Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Other Treatments

advertisement
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
klhpeace has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Valerian Root for Anxiety

Hello everybody,

I've shared this information on other forums/websites, and have not had any interesting conversations about it. So, I'm posting it here, in hopes that someone may find this information helpful.

------------------------

I found a new herbal supplement that works wonders for me and my anxiety issues. I thought I would share my current experiences with it, in case it helps anyone else who is looking for a natural way to treat anxiety.

I struggle with day/night time anxiety. My symptoms range from heart palpitations, excessive sweating/trembling, stress induced nausea, de-personalization, breathing difficulties, cyclical thoughts, and feeling that I could have a panic attack at any second. The only time I found relief from my suffering is when I was asleep.

I needed relief fast, but I didn't want to start the prescription route. I ended up doing a lot of research on herbal supplements to treat anxiety. (Some of the interesting options are; Kava, St. John's Wort, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm, Chamomile.) So I purchased a bottle of Valerian Root Capsules in 500mg. They are supposed to work as a natural sleep aid, but can also be taken during the daytime.

I've been taking about 1,500 - 2,000 mg a day. (500mg every 6-8 hours.)

PROS:
-You can take it daily, nightly, or whenever you feel stressed.
-No tolerance, no addictions, no known long-term effects.
-Safe. No overdose stories, no allergic reactions.
-Valerian Root naturally contains complex B-Vitamin and Magnesium which also increase calmness.
-The effects can be felt in an hour or less.
-I've read that you can take Valerian Root with things like Melatonin, Passion Flower, Kava, to increase the relaxing effects.

CONS:
-The smell! It can be difficult to get past the stink of the herb, (it's actually known for it's stench) but the effects are worth it.
-Valerian Root is sold in many forms; capsules, tables, extracts, tinctures, and teas. I've heard from many people that the tablets made with "Valerian Root Extract" is not as effective or potent. Make sure to get the ground roots in capsule form, they seem to work best for most people.
-As always, studies with plants and herbs are mixed and insufficient.

(*All in all, Valerian Root is an herbal supplement and may not work with your body chemistry. You should always consult a doctor before adding new medicines to your anxiety-management program.)

Also, I would like to mention that I'm not 100% normal yet.
Valerian Root did not "cure" my anxiety. It only helps me manage the physical symptoms. I still have to watch negative self-talk, see a counselor, and other things. But at least now I can breathe, do my daily tasks, and not feel like I'm dying. (Again, all of this is just my personal experience and what I've learned in using this herb.)

Has anyone else had experience with Valerian Root?
What about other herbs and natural remedies like Kava and Passion Flower?

I hope this helps someone out there who is also struggling and looking for other options to quell anxiety and stress.

Thanks for reading.
peace and love.
klhpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Account Suspended
hamster-bamster has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,828 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Valerian Root for Anxiety

Did not work for me. Cardiovascular exercise works for me. Cost-free and no side effects.
hamster-bamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Squaw is BLESSED..!!!

My Mood:

8 yr Member
216 hugs
given
Smile Re: Valerian Root for Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhpeace View Post
Hello everybody,

I've shared this information on other forums/websites, and have not had any interesting conversations about it. So, I'm posting it here, in hopes that someone may find this information helpful.

------------------------

I found a new herbal supplement that works wonders for me and my anxiety issues. I thought I would share my current experiences with it, in case it helps anyone else who is looking for a natural way to treat anxiety.

I struggle with day/night time anxiety. My symptoms range from heart palpitations, excessive sweating/trembling, stress induced nausea, de-personalization, breathing difficulties, cyclical thoughts, and feeling that I could have a panic attack at any second. The only time I found relief from my suffering is when I was asleep.

I needed relief fast, but I didn't want to start the prescription route. I ended up doing a lot of research on herbal supplements to treat anxiety. (Some of the interesting options are; Kava, St. John's Wort, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm, Chamomile.) So I purchased a bottle of Valerian Root Capsules in 500mg. They are supposed to work as a natural sleep aid, but can also be taken during the daytime.

PROS:
-Valerian Root naturally contains complex B-Vitamin and Magnesium which also increase calmness.
-I've read that you can take Valerian Root with things like Melatonin, Passion Flower, Kava, to increase the relaxing effects.

CONS:
-The smell! It can be difficult to get past the stink of the herb, (it's actually known for it's stench) but the effects are worth it.
-Valerian Root is sold in many forms; capsules, tables, extracts, tinctures, and teas. I've heard from many people that the tablets made with "Valerian Root Extract" is not as effective or potent. Make sure to get the ground roots in capsule form, they seem to work best for most people.

(*All in all, Valerian Root is an herbal supplement and may not work with your body chemistry. You should always consult a doctor before adding new medicines to your anxiety-management program.)

Valerian Root did not "cure" my anxiety. It only helps me manage the physical symptoms. I still have to watch negative self-talk, see a counselor, and other things. But at least now I can breathe, do my daily tasks, and not feel like I'm dying. (Again, all of this is just my personal experience and what I've learned in using this herb.)

I hope this helps someone out there who is also struggling and looking for other options to quell anxiety and stress.

Thanks for reading.
peace and love.
Very thankful for ideas concerning natural herbal remedies. I have taken Kava before, years ago, and found out the media was reporting side effects concerning liver damage, so I stopped taking it. It was originally recommended to me by the pharmacist, as a natural form of valium. I giggled about everything while taking it..Thanks for the post..
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
bamapsych has no updates.

5 yr Member
182 hugs
given

My therapist recommended Valerian Root or Calms Forte to me about 2 months ago for anxiety. They are both sleep aids. I haven't tried either of them because I have to stay awake/alert for school and work. I've only searched at Walmart, but they don't have the Calms Forte.
bamapsych is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Jimi the rat

-jimi- is a vermin. Please feed me anyway.

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I had the super strong type, and maybe if I took around 15 I could sense some difference. Or it could been my imagination.
-jimi- is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
Grand Member
InfiniteSadness has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
58 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaw View Post
Very thankful for ideas concerning natural herbal remedies. I have taken Kava before, years ago, and found out the media was reporting side effects concerning liver damage, so I stopped taking it. It was originally recommended to me by the pharmacist, as a natural form of valium. I giggled about everything while taking it..Thanks for the post..
I heard of Kava, but was wondering what was up with the liver warning...
InfiniteSadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Magnate

krisakira has no updates.

5 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

It has helped me some too. I take it when I just want to mellow out. It doesn't have nearly the same effect as an ativan or other prescription med though.

krisakira is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #8

wildchild r has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
16 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhpeace View Post
Hello everybody,

------------------------

PROS:

CONS:

Thanks for reading.
peace and love.
how long does Valerian herb keep? Ive had some for a long time,years, Ive kept in a bottle.Im worried its too old to take as an herbal tes
wildchild r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
Poohbah

sunsetsunrise has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
226 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaw View Post
Valarian root is natural form of Valium. It is said that the people who had liver problems while taking Kava had liver problems to begin with. Or were taking way too much of the product. From what I have heard and read, if your liver is in good condition, and you take Kava responsably, it is okay. over the years i have heard this from two herbalists who I do trust. I am careful about taking it. But I have taken it ( under the direction of a good herbalist ) with no adverse results.
sunsetsunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Grand Magnate

shortandcute has an update.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2,611 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

st. john's wort does not work for me. what does work for me is valerian, chamomile, and lemon balm. i notice i feel better when i'm being consistent with my B-complex, too.

http://missracgel.wixsite.com/bearhugs
shortandcute is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: