Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Other Treatments

advertisement
Unread 07-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
mwake has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Best B Complex Vitamin Brand for MH?

Hi, I've heard some mention positive experiences when taking B complex vitamins as a way to lesson anxiety and depression especially when it is linked to deficiency issues.

However, I am bewildered by all the different ingredients and supposed quantities that make up the b complex. This is making it hard for me to choose a product to buy. Of course I could just get general store brand but I'm looking for something that maybe optimised for improving mental health.

Does anyone had experience with any highly regarded b complex brand /product that are helpful for improving mental health issues?

Many thanks.
mwake is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 07-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Wise Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,682 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Best B Complex Vitamin Brand for MH?

Hello mwake: I don't know the answer to your question. However I'm also a member on PC's sister website: NeuroTalk. There are members over there who are knowledgeable with regard to vitamins & supplements. I'll post a thread over there & see what I can get in the way of some guidance. If I get some useful info, I'll post it for you here.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
BrokeTech has no updates.

My Mood:

13 hugs
given

I have tried a few supplements with Vitamin B Complex or some but not all of the Vitamin B's in them, not just for anxiety or mental health, but the current one I take is to help with anxiety.

Based on my experiences, I don't really think B Complex is what helps with mental health--it's the other ingredients that might exist in a supplement that can help. The first supplement I bought is called Finest Nutrition B-Complex with Vitamin C. I got it from Walgreens, and it claims to help with energy metabolism and immune system help. My mother got a bottle of it, as well. She thinks it helps her, but I never felt like it did anything for me whatsoever. I really needed energy. The second one I bought had B-Complex in it but also caffeine, and I think the caffeine is what helped me feel more energetic.

The one I take now is called Calm Now, and it has all these other ingredients in it aside from Vitamin B's that I researched and found they are known or thought to help with anxiety...so it's not the Vitamin B's. This supplement also does help me with anxiety but not with energy, which supports what I said about the second supplement and the caffeine.
BrokeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Pandita-in-training

Perna has no updates.

10 yr Member
533 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I take gummy vitamins, mostly just before bed where I pretend it's candy/dessert for the day as I don't like to eat much sugar :-)

I like these Vitafusion ones www.gummyvites.com and think the new B Complex one is making a difference, helping me sleep better, etc.
Unread 07-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Wise Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,682 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Best B Complex Vitamin Brand for MH?

Hello mwake: Here is the reply I received from the NeuroTalk member who is considered to be the most knowledgeable, with regard to vitamins & supplements, on the Neurotalk website:

I can't really answer vague questions like this one, because I don't know anything at all about their history and needs. Everyone is different, and no one supplement is going to help "mental health".

This person you are helping can start to have some vitamin tests at a doctor's. Also testing for DNA mutations would help.
MTHFR testing is revealing mutations in many nutrients--up to 40% of adults can benefit from testing. There are other blood tests doctors can do for B12, B1, B6, folate etc.

Just taking B-complex without a direction may expose this person to excess B6 which is detrimental to nerve function. Too little of B6 can be damaging to nerves as well as too much. The safest to do yourself is B-Right by Jarrow. It is not really high or low and is a good compromise. It also has activated forms for most vitamins which many others don't have.It is not expensive and can help those with marginal problems but no specific guarantees for improving mental health issue.

Hope this helps to clarify your situation.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
mwake has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
Hello mwake: I don't know the answer to your question. However I'm also a member on PC's sister website: NeuroTalk. There are members over there who are knowledgeable with regard to vitamins & supplements. I'll post a thread over there & see what I can get in the way of some guidance. If I get some useful info, I'll post it for you here.
Thanks for your effort and time in assisting me, that was really kind of you. I might look into DNA testing as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTech View Post
I have tried a few supplements with Vitamin B Complex or some but not all of the Vitamin B's in them, not just for anxiety or mental health, but the current one I take is to help with anxiety.

Based on my experiences, I don't really think B Complex is what helps with mental health--it's the other ingredients that might exist in a supplement that can help. The first supplement I bought is called Finest Nutrition B-Complex with Vitamin C. I got it from Walgreens, and it claims to help with energy metabolism and immune system help. My mother got a bottle of it, as well. She thinks it helps her, but I never felt like it did anything for me whatsoever. I really needed energy. The second one I bought had B-Complex in it but also caffeine, and I think the caffeine is what helped me feel more energetic.

The one I take now is called Calm Now, and it has all these other ingredients in it aside from Vitamin B's that I researched and found they are known or thought to help with anxiety...so it's not the Vitamin B's. This supplement also does help me with anxiety but not with energy, which supports what I said about the second supplement and the caffeine.
I agree with you, well to be honest I am going to be taking the b complex vitamin b with 5htp supplements. In have seen a lot of people have mentioned that 5HTP is even better than st Johns wort at helping with anxiety/depression. But I was advised to combine 5HTP supplements with vitamin b complex for better effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
I take gummy vitamins, mostly just before bed where I pretend it's candy/dessert for the day as I don't like to eat much sugar :-)

I like these Vitafusion ones www.gummyvites.com and think the new B Complex one is making a difference, helping me sleep better, etc.
Thanks for your recommendation. I did just buy some yesterday, I actually bought liquid b complex supplement. All seems like natural ingredients too:

https://well.ca/products/prairie-nat...ex_112681.html
Unread 07-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
BrokeTech has no updates.

My Mood:

13 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwake View Post
I agree with you, well to be honest I am going to be taking the b complex vitamin b with 5htp supplements. In have seen a lot of people have mentioned that 5HTP is even better than st Johns wort at helping with anxiety/depression. But I was advised to combine 5HTP supplements with vitamin b complex for better effects.
I would be interested in knowing how that works for you, so definitely report back.
BrokeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #8
mwake has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTech View Post
I would be interested in knowing how that works for you, so definitely report back.
I will do thanks