Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > > >

advertisement

Old 07-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
Anonymous52314
Anonymous52314 has no updates. Edit

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Is it time to end dieting?

I have the same trouble. While I haven't my RMR done professionally, I've entered my stats into a few different online BMR and TDEE calculators. I come up with 1600 calories to lose weight. When I stick with it, I don't sleep for the hunger and I experience the same symptoms you have - those of one who is under eating by too much. Which makes me wonder, "what the hell, body?!" I'm not actually starving myself, why does it seem like my body goes into some sort of starvation, survivival mode, at which seems to me(from what I've been reading) like a modest deficit in calories. My body just refuses to do even that slow and safe weight loss of 1lb per week?

I'm worried about my health too. My dad was chubby most of his adult life and he died of pancreatic cancer. But on the daily, my feet hurt, and so do my hips and knees some days. I sweat easily, and it's difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. I feel tired carrying around this extra weight.

I too want very much to say good bye permanently to any kind of accounting diet. They all make me crazy and miserable very quickly.

I just want to eat healthy, without overeating and get some exercise, and accept that it may take me 2 years or more to reach a healthy-for-me weight. But I'm finding that a challenge.

Like you, my body gives me a tremendously hard time if I try to conventionally diet. I am wildly impressed by your ability to still stick with it for so long. I last about a week at most. But, I guess I have the struggle of clinging to the comfort of food as friend, numbing agent...it's not serving me well.
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 07-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
Emily Fox Seaton
Poohbah

Emily Fox Seaton has no updates.

My Mood: Is it time to end dieting?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2 yr Member
224 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortie View Post
But on the daily, my feet hurt, and so do my hips and knees some days. I sweat easily, and it's difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. I feel tired carrying around this extra weight.
That is why I am back on the diet trail. I was having terrible knee problems recently and though weirdly, they went away pretty quickly after starting dieting, i know I can't go back.

There always seems to be this tension where I think I am eating enough to be healthy and then don't lose... and then seem to need to eat way too little to lose. One of of my diets, VLCD, medically supervised... I didn't know it at the time but now know my body was suffering stress. My cholesterol went though the roof, my thyroid went down. At least I know what to look for now.
Emily Fox Seaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
Anonymous52314
Anonymous52314 has no updates. Edit

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I wish you the very best, Emily.

I am going to stick to recovery from compulsive/emotional eating, by way of a moderate food plan. Which will result in very slow weight loss, I know. But, for me, if I keep going down the diet route, I will most likely still be this weight, or this weight once again 5 years from now. And I'll still be as crazy inside my head with regards to food and diets. I'm aiming for a healthier body and a less squirrelly brain .

For me, diets are not the solution to why I overeat - although my disordered brain likes to hope they might be. Moderate eating is initially harder, because it doesn't have that instant gratification of quick weight loss...but I know it's the path I need to be pursuing for all around better health.
"Thanks for this!" says: