional regulation when I'm fully conscious but when I'm sleeping I find my sleep gets interrupted a lot still by startle responses to sounds outside (often things like car doors slamming or people loading something into a car in the early hours of the morning). And when I get woken this way it's a real shock and my nerves are on edge for a long time afterwards which makes it hard to get back to sleep (this morning I didn't at all). This is an autonomic reaction so there is no way I can use cognitive coping strategies like I can in the daytime for panic reactions. Neither does it help to put in earplugs as that just makes me feel more vulnerable, I do seem to need to be aware of my environment.

Are there any strategies for this sort of reaction?
Carmina is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
leomama
Grand Magnate

leomama Depressed

5 yr Member
174 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Dampening down hypervigilance

Earplugs, itís the only way, or a fan.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
Open Eyes
Legendary

Open Eyes has no updates.

5 yr Member
14.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am sorry Carmina, I can definitely relate to the challenge. Yes, ear plugs might help, a loud fan, once someone suggested getting a tape of ocean sounds. What I ended up doing is I leave the TV on all night, something where it's talking so I don't want to look at the TV. There is also a small box/sound box that therapists use that makes a fan like noise they put just outside their door during therapy so anyone waiting in the waiting room can't overhear a session they are having with a patient.
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
Carmina
Poohbah

Carmina has no updates.

120 hugs
given

As I said earplugs are not an option as if I can't hear at all it makes me panicky - I think the whole point of hypervigilance is to feel safe - it just makes it hard to sleep at times. Soundscapes do help me get to sleep (I use TaoMix 2) but I don't keep them on all night as once I'm asleep any sound can wake me, even that. I need to find a way to unwind my woundup nervous system.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Carmina
Poohbah

Carmina has no updates.

120 hugs
given

I've been discussing this with my therapist today, we think selecting noise that promotes slow-wave sleep might help. I've been exploring the use of structured noise to do this e.g:

Frontiers | Acoustic Enhancement of Sleep Slow Oscillations and Concomitant Memory Improvement in Older Adults | Frontiers in Human Neuroscience

Also thinking of buying some of these:

SleepPhones v6 Wireless Bluetooth Portable Headband: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
may24

may24 has no updates.

2 yr Member
388 hugs
given

I'm strugling with this too and I'm feeling quite desperate lately...
I've tried different medication, using earplugs, meditation tapes etc. but nothing seems to help.
What kind of therapy are you doing? I'm currently doing talk therapy (psychodynamic), but I'm starting to think that maybe I need to do something different to help me with this.
may24 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-14-2019, 02:02 AM   #7
Carmina
Poohbah

Carmina has no updates.

120 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by may24 View Post
I'm strugling with this too and I'm feeling quite desperate lately...
I've tried different medication, using earplugs, meditation tapes etc. but nothing seems to help.
What kind of therapy are you doing? I'm currently doing talk therapy (psychodynamic), but I'm starting to think that maybe I need to do something different to help me with this.
I find talking on its own of limited value, I'm doing proper art therapy with a therapist working from an embodied relational perspective.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-14-2019, 04:04 AM   #8
seeker33
Poohbah

seeker33 has no updates.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
1,254 hugs
given

What about doing physical exercise to calm down your nervous system? There's plenty to try : somatic experiencing, yoga, Tai chi, tapping...also mindfulness, especially body scan exercise.
These things might not work immediately but they could help your NS heal over time.

I love nature, simplicity and minimalism
seeker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
AB2371

AB2371 Editing

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
156 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmina View Post
I can cope pretty well with emotional regulation when I'm fully conscious but when I'm sleeping I find my sleep gets interrupted a lot still by startle responses to sounds outside (often things like car doors slamming or people loading something into a car in the early hours of the morning). And when I get woken this way it's a real shock and my nerves are on edge for a long time afterwards which makes it hard to get back to sleep (this morning I didn't at all). This is an autonomic reaction so there is no way I can use cognitive coping strategies like I can in the daytime for panic reactions. Neither does it help to put in earplugs as that just makes me feel more vulnerable, I do seem to need to be aware of my environment.

Carmina, I am glad to hear you understand the importance of sleep in regulating your mood and mental health. Is is possible to alter your sleep schedule? How long have you been living like this?

Sometimes, I feel something similar to what you are describing. My mind, relaxed, wonders and corrects itself almost immediately. That happens to me at night and not in the early morning and it is a total bummer. Deep breathing exercises help me with that. Also, I want to try the suggestions mentioned in the previous posts. I think my environment(along with my happy pup) could use Soundscapes, maybe before you know your mind will become hyperactive and search for peace of mind. Have you thought about embracing your hypervigilance?

Believe, Listen, Earn, Think, Try, Love
AB2371 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #10
Sippi
Sippi has no updates.

3 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmina View Post

I have the same issue when asleep and awake. Every sound is distinct and huge to me. I use a noise maker when I sleep-waterfall or stream played on a higher volume. This helps a lot at night, but not during the day. Iím going to try earbuds and nature videos during the day or music. Thanks for bring this up. Also, I canít deal with it when someone raises their voice. I feel like I have no skin.
Sippi is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: