Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Other Treatments

advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #1

abusedtoy died 8 years ago

My Mood:

57 hugs
given
Default Thinking about Clinical Hypnotherapy?

My T does clinical hypnotherapy, however, I am not sure is it some sort of mind controlling type of hypnosis, where you have no control of yourself after being hypnotised? Does it help with trauma? Also, what do they do in clinical hypnotherapy to get you into the trance-like state?
Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Major Depression on a background of chronic dysthymia. Please note that C-PTSD is an umbrella term for borderline personality disorder, dissociative identity disorder and somatisation disorder and such. Dissociative symptoms included are depersonalisation, derealisation and pseudo-hallucination, in my case.
abusedtoy is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
Grand Member
RubyRae has no updates.

454 hugs
given
Default Re: Thinking about Clinical Hypnotherapy?

My T has experience with hypnotherapy but did not do that with me because there's a chance of creating false memories.

He did not/does not think it's ideal when working with trauma clients.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #3

abusedtoy died 8 years ago

My Mood:

57 hugs
given

Thanks RubyRae. Why is there a chance of creating false memory and it is not ideal for trauma patients?
Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Major Depression on a background of chronic dysthymia. Please note that C-PTSD is an umbrella term for borderline personality disorder, dissociative identity disorder and somatisation disorder and such. Dissociative symptoms included are depersonalisation, derealisation and pseudo-hallucination, in my case.
abusedtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

mostlylurking has no updates.

2,147 hugs
given

It could be that your T wants to use hypnosis as a kind of relaxation to encourage other parts of you to come forward. I am not sure it would be all that much different than just helping you to relax, kind of like a guided meditation, in hopes that other parts might feel safe to come out. I'm sure she would talk to you all about it first, if you ever decide you want to try it. That would be entirely up to you, of course.
mostlylurking is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Grand Magnate

Breadfish has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,064 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've done hypnotherapy for conversion disorder. It was mostly relaxation with some visualization thrown in. If I remember correctly had to mentally "crawl into" (weird translation) my hand, visualize what's wrong, then fix it. However those things made me very agitated so we mostly stuck to the relaxation parts. Which wasn't all that different from breathing-focused mindfullness, thinking back on it. (I might be recalling some things inaccurately)

It wasn't really helpful to me. However I don't know what hypnosis for not-conversion disorder is like.

-- J.R.R. Tolkien
Breadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: