Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > OCD and Trichotillomania

advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
Newly Joined
lepopo1 has no updates.

Default Obsession about making mistakes when Speaking

I'm a 24 year old male with OCD, Lately I have been obsessed and worried that I am developing some sort of speech aphasia. I noticed one day a few weeks ago that I sometimes say the wrong word when speaking, for example I'd say dinner instead of lunch or this year instead of next year. Since I realized that I was doing this I happened to google this phenomenon which led me to a page about aphasia. Now I seem to be saying words wrong at a greater frequency and I'm worried that I have some sort of neurological problem. Do you think the fact that I am obsessing about making mistakes when speaking is actually causing me to make more mistakes?

Hope someone can help
lepopo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
9,269 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Obsession about making mistakes when Speaking

Hello lepopo: I see this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to PsychCentral! I hope you find the time you spend here to be of benefit.

I don't know, of course, if you're here simply seeking advice with regard to this particular concern or if you plan to hang in here with us. However, should you be planning to continue on (we hope you do)... may I suggest you introduce yourself over on PC's New Member Introductions forum? Here's a link:

https://forums.psychcentral.com/new-...introductions/

There's a lot of support that can be available here on PC. The more you post, & reply to other members' posts, the more a part of the community you will become. Plus there are the chat rooms where you'll be able to interact with other PC members in real time (once your first 5 posts have been reviewed & approved.) So please keep posting!

P.S. I'm sorry I cannot comment with regard to your concern. Perhaps there will be other members, here on PC, who can. If not, however, PsychCentral has a sister website: "NeuroTalk". You might also take a look at the forums over there & see if you see anything you think may be of some help. Here's a link:

https://www.neurotalk.org/

"Confess your hidden faults. Approach what you find repulsive. Help those you think you cannot help. Anything you are attached to, let it go. Go to places that scare you." (Advice, from her teacher, to the Tibetan yogini, Machig Labdrön)

"In other traditions demons are expelled externally. But in my tradition demons are accepted with compassion." Machig Labdrön, Tibet, 11th Century
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
yellowmouse19 has no updates.

Default Re: Obsession about making mistakes when Speaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepopo1 View Post
I'm a 24 year old male with OCD, Lately I have been obsessed and worried that I am developing some sort of speech aphasia. I noticed one day a few weeks ago that I sometimes say the wrong word when speaking, for example I'd say dinner instead of lunch or this year instead of next year. Since I realized that I was doing this I happened to google this phenomenon which led me to a page about aphasia. Now I seem to be saying words wrong at a greater frequency and I'm worried that I have some sort of neurological problem. Do you think the fact that I am obsessing about making mistakes when speaking is actually causing me to make more mistakes?

Hope someone can help
I do think that you're obsessing about this is causing you to make mistakes. It's making you more nervous and seems to be "throwing you off of your game". You should practice working through this and retraining your brain muscles to act differently when speaking.
yellowmouse19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #4

IndigoChild can't stop talking with myself

My Mood:

105 hugs
given

Hi Lepopo, welcome to PsychCentral from a newbie too, I hope that you'll enjoy being here!

IMO you're dealing with a mild expressive dysphasia, nothing obsessive compulsive. You should try to find a speech theraphist ASHA ProFind - Communication help near you[Speech-Language%20Pathologist]
I hope it helps, wish you all the best
That is the simple secret of happiness. Whatever you are doing, don’t let past move your mind; don’t let future disturb you. Because the past is no more, and the future is not yet. To live in the memories, to live in the imagination, is to live in the non-existential. And when you are living in the non-existential, you are missing that which is existential. ― Osho
IndigoChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:24 AM   #5
Roselil12 has no updates.

Better consult a therapist.
Roselil12 is offline   Reply With Quote