Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
MonikerPending
MonikerPending has no updates.

Default How does someone get psychiatrically hospitalized?

Hello.

I've posted here before, asking for help for my husband and getting directed to a different forum for help instead (at the time our concerns were his neurological problems), but at this point we suspect that what he has is a combination of neurological problems and severe psychological problems. My husband, Elijah, is seeking asylum in the United States. He is a former sex slave, and has severe PTSD. He is also suspected to be autistic. He almost knows as much about the world as a first grader. He has violent outbursts, and I get assaulted almost every day, in addition to having to physically prevent him from assaulting other people; I don't press charges against him, because I know he is mentally ill, our shared experiences with trauma give us a sort of mutual understanding of each other, and I do not want him to die (which will happen if he gets arrested, and thus deported) just because of a mental illness that he is desperately seeking help for, but I am not capable of dedicating the rest of my short life to preventing him from going to jail.

Crisis services were called on me because of threats of suicide from the both of us, not because we actually want to die, but because I've lost my SSDI, and we're going to become homeless again soon, which will result in our freezing to death. This occurred last night. Elijah almost assaulted the police officer the moment he entered the building, but did not manage to do so because I physically placed myself in between him and the officer in order to prevent him from making physical contact, and I had to force my body against his like some football linebacker. We were both brought to the hospital for a psychological evaluation, but only I was evaluated, and we were both discharged. This matches our previous attempts to get Elijah psychiatrically hospitalized. All that happens is Elijah or myself being forced to stare at a ceiling for several hours before being let go.

Elijah has also been in hospitals before, threatening hospital staff members and brandishing sharp objects as weapons, but has never been given inpatient psychiatric care. He has been barred from a hospital for allegedly making terroristic threats to blow up the hospital while seeking care (he does not remember making those threats). He has been barred from a restaurant for walking in at night, without shoes, demanding free food and blaming the restaurant staff for all of his problems (another incident he does not remember happening).

How do we get Elijah hospitalized on a psychiatric inpatient basis, without him getting criminal charges against him?
MonikerPending is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Miguel'smom
Legendary

Miguel'smom has no updates.

My Mood: How does someone get psychiatrically hospitalized?

5 yr Member
3,727 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: How does someone get psychiatrically hospitalized?

Can you get him a out patient psychiatrist? They'll evaluate him and then send him to the hospital or treat with meds.
Son- mood disorder nos

Comfortable broken and happy
Miguel'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
MonikerPending
MonikerPending has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel'smom View Post
Can you get him a out patient psychiatrist? They'll evaluate him and then send him to the hospital or treat with meds.
We've tried that for months... He has an appointment soon with a psychiatrist, but there's no telling if he'll last that long.

He was brought to the ER by police on Tuesday, after APS saw some of the posts he was making on Facebook, and believed that my life may be in danger because of him. He was prescribed Gabapentin and released Wednesday afternoon, and he began taking the medication on Thursday, but so far the medication seems to be having strange effects on him - he's calmer than he had been before throughout most of the day, but there seems to be a huge burst of emotional instability, extreme paranoia, and worse than usual cognitive impairment, that begins about 2 or 2.5 hours after he takes it, and lasts from half an hour to an hour, before he calms down.
MonikerPending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Dnester
Veteran Member

Dnester has no updates.

My Mood: How does someone get psychiatrically hospitalized?

22 hugs
given

Do you live on east or west coast?
Dnester is online now   Reply With Quote