Chat Leader

DocJohn is feeling better...

My Mood: Welcome to Partners of People with Personality Disorders

10 yr Member
136 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Arrow Welcome to Partners of People with Personality Disorders

If you're someone who's in a current relationship with someone who has a personality disorder, or someone who's had a past relationship with them, this is a forum to share experience, coping tips, and more.

Please keep in mind -- we're a place for mental health support. Be respectful when discussing these issues and try not to generalize.

DocJohn
DocJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
SakuraLi
SakuraLi has no updates.

8 yr Member
Default Re: Welcome to Partners of People with Personality Disorders

Hi Dr. John, how are you? I have a request. I wonder if you could start a forum for people with partners who have schizophrenia, I have a boyfriend with sz and I`ve been having such a hard time and I`ve been on here searching for answers and on many other websites and it`s almost impossible to find positive, hopeful info that actually deals with coping strategies, improving communication issues and making the best of the relationship. There is pretty of general info which is good but no specialized info on romantic relationship with SZ partners, I wish there was more. If you have any advice on where to get this type of information and if you could start a forum I would greatly appreciate it. take care and have a great day.
SakuraLi is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
michelle421

michelle421 has no updates.

8 yr Member
3 hugs
given

Thanks DocJohn!

this seems like a great idea. it just so happens that last week i attended a support group for partners of people with mental illness. it was the first time i was able to go, and i'm so glad i did! it helps to know that i am not the only person going through some of the struggles i have with my DID partner. that type of support is priceless.

i hope this forum can also be a good resource for those of us looking to connect and support each other through the complications of close relationships involving mental health struggles as well.

thanks again.
michelle421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
twistedmoon

twistedmoon has no updates.

8 yr Member

Thank you so much for this, its perfect! There really is So little organized information available for partners.
twistedmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Meaghan3011
Meaghan3011 has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Re:PMDD

I am needing advice on anything about PMDD , i feel my partner has this problem but she wont find out or admit to a problem .
She has now decided she isnt happy with her life and is leaving me .
What can you do for someone with this problem that wont admit it or get help ?
Meaghan3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
kimber1
kimber1 has no updates.

10 yr Member

Hi Dr John. My husband suffers with depression and at times closes down totally. There is very little support for partners of people suffering with depression. It would be nice to find other people who understand situation.
kimber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
uncharteddvs
uncharteddvs has no updates.

5 yr Member

At times I loose my self respect.age 64 Off and on for 10 years I have felt this. My wife went on a sex addiction starting over the internet and leading to phone sex and 6 sexual one night events for 3 to 4 years. Finally she came clean with this behavior and wanted to leave me. We worked it out and are still together. However, I still get flash backs like when I was in the Marine reserves and cannot seem to clean it out of my mind. It really hurts when I talk about it and leaves me thinking I did not do enough to keep her satisfied. I am 64 now and still have these episoses. I have discussed this with her off and on which makes her upset that I have not moved on. I take zoloff, xanax, and for my epilipsy lamotrigine. My bother has had many sexual incounters that I lost count of. My father puts him on a pedistal. Where I am just the intellegent geek of the family: Eng. with a masters. I feel like I do not have the courage to do anything like my brother and my wife have done. I feel like I have fail in basic life requirements for healthy marital relationships. I have possibly 15 to 20 years of my life to live. I do not want to live them like this. Believe it or not, talking to my wife helps, but I dare not inter into the discussion the above thoughts.
uncharteddvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
richardharris
richardharris has no updates.

5 yr Member
Unhappy Re: PMDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaghan3011 View Post
I am needing advice on anything about PMDD , i feel my partner has this problem but she wont find out or admit to a problem .
She has now decided she isnt happy with her life and is leaving me .
What can you do for someone with this problem that wont admit it or get help ?
Answer: I don't think you can do anything until they are so low and defeated that they agree to treatment. but don't be surprised that if in 3 days they are feeling better ... and treatment is off the table.
richardharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
goodselfbadself
goodselfbadself has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Re: PMDD

Hey Meaghan, I understand how you feel it is like looking through a clouded window and helpless to clear it up....to be honest this is a decision that your mate has to make for themselves. A tightrope, because in the process of supporting and tolerating our mates, we neglect ourselves. Good luck to you!
goodselfbadself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
mountainhigh
mountainhigh has no updates.

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
If you're someone who's in a current relationship with someone who has a personality disorder, or someone who's had a past relationship with them, this is a forum to share experience, coping tips, and more.

Please keep in mind -- we're a place for mental health support. Be respectful when discussing these issues and try not to generalize.

DocJohn
Hi DocJohn, Psych Central helped me tremendously a few years ago when dealing with my divorce. I'm logging on again because my 19 yr old daughter is an addict and am looking for the appropriate forum. I apologize too, as I've forgotten some of the proper protocol and use of the forums.
mountainhigh is offline   Reply With Quote