ECT Good bad does it work for some??? - Page 2 - Forums at Psych Central

Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM #11

Bird Feeder has no updates.

8 yr Member
14 hugs
given
Default Re: ECT Good bad does it work for some???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnester View Post
I never had it. My ECT treatments were in 1995 before TMS came out. I think putting people under and making them have a seizure is crazy. Alot of the times when people die in surgery its because of anesthesia. Being put under every other day 8 times was terrifying for me. It was supposed to be more but I refused more. They make you watch a video before you do it and you sign a waiver saying you know there can be fatal complications. Not for me. I would never do it again. It shows me how little mental health treatments have come. It used to be done without anesthesia and they would put you in a full blown seizure. Now it is done with anesthia and they put you in a really light seizure. Still how midevil is that?
I can quite honestly say that without ECT I would be dead.
Bird Feeder is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 03-03-2019, 11:26 AM #12

Ohseedee has no updates.

29 hugs
given

Those who say ECT is barbaric, medieval, etc, tend to be thinking of the ECT of the past, or the ECT depicted in the media.

I have received ECT in the past and it was the only thing that worked when medication didn't. It saved my life. Of course, it came with negative side effects such as memory loss (most of it temporary). But if I have to choose between negative side effects and death, I'll choose the former.

It is a safe procedure where they put you to sleep and induce a small seizure. I think of it like rebooting the computer, but rebooting the brain instead. I have no idea why it works but it does.
Ohseedee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:55 PM #13
Magnate

Magnate
Marylin has no updates.

3 yr Member
763 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I found it helped me a lot!
Marylin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:29 PM #14
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Calla lily12 Calla is very , very sad

593 hugs
given

I had ECT. (uni lateral,ultra brief pulse) I had a good reaction to it. Later they added Ketamine, which I didn't like. If the ultra brief pulse isn't working, they change to brief pulse or go for bilateral. I haven't had many memory issues. Where I go, they test your memory every few treatments, so I feel confident they won't let my brain turn to mush.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:53 AM #15
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
ArtleyWilkins has no updates.

1 hugs
given

I went through ECT treatments on two different occasions. 9 the first round, and then a few years later a set of 8. I insisted on unilateral rather than bilateral, and my pdoc was very careful to respect my requests and help me experience as little memory loss as possible. Both times I lost memory, short-term, surrounding the time of treatment, but I experienced no long-term memory loss or cognitive issues. I returned to work quickly with no problems. ECT pulled me out of depressions that were not responding to medication, allowing me to get back home to my family rather than ending up in the hospital for an extended period of time. ECT saved my life; that is not hyperbole.

My husband had ECT. His was bilateral and he had to undergo more treatments than I did before he finally started finding relief. He was much more disoriented during the treatment period than I was, and I do think he has had some long-term issues with short-term memory since ECT. He has other serious health issues that may have compounded his response. It's hard to know. But ECT did help him with his depression, and he also was able to return to work with no problems. His memory issues may or may not be ECT-related; it's hard to tell what is what with him. But the memory issues are something that has not affected his ability to work.
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:38 PM #16

splion has no updates.

2 yr Member
2 hugs
given

I'm glad to hear that ECT has worked for many of you... I perform ECT at work and see people come out of really dark places - including psychosis and catatonia. May you be well, SPL
splion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:22 PM #17

skibum801 has no updates.

5 yr Member
7 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnester View Post
I never had it. My ECT treatments were in 1995 before TMS came out. I think putting people under and making them have a seizure is crazy. Alot of the times when people die in surgery its because of anesthesia. Being put under every other day 8 times was terrifying for me. It was supposed to be more but I refused more. They make you watch a video before you do it and you sign a waiver saying you know there can be fatal complications. Not for me. I would never do it again. It shows me how little mental health treatments have come. It used to be done without anesthesia and they would put you in a full blown seizure. Now it is done with anesthia and they put you in a really light seizure. Still how midevil is that?
No one wants to have ECT. People with serious, unrelenting depression not only need something like ECT sometimes, but they often don't have another choice. And while it may conjure up barbaric scenes from the past in which people have induced seizures, why does that matter? I think it's more important that it is effective in treating severe depressive states. I understand your experience may have been negative, but that's no reason to denounce ECT.
skibum801 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote