Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 09-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
bec1384
bec1384 has no updates.

Unhappy Is it possible I have OCD? Help!

Iíve been dealing with this for a few months, but I canít help but actually ask about it. A lot of things I do, and decisions I make are based off of if I donít pick this thing instead of that or if I donít do this, then something bad will happen. My dog will die, my mom will die, my brother will die, etc. It isnít every little thing, but a good majority of decisions I make go like that. If I pick this spoon instead of that one, itís going to poison me. If I donít pick that water bottle instead of the other water bottle, itís contaminated and will somehow kill me. If I give my mom this plate, sheíll die if she eats from it. If I donít step on this leaf, Iíll get hurt. If I step on a rock out of fear that something bad will happen, but I step on it and it still doesnít feel right, I have to go back and step on it again until it feels right. I canít step on cracks at all, or Iíll break my momís back. If I donít make that thing face the front, somebody will die (although that one is definitely not as common for me to do as the others). Itís so irritating and angers me and frustrates me to no end. Iíve looked up OCD so much, and done so much research, but I canít help but get the feeling that I donít actually have OCD because I donít check things repeatedly. I donít count. I donít clean. I donít wash my hands. I feel like I donít really have it, and that some of these compulsions are only caused because Iíve looked up the symptoms, so now Iím just acting on them because I know what they are. But, Iíve been doing most of these things months before I even began researching OCD. I honestly thought it was anxiety for a while, but I also donít want to be one of those people who thinks they have OCD just because they have a few little quirks. Any advice? Thank you.
bec1384 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood: Is it possible I have OCD? Help!

2 yr Member
11.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Is it possible I have OCD? Help!

Hello bec: I noticed this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to PsychCentral! I'm sorry I can't tell you whether or not what you're experiencing would be diagnosable as being OCD. We here on PC cannot diagnose anyone. Our purpose here is to share experiences, provide one another with support & to exchange information.

What you described certainly does sound similar to traits that are associated with OCD. But you're correct that this could all simply be related to anxiety as well I would guess. In order to get a handle on what's going on with you, you really need to consult a mental health professional. One other thing you could do would be to take some of the quizzes & tests that are on offer here on PC. This would, perhaps, give you a clearer picture of what you may be dealing with. Here's a link to the listing of quizzes & tests that are available:

Psychological Quizzes and Tests

I hope you find PC to be of benefit.
Skeezyks is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 09-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
bec1384
bec1384 has no updates.

Default Re: Is it possible I have OCD? Help!

Iíve taken many of those quizzes which all say or kind of imply that I have (although I use that word lightly, I hate to say I ďhaveĒ something when Iíve never been diagnosed with having something) OCD. Thank you though
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 09-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
TheLonelyChemist
Poohbah
TheLonelyChemist I am losing my mind

1,177 hugs
given

It can be. It is possible, however, it is very difficult to say anything for certain, as you know. Are you willing and able to afford therapy or at least get checked by a doctor? It may be of help.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
-jimi-
Jimi the rat

-jimi- is a vermin. Please feed me anyway.

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

To have OCD you don't have all behaviors. It's enough to have one type of OCD behavior to be diagnosed.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
bec1384
bec1384 has no updates.

Edit: Was reading a little more about OCD lately and I read something about sexual intrusive thoughts and how those are linked to OCD. I was a little taken aback because damn, that sounds like me. I read more and more and I realized that I definitely have those intrusive thoughts that really distress me.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
Worst.Person
Worst.Person has no updates.

Do you know that the thoughts make no sense and are irrational? If not then it might be delusions/paranoia. I'm sorry there's not much for me to say to help you, I'm not good at that. But there are different types of OCD, and you only need one for it to be OCD, people don't usually have all types, they might have one type, a few types, or occasionally all types.
Worst.Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
bec1384
bec1384 has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worst.Person View Post
Do you know that the thoughts make no sense and are irrational? If not then it might be delusions/paranoia. I'm sorry there's not much for me to say to help you, I'm not good at that. But there are different types of OCD, and you only need one for it to be OCD, people don't usually have all types, they might have one type, a few types, or occasionally all types.
Yes, I know theyíre irrational. Thank your for replying anyways
Old 09-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
-jimi-
Jimi the rat

-jimi- is a vermin. Please feed me anyway.

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Sexual thoughts is common, usually intrusive thoughts come in the shape of things that we rather not want pop into our minds, and because of that it does! It is like the brain came up with a clever idea how to torture us. I used to have weird ideas as a teen about how easy it would be to hurt pets. It was the last on earth i wanted! I guess because of that I couldn't get rid of the thought.

OCD is like the thinking part of us is still rational, but the emotions went complete bonkers. With my checking OCD that I used to have, I could know I had checked something enough, but my feelings were still crazy and didn't agree with me but told me that I hadn't checked.

It's like that with OCD that something would happen if I don't do a certain thing. It's my most strong OCD type. I know my stepmom won't die if I take a glass of milk in ANY glass, but that is just part of me knowing that. Reason knows. Feelings still tell me she will die if I choose the wrong glass.

I had this so long my OCD narration runs parallel with my normal life. I can live with it because my meds really helped making it less so I have been able to challenge some of the behavior.

I was promised therapy for this about four times and it never happened. Then I gave up and relied on meds and what I could do to mimic therapy, just at a much smaller scale because you really need another person's help to do the real thing even if you know the method. It's a good idea to analyze the things and put behavior in three categories, OCD that are super hard to break, behavior that is not super scary to break, and behavior that is just on the line between what is OK to do and what isn't. I targeted all the behaviors that only caused me tolerable mental pain to work with. After a while I naturally worked myself up to the types of behaviors that weren't so scary to break, because now those had become weaker in their force. That way I could stop the monster that is OCD to grow.