advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #11
Elder

justafriend306 a mother, girlfriend, friend

440 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: The next maintenence person who barges into my apt is getting hurt

Yes, 24 hour notice or in an absolute emergency. This is something to communicate with your property management company. You may have agreed to a different arrangement as part of your lease agreement.

Question: What are these emergencies requiring all this entering of your suite?
justafriend306 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
Grand Poohbah

DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.

My Mood:

362 hugs
given

To answer your questions, they did give me a notice on Sat, however, what triggered me was the fact that when this guy came over, it was first thing in the morning and I had just gotten out of bed and was still in my underwear and without a shirt. When he came knocking I shouted give me a moment but he didn't listen to me nor did he reveal who he was until after he came in after not listening to me. Luckily I left a shirt and a pair of shorts in the bathroom and I instinctively ran to the bathroom to grab them. I seriously have never put clothes on that fast lol.

These people don't understand that it triggers my PTSD when people do that. I've been on my own with no outside support from family and friends for close to 8 months now and I'm rather scrawny computer/video game geek so if somebody comes in like that my first instinct is to grab my katana that I keep for self defense (I can't own a gun due to my MI and Japanese Katanas are freely available and cheap) and prepare to attack or run since I have no real way to defend myself or hold my own in a fight with most males without a weapon of some kind.

I will be having a talk with management about this issue. The Apt. where I live is supposed to be my safe place but I don't feel safe when people freely come and go out of the Apt. like they live here.

At least I feel better now than I did this morning.

DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 06-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

bearguardian is realities per minute

484 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
To answer your questions, they did give me a notice on Sat, however, what triggered me was the fact that when this guy came over, it was first thing in the morning and I had just gotten out of bed and was still in my underwear and without a shirt. When he came knocking I shouted give me a moment but he didn't listen to me nor did he reveal who he was until after he came in after not listening to me. Luckily I left a shirt and a pair of shorts in the bathroom and I instinctively ran to the bathroom to grab them. I seriously have never put clothes on that fast lol.

These people don't understand that it triggers my PTSD when people do that. I've been on my own with no outside support from family and friends for close to 8 months now and I'm rather scrawny computer/video game geek so if somebody comes in like that my first instinct is to grab my katana that I keep for self defense (I can't own a gun due to my MI and Japanese Katanas are freely available and cheap) and prepare to attack or run since I have no real way to defend myself or hold my own in a fight with most males without a weapon of some kind.

I will be having a talk with management about this issue. The Apt. where I live is supposed to be my safe place but I don't feel safe when people freely come and go out of the Apt. like they live here.

I have a dull katana, more as symbolic and fantasy object.

But I do understand you. When someone barges into my room my instinct is to throw sharp objects at them. But I smile and say, "please wait outside".
Unread 06-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #14
Poohbah

scaredandconfused taking things one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,052 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:

Since they gave a notice ahead of time and then knocked before coming in, they didn't do anything wrong legally. In the future you should try to be more prepared on the day (dressed and whatnot) so you aren't as surprised by them. These people probably have to work on many apartments each day and so they can only be expected to wait for so long especially if they gave you advanced warning.

Yes, mental illness sucks. But in this case, the onus is on you to be prepared so that you aren't affected by these triggers.
scaredandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #15
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

362 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredandconfused View Post
Since they gave a notice ahead of time and then knocked before coming in, they didn't do anything wrong legally. In the future you should try to be more prepared on the day (dressed and whatnot) so you aren't as surprised by them. These people probably have to work on many apartments each day and so they can only be expected to wait for so long especially if they gave you advanced warning.

Yes, mental illness sucks. But in this case, the onus is on you to be prepared so that you aren't affected by these triggers.
Sorry but I have a hard enough time as it is falling asleep at night and waking up in the morning without feeling tired all day and my sleep schedule has only become more screwed up after starting school. In the rare event that I am able to sleep in and recharge without having to be up at 5-6 AM and be out the door to catch the bus by 6:30 AM, I'm sleeping in.

As long as I pay rent, they should work around my schedule. Getting decent sleep and self care is more important to me than their maintenance.

This is especially true when they come in just to do something that I can easily take care of on my own.

Hugs from:
Unread 06-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #16
Poohbah

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,052 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Sorry but I have a hard enough time as it is falling asleep at night and waking up in the morning without feeling tired all day and my sleep schedule has only become more screwed up after starting school. In the rare event that I am able to sleep in and recharge without having to be up at 5-6 AM and be out the door to catch the bus by 6:30 AM, I'm sleeping in.

As long as I pay rent, they should work around my schedule. Getting decent sleep and self care is more important to me than their maintenance.

This is especially true when they come in just to do something that I can easily take care of on my own.
In an ideal world everyone would work around our schedule...unfortunately that's just not how the world works. These maintenance people have their own schedules to follow and if they give the proper warning ahead of time, they have every right to enter your home and get on with their own work schedule. Paying rent does not give you any special privileges.
Unread 06-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #17
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

362 hugs
given

Quote:
In an ideal world everyone would work around our schedule...unfortunately that's just not how the world works. These maintenance people have their own schedules to follow and if they give the proper warning ahead of time, they have every right to enter your home and get on with their own work schedule. Paying rent does not give you any special privileges.
I find it rather amusing how you always seem to want to act like you're oh so superior to me in so many of my threads by telling me how things supposedly work.

Guess what? You're not better than me. You're not older and wiser than me because we're the same age. If anything, I have likely had it harder than you because you seem to have access to better services to get help with your mental health in Canada than I have had access to living in the southern US (which is ****** even by US standards for mental health care).

You might think me as an entitled selfish piece of work but your opinion means little more to me than the billions of other people alive in the world today.

So please refrain for telling me how "things are" in any of my future threads unless I specifically ask other user's opinions.

Thank you.

P.S I specified that this thread is more of a rant thread than anything. That reply you quoted was meant as such.

Last edited by DarknessIsMyFriend; 06-19-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Unread 06-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
Poohbah

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,052 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
I find it rather amusing how you always seem to want to act like you're oh so superior to me in so many of my threads by telling me how things supposedly work.

Guess what? You're not better than me. You're not older and wiser than me because we're the same age. If anything, I have likely had it harder than you because you seem to have access to better services to get help with your mental health in Canada than I have had access to living in the southern US (which is ****** even by US standards for mental health care).

You might think me as an entitled selfless piece of work but your opinion means little more to me than the billions of other people alive in the world today.

So please refrain for telling me how "things are" in any of my future threads unless I specifically ask other user's opinions.

Thank you.

P.S I specified that this thread is more of a rant thread than anything. That reply you quoted was meant as such.
I'm definitely not trying to come across as superior by any means, and please don't assume what I think of you because it's just inaccurate. I think you have been through a lot and have some issues to work through, like most people on this forum.

But surely you can see how everyone has their own schedule to go through and that includes maintenance people...that's all I was trying to say. I apologize if what I said upset you, it was not meant to be rude but rather realistic. I like a more realistic approach to things in life, as well as planning for solutions which is why I mentioned how being ready ahead of time may be helpful in the future.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #19
Grand Poohbah

My Mood:

362 hugs
given

Quote:
I'm definitely not trying to come across as superior by any means, and please don't assume what I think of you because it's just inaccurate. I think you have been through a lot and have some issues to work through, like most people on this forum.

But surely you can see how everyone has their own schedule to go through and that includes maintenance people...that's all I was trying to say. I apologize if what I said upset you, it was not meant to be rude but rather realistic. I like a more realistic approach to things in life, as well as planning for solutions which is why I mentioned how being ready ahead of time may be helpful in the future.
You told me that you find me to be entitled in my school thread last week and I've been upset with you ever since. Maybe I do value your opinion after all because I've been negatively affected by a couple of things that you said to me in the past.

I'm trying to be kind with you because you seem like you mean well, but as I've said before, I'm bad with people so it isn't uncommon for me to get defensive with people who may mean well but say something that I might find hurtful rather than talk to them about it.

I guess I'm sorry for over reacting. Maybe as things get more stable for me in my life I will stop being so aggressive towards people.

Unread 06-20-2017, 12:21 AM   #20
Magnate

childofchaos831 has no updates.

My Mood:

4 hugs
given

Quote:
I don't think that is the point here. OP was not dressed. I can say, with no doubt whatsoever, I don't care how much warning ahead of time someone give me, if you knock on my door, and I say "Just a minutes, you need to stay out there until I answer. I am home, so you have no reason to use the key. The key is for when you need to enter when the tenant is not home.

I promise you, I know a lot of people who would have the same reaction as the OP, dressed or not, just waking up or not. Yes, they have a schedule. It takes one minute to put on clothes and answer the door. That is not messing with their schedule.

Diagnoses:
Schizoaffective Bipolar, C-PTSD, DID, Major Anxiety, Chronic Pain
childofchaos831 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: