LucyD
Poohbah

LucyD has no updates.

My Mood: Picking

3 yr Member
620 hugs
given
Blush Picking

I think this may be ocd but not sure. I have been picking at my scalp and bringing blood to it. I also search my body for anything that feels like something I could pick and pick at those things till they bleed and when they scab I keep pulling scabs off. I know this is not a good thing to do to heal these things.
Anyone else heard of this or do this?
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 06-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

2 yr Member
11k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Picking

I believe this is what is referred to as dermatillomania. Here's a link to a YouTube video by family therapist, Kati Morton, on the subject:

https://youtu.be/ieSBwEzbe-s

Also, here's a link to an "Ask the Therapist" column, from PsychCentral's archives, where a person wrote in asking about her struggle with skin picking:

https://psychcentral.com/ask-the-the...rmatillomania/

My best wishes to you...
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
FreshAirisBetter

FreshAirisBetter has no updates.

Default Re: Picking

You are not alone. I do the same and when I feel stressed or anxious, it gets much worse.
Lately I have been experimenting with putting towels over all the mirrors in my home. It has helped tremendously! But like you, I scan with my fingers without even thinking about it. Another trick I've tried is seeking skin care help. Since I am very low income, I found a nearby beauty school that offers facials for a fraction of the cost. I find that if I've spent money for something as luxurious as a facial, I tend to not touch my face for a couple days afterwards to prolong the nice fresh skin. It boosts my self esteem as well.
The youtube video above was sort of helpful, but nothing I don't already know honestly. I know I have picking OCD, I want to find ways to stop it or at least reduce it. I suppose putting towels over mirrors and seeking skin care treatments are ways to deal with triggers and stressors. Oh, and small band-aids on places I've picked repeatedly help too. If you find things that work for you let me know! Thank you for posting.
FreshAirisBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
raging vortex
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison
raging vortex has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,644 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyD View Post
I think this may be ocd but not sure. I have been picking at my scalp and bringing blood to it. I also search my body for anything that feels like something I could pick and pick at those things till they bleed and when they scab I keep pulling scabs off. I know this is not a good thing to do to heal these things.

I frequently will do this with my legs

when they get sore, I have the perfect excuse

lots of little areas to make bleed easily if I wanted to
raging vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
LucyD
Poohbah

LucyD has no updates.

3 yr Member
620 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
I believe this is what is referred to as dermatillomania. Here's a link to a YouTube video by family therapist, Kati Morton, on the subject:

https://youtu.be/ieSBwEzbe-s

Also, here's a link to an "Ask the Therapist" column, from PsychCentral's archives, where a person wrote in asking about her struggle with skin picking:

https://psychcentral.com/ask-the-the...rmatillomania/

My best wishes to you...
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
LucyD
Poohbah

LucyD has no updates.

3 yr Member
620 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirisBetter View Post
You are not alone. I do the same and when I feel stressed or anxious, it gets much worse.
Lately I have been experimenting with putting towels over all the mirrors in my home. It has helped tremendously! But like you, I scan with my fingers without even thinking about it. Another trick I've tried is seeking skin care help. Since I am very low income, I found a nearby beauty school that offers facials for a fraction of the cost. I find that if I've spent money for something as luxurious as a facial, I tend to not touch my face for a couple days afterwards to prolong the nice fresh skin. It boosts my self esteem as well.
The youtube video above was sort of helpful, but nothing I don't already know honestly. I know I have picking OCD, I want to find ways to stop it or at least reduce it. I suppose putting towels over mirrors and seeking skin care treatments are ways to deal with triggers and stressors. Oh, and small band-aids on places I've picked repeatedly help too. If you find things that work for you let me know! Thank you for posting.
I appreciate all your ideas.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
LucyD
Poohbah

LucyD has no updates.

3 yr Member
620 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging vortex View Post
I frequently will do this with my legs

when they get sore, I have the perfect excuse

lots of little areas to make bleed easily if I wanted to
I know what you mean.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:03 AM   #8
osagirl
osagirl has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirisBetter View Post
Hi!
I have the same issue. Mirrors are the worst, I know. I took mine down because it was too much. Now dealing with finger scanning and rubbing. But itís better then was before in terms of sores.
osagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:07 AM   #9
osagirl
osagirl has no updates.

Same thing here with picking. Thatís ocd related issue. Just learning to use this forum. Thanks
osagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Greens5
Greens5 has no updates.

2 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyD View Post
Yep. I have the same exact problem.
Greens5 is offline   Reply With Quote